Around the League: News/Notes

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
As an aside, I think about all the talent the Lightning has given up over the past few years, due mainly to Cap issues. Gourde, Palat, Marchessault, Verhaege to name a few. Kraken seem to be in decent shape for the next few years, and Francis has been judicious in not offering up multi year eight figure deals. But, there will come a time where VERY tough decisions will have to be made, and this group that you have grown with and come to love will be modified. We'll all enjoy this ride. I think Kraken match up better with Vegas than de Oil, so lets go.

Reactions: Kevinsane

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
The Oilers loss still feels a bit of a shocker, if only because it didn't go to a game 7. Feel like all year their defence/goaltending was giving up 3/4 goals a game which didn't feel sustainable if the offense slowed down at any point.

Reactions: Kevinsane

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The Oilers loss still feels a bit of a shocker, if only because it didn't go to a game 7. Feel like all year their defence/goaltending was giving up 3/4 goals a game which didn't feel sustainable if the offense slowed down at any point.

It felt to me watching that series that they didn't stand a chance. Vegas to me looked the better team even in their losses. Same can be said overwhelmingly for both Eastern conferences series'. The exception has been the Dallas/Seattle series.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
It felt to me watching that series that they didn't stand a chance. Vegas to me looked the better team even in their losses. Same can be said overwhelmingly for both Eastern conferences series'. The exception has been the Dallas/Seattle series.
I only watched a couple of the games but there was one they blew Vegas away. Vegas are just a solid all round team though. Huge if but i'd rather play Vegas than Edmonton. Feel like we ran Vegas closer albeit didn't always win. Edmonton smoked us a few times.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Rumor from other threads has the NHL western final starting on Wednesday with games on ESPN and being every other day. Also games will likely start at 5 or 5:30pm PT since it's part of a national programming going forward. Even for an all western matchup, even in the NBA as Lakers-Nuggets games are starting at 530.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

The Oilers were, once again, stopped by bad goaltending and suspect defense while also relying way too much on their power play.

That's why the moment Draisaitl stopped scoring they were in trouble.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
The Oilers were, once again, stopped by bad goaltending and suspect defense while also relying way too much on their power play.

That's why the moment Draisaitl stopped scoring they were in trouble.
Is it a talent or scheme issue? Like should they go defence heavy in the draft/free agency for talent or is it more to do with mcdavid etc playing less of a two way game?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Is it a talent or scheme issue? Like should they go defence heavy in the draft/free agency for talent or is it more to do with mcdavid etc playing less of a two way game?

They're paying Darnell Nurse $9.25M for the next seven years and he pretty much sucks.
The rest of their defense isn't anything special(though, Ekholm is good) and while Stuart Skinner might be good in the future he was chased three times this series and always started the next game.
Also, they're paying Campbell $5M for the next four years and he was unplayable most of the season.

So overall a good offensive team with a historically great pp, but not that great 5v5, while nothing special defensively or in goal.

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Woodcroft screwed the pooch when he kept 97 and 29 on the bench when they were in a 4v4 for 1:29. I guess he was "saving" them for the PP that was upcoming. Then March comes on a scored the 4th goal and that was the name of that tune.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Coyotes situation kinds of sucks. I get it's not working there and they probably need to move but it's never fun losing a team.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The fans all see the writing on the wall.

I really hope this entire fiasco end up as a documentary, including the original move there in the first place. I wouldn’t even WANT that team it’s so cursed.

Reactions: gprep93

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
The fans all see the writing on the wall.

I really hope this entire fiasco end up as a documentary, including the original move there in the first place. I wouldn’t even WANT that team it’s so cursed.
I don't see what options they have to stay now. Playing in a college arena won't work, they can't go back to the old arena. I think moving them to the central was thinking ahead to plan B. It sounds like Houston, Salt Lake or KC are in the running then who are centrally located, all have arena's, just more to do with ownership and how the revenue would work. That then leaves the potential for Atlanta for future expansion or I guess Quebec or whatever team doesn't get the relocation.

I think in a few years though, if whatever new owner has ambition and throws money at it, the Coyotes could be really good. They have some good prospects. If they make it and you get some free agents in...

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Just a little nugget here.

For an ownership group that supposedly wanted this really bad they got outspend by the group opposing the arena by 8:1.

Being a former Sonics fan(and european with no franchis system), I just despise the fact that teams can be moved around if things get tough or someone has to find a solution that might not be ideal for the billionaire.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

For an ownership group that supposedly wanted this really bad they got outspend by the group opposing the arena by 8:1.

Being a former Sonics fan(and european with no franchis system), I just despise the fact that teams can be moved around if things get tough or someone has to find a solution that might not be ideal for the billionaire.

I’ve thought it was a ruse all along to get out. They wanted out if they couldn’t get this done but the league didn’t want to burn the bridge permanently so they had to make it work.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa

I feel like they've felt doomed for a while. They legitimately almost moved to Seattle a decade ago and the move to the college arena just felt like a death knell. I just wonder if it would be different if they hadn't sucked for most of that time. If they were competitors for even a short period of time could it have changed things.

I get fans like to think they are staunch and that they would watch bad teams year on year if needed because they are hardcore but it probably gets tiring after several years/decades? and inevitably attendance will fall. I imagine that would even happen in traditional/large market teams.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The Leafs have parted ways with Kyle Dubas.
Should be the start for changes there.

Also, the Yotes are now asking their fans where they should beuild their arena.

giphy.gif

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I find that Canadian league thread in the main forum pretty damn entertaining, especially the bettman and ref stuff. Some crazy takes there. Some insightful. I do think some of the smaller market teams have a case on the attracting talent part but Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and the two Alberta teams currently nah. I think most are just badly run. When those teams are good though those players are treated like gods.

Theres plenty of crap and badly run american teams too, some with big droughts and in big markets.

I hate the idea of a Canadian division and I think us and buffalo would get shafted since Vancouver and the Alberta teams are closest to us and we already do a crap ton of traveling, all due to a man made border. I'm not sure it really would benefit Vancouver either with the travel.

Reactions: Renopucker

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Am completely flabbergasted by what's happening to Dallas and the Canes. If anything I thought those would be the teams in the series lead, albeit not running away with it. Instead they're getting run out of their respective buildings, wow.

Edit: Stastny must have heard me, scores right after I posted that. No shutout today at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad