Around the League: News/Notes

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The Carolina Hurricanes are indeed a "bunch of jerks".

Two years after Montreal offer sheeted Sebastian Aho they have done the same thing with Kotkaniemi.

It's a one year deal at $6.1 mil that includes a $20 signing bonus.

:joker:

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Jerks? I actually thought that was brilliant. Funniest story of the off season and good on them for sticking it back to Montreal.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Jerks? I actually thought that was brilliant. Funniest story of the off season and good on them for sticking it back to Montreal.
I agree. It was pretty hilarious. Btw cool name.
Speaking of Grunge did anyone see Brandon Tanev's profile photo on NHL.com ? he's making a classic Kurt Cobain grunge expression on purpose :)
Brandon Tanev Stats and News
8479293.jpg

Seems like he's the William Karlsson of the team with the 3 goals in 3 games. Breakout season perhaps.

Reactions: GrungeHockey

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
The Tanev look has nothing to do with grunge he was imitating the accidental photo from Pittsburgh last year.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
That’s a look I did a lot in high school when I was stoned and trying to keep my teachers from finding me out and clearly over compensating… because stoned.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That is sad, embarrassing and unfortunately par for the course.

Putting the teams (and personal) success ahead of basic humanity.
So even after the cup win they still don’t do the right thing. You got your cup but opt not to conduct an internal investigation or contact the police. Just let the guy resign and treat it as nothing happened.

Cisse

Jun 25, 2016
Forssa
I agree with Quenneville that at the time there was no need to drag the players into the allegations but there was no reason not to start the internal investigation right away and if there was something found they should have involved the police at that time.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Wonder how they make it work from a cap compliance perspective.

They'll probably trade another guy(like they did with Fleury, Schmidt etc.) to create some room.

I mean, so far they haven't really been shy in trading away whoever they wanted(no matter how that looked team chemistry wise) if they had to create cap space.

Anyways, another top center in our division.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
They'll probably trade another guy(like they did with Fleury, Schmidt etc.) to create some room.

I mean, so far they haven't really been shy in trading away whoever they wanted(no matter how that looked team chemistry wise) if they had to create cap space.

Anyways, another top center in our division.
Yeah. Stone and Eichel on one team, McDavid and Draisaitl on another.

Reactions: Ray Martyniuk

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
And a couple of young guys in L.A. and Anaheim.
Yep. And too early to speak about the Sharks but Eklund and Dahlen have helped the team already this season. If Ryan Merkley produces this year AND they can re-sign Hertl, they would be in good shape for a while. They also have some decent prospects in Knyzhov, Robins, Bordelau and Weisblatt.

We are basically stuck in purgatory for now. What I mean by that is, not enough skill on the team to be setup for immediate success BUT also not enough picks/prospects at this time to know what the future holds for us. The more I think about it, I would move as many assets as we can at the TDL to load up on picks/prospects. Anyone who is not part of the future core, should really be moved out. I am going to be optimistic that some of the moves that GMRF makes this TDL and the coming off-season gives us the glimpse of what kind of timeline we are looking at for the Kraken to be a competitive team.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Yep. And too early to speak about the Sharks but Eklund and Dahlen have helped the team already this season. If Ryan Merkley produces this year AND they can re-sign Hertl, they would be in good shape for a while. They also have some decent prospects in Knyzhov, Robins, Bordelau and Weisblatt.

We are basically stuck in purgatory for now. What I mean by that is, not enough skill on the team to be setup for immediate success BUT also not enough picks/prospects at this time to know what the future holds for us. The more I think about it, I would move as many assets as we can at the TDL to load up on picks/prospects. Anyone who is not part of the future core, should really be moved out. I am going to be optimistic that some of the moves that GMRF makes this TDL and the coming off-season gives us the glimpse of what kind of timeline we are looking at for the Kraken to be a competitive team.

Like I've said in other threads, if we're not able to turn it around and are mostly out of the playoff picture by February(Olympic break), we should identify the players we want to keep and try to sell the rest for picks/prospects.

Overall I think we have some good pieces and a solid core, but just nothing special and without one or two of these we'll have a hard time competing.

I also don't think keeping most of this team together is going to do more than being mediocre, which is the worst thing you can be in american sports.

But again, let's wait until at least Feburary and then we can actually make those decisions.
Maybe we're able to turn it around and still compete for the playoffs.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
It's still early. I wouldn't count the team out until we are at least into the Olympic break. Maybe they figure it out over the next 8 games. Lots of tests at home coming up in those 8.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It's still early. I wouldn't count the team out until we are at least into the Olympic break. Maybe they figure it out over the next 8 games. Lots of tests at home coming up in those 8.
Oh for sure. In all honesty, just getting some of the bounces go our way could have us with 4-5 more points easily.

We have been able to keep games close, outshoot the opposition which are big positives. The negatives being goalies giving up bad goals or due to complete defensive lapses. Those are things that we can actually improve with coaching. I think if the team can figure that stuff out, we can still be a playoff team this season.

Cisse

Jun 25, 2016
Forssa
Blackhawks relieved their coach. No surprise there. Man it is not a good time to be a Blackhawks fan these days. Every week something new ruins their day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad