Around the League: News/Notes

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
EK's defensive numbers are in the crapper, but they'll deploy him on every PP and against bottom 6 opponents.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I'm surprised Martin Jones hasnt turned up anywhere yet. If Blackwood and Peterson are still getting run-outs as NHL backups, I would have thought someone like STL or CHI would have thrown a one-year offer at him?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I'm surprised Martin Jones hasnt turned up anywhere yet. If Blackwood and Peterson are still getting run-outs as NHL backups, I would have thought someone like STL or CHI would have thrown a one-year offer at him?

Jones had an .887 SV% last year and was nearly unplayable towards the end of last season.
The reason he won 27 starts last year was a good stretch in November and a team that scored over 4 goals per game with him in net.

He's also older while there's still hope with a younger guy like Blackwood to somehow turn it around.
Petersen was a throw in to make numbers work and Philly(just like San Jose) can give it a shot given that they're still tanking.

I think Jones will get a PTO or maybe a minimum contract right around the start of training camp or if there are injuries.

Reactions: Fuhrious

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Karlsson goes to the Pens(with a $10M AAV) and the Sharks get a first round pick(top ten protected) and some stuff while Montreal gets Petry(who they'll most likely flip) and a 2nd round pick.

So much for the Sharks asking for Shane Wright if we were the team to get Karlsson....

I'm sure the ask depended on the retention. Sharks only retained $1.5M. $10M would have been tough to fit considering SJ is probably on every player's NTC list. Kraken have 14 players with some sort of NTC including Driedger and Schultz who would've been my salary dumps.

I didn't see him coming to Seattle so I just stayed out of the whole EK conversation. I don't think he fits the system, the team gives up too many 3 on 2 rushes, with EK back there it'll be 3 on 1, lol.

Reactions: Renopucker

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
In other news, Dumba signed for 1 yr at $3.9M. I figured he wasn't gonna get what he wanted.

Lots of one year deals this offseason with everyone expecting the cap to go up next year.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
This is the time of year when players take what they can get and hope to get a better deal (with maybe a new agent) next year. Jones will get signed if someone has injury problems. Otherwise, I don't see a landing spot for him right now.
San Jose one year too late on the Bedard sweepstakes :)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This is the time of year when players take what they can get and hope to get a better deal (with maybe a new agent) next year. Jones will get signed if someone has injury problems. Otherwise, I don't see a landing spot for him right now.
San Jose one year too late on the Bedard sweepstakes :)
It gave them an extra year to load up on talent, and Celebrini could wind up being just as good. If they win the lottery they have 2 centers to build around, if not they get a top end winger so they have a first line.

If anything they picked the right time to tank, this past draft and the next one have more talent than I've seen in a while. Gonna be a lot of new stars in the league 3 or 4 years from now.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
It gave them an extra year to load up on talent, and Celebrini could wind up being just as good. If they win the lottery they have 2 centers to build around, if not they get a top end winger so they have a first line.

If anything they picked the right time to tank, this past draft and the next one have more talent than I've seen in a while. Gonna be a lot of new stars in the league 3 or 4 years from now.
I think you'll find there will be a lot of names in the drafts 3, 4 years from now as well. There's a larger pool of options than ever before. The U.S. programs have developed by leaps and bounds. You now have improving Swiss and German programs. In a few years things might change around Russia as well, hard to say. Bottom line is I think you'll see lots of deep upcoming drafts.

My point was only that there's no Bedard next year.Celebrini is good, but he's no Bedard.

Reactions: Kevinsane

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Jones had a nice run last year. He can play, but he’s not seemed able to string together multiple seasons of great numbers.
Toronto’s media is comprised of both incessant cheerleading and relentless criticism.
He’ll have an interesting time.

Reactions: Renopucker

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The NHL is doing NHL things.

Anytime they have something people like they find a way to throw it away...
Don't like it .. but its the NHL. After the whole pride tape fiasco this season and the other stuff from last season, I don't think the guys running the league have a f***ing clue.

Hocktopus

Jul 1, 2023
BC
Not really.
He's only missed two games or so.

They, once again, just have nothing besides McDavid and Draisaitl and can't defend or get a save.
Plus, they have little offensive depth after those two other than Nugent-Hopkins

Not going to help that Drai is a UFA after next season and then McDavid in 2026. I cannot see either one wanting to stick around. Even though they are arguably the best two players in the world, does Edmonton consider trading Drai for multiple players in order to increase their depth and / or improve their defence or goaltending?

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Now 38 years old, Ovie has only scored five goals in 17 games this year, giving him 822 career goals. Gretzky finished with 894. It is beginning to look that Ovechkin is an increasing long shot to match or surpass Wayne's record.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The Ducks and Flyers have exchanged top prospects.

The Ducks send Jamie Drysdale(D) and a 2nd round pick to Philly in exchange for Cutter Gauthier(C).
Gauthier was drafted one spot behind Shane Wright in 2022 and supposedly didn't want to sign with the Flyers.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I don't even know what to make of all the Hayes / Tortorella smoke swirling around this, guess I'd say at least Philly managed to keep it quiet and get a decent return.

Ignoring the team that drafted you, and flew all the way to Sweden to meet with you is super weak, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad