Around the League: News/Notes

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I see the logic in what you're saying, but would you not agree that 1 deal since the expansion draft through round two of the actual draft is a bit conservative given the assets that were/are available?

The Kraken are 10m under cap minimum, and they’ve got Vince Dunn to sign and a handful of minors contracts. They need 5 NHL contracts with that 30m cap space. I know they won’t approach cap but they will definitely be signing players and they aren’t going to give Dunn 10m, so we’ll see some excitement by the end of July, beginning Wednesday, the facts would say so. I’m imagining it won’t be too flashy though, but moves have to happen.

Reactions: Soul Rebel

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW
Francis should really call Fletcher. Try to get them to do something stupid.

Too late! The Flyers are done making deals aside from a back-up goalie. Fletcher made the team better, at least for one season. I'm really going to enjoy watching Flyers games next season, but unfortunately I can't say the same yet for Seattle. It's starting to look like they will be way under the cap or get stuck with some questionable FA signings. Not a fan so far of what Francis is doing.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Too late! The Flyers are done making deals aside from a back-up goalie. Fletcher made the team better, at least for one season. I'm really going to enjoy watching Flyers games next season, but unfortunately I can't say the same for Seattle. It's starting to look like they will be way under the cap or get stuck with some questionable FA signings. Not a fan so far of what Francis is doing.

What do you want them to do have a ton of bad contracts for the next 4-5 years making it extremely difficult to do anything due to being too close to the 81.5m cap

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Wow, artificial disc. I didn't realize it was that serious, though it appears the prognosis has been out for a while.

No way any team trades for him, nobody has ever played a contact sport with an artificial disc.

MMA fighters have.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I was about to post the same thing. Just about every contract that has been cried about on here has had worse players getting more signing with other teams. Inflation.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Smart move. If you've been picked by Buffalo THIS YEAR, you don't sign.

He's not going to throw away several years just to avoid playing for buffalo. No player throws away millions of dollars of UFA money just to avoid the team that drafts him. He goes back to michigan for 1 year then signs with buffallo next spring.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I would think that with Power going back to school, there would be even less of a chance (if there really was any) of Beniers going pro this year.

Beniers make a decision on what he wants to do and not what Power decided on doing.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Beniers make a decision on what he wants to do and not what Power decided on doing.
Ofcourse. But I think Beniers and Power are the two best players on that team. Beniers has little to gain from playing on an expansion team and a lot more to gain by playing on the best team in college and winning a NCAA championship.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Ofcourse. But I think Beniers and Power are the two best players on that team. Beniers has little to gain from playing on an expansion team and a lot more to gain by playing on the best team in college and winning a NCAA championship.

He does gain an extra year of $$ if he goes pro now. Either way would be nice if beniers decision would hurry up...

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
He does gain an extra year of $$ if he goes pro now.
In the long term that is a lot less beneficial than learning how to win a championship and being a leader on that team. Let's not pretend that there was a big chance of him playing in the NHL this year anyway. Power returning back just helps convince him more to go back and win what they could not last year.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
He's not going to throw away several years just to avoid playing for buffalo. No player throws away millions of dollars of UFA money just to avoid the team that drafts him. He goes back to michigan for 1 year then signs with buffallo next spring.

Several? Of course not. Just this one. It's so tumultuous that if I were him and I were on the fence, I'd wait the year out to get some additional development and let the mess resolve. It's been ugly there this off season in pretty much every way short of his being drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad