Around the League: News/Notes

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Am completely flabbergasted by what's happening to Dallas and the Canes. If anything I thought those would be the teams in the series lead, albeit not running away with it. Instead they're getting run out of their respective buildings, wow.

Edit: Stastny must have heard me, scores right after I posted that. No shutout today at least.

Florida had been on a roll right before the playoffs to qualify.
And since bringing in Bob in that Boston series they've been running through everyone.

Also, Tkachuk's just build for the playoffs and the Panthers show once again that while winning the president's trophy isn't a good thing for you playoff hopes, teams that win it usually do very well the year after.

Reactions: sigma six

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Am completely flabbergasted by what's happening to Dallas and the Canes. If anything I thought those would be the teams in the series lead, albeit not running away with it. Instead they're getting run out of their respective buildings, wow.

Edit: Stastny must have heard me, scores right after I posted that. No shutout today at least.
Can't help but think we emptied Dallas tank by taking them to the limit in the last series. I doubt we'd have beat Vegas either but wonder if we at least win a game.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Can't help but think we emptied Dallas tank by taking them to the limit in the last series. I doubt we'd have beat Vegas either but wonder if we at least win a game.

It's almost a blessing in a way. lol.

The way it looks now is that the Kraken are a .500 playoff team. That's cool. Actually, that's really cool since it makes the Kraken the 13th best game win % in the playoffs in NHL history. Hell of a way to start.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia

I think so too. That's a tenacious bunch we've got, and I don't doubt that seven games against them wore the Stars down some. Especially minute-eaters like Heiskanen.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I just think we broke Oettinger and he hasn't been able to come back from that.

The Stars, overall, just aren't that good and if Oettinger isn't on his game they're just not able to hang with one of the better teams.
I mean, Vegas did finish the season #1 in the West.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I just think we broke Oettinger and he hasn't been able to come back from that.

The Stars, overall, just aren't that good and if Oettinger isn't on his game they're just not able to hang with one of the better teams.
I mean, Vegas did finish the season #1 in the West.
Yeah Vegas are legit. I think people slept on them at points but they were always hovering near the top of the pacific. Apparently the Pacific was weak though if you listen to east coast people.

Still think we were a Burakovsky away from possibly toppling Dallas. Just needed one difference maker at points.

Reactions: Kevinsane

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
So weird that Vegas is about to win the cup, but I'm not a hater about it. They made the moves to be where they wanted to be.

Plus they're smashing the other team.

Also, Adin Hill is now a cup-winning goalie. My son has his sig on a Winterhawks jersey, crazy.

Last edited:

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA

Just saw from another thread even though a month old, Vegas is moving away from their RSN they're been using (moreso the RSN is going bankrupt and closing operations) to a cable/OTA option. I know there a a lot of people in this board would think the Kraken should have done this from the get-go too.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I get the rationale for exposure - get more casual folks who don't have cable/Root to become interested and become fans. Leads to more interest, social media buzz, merchandise, ticket sales, ad revenues, etc. This year's playoff has been a big boost. At t-ball last night, the dads & I were talking Kraken & Firebirds for most of the game. At school drop off this morning, multiple parents & kids were still wearing Kraken gear.

Reactions: Renopucker

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
I've missed a few Cup raisings, but from 1967 (Leafs last one) up thru last night I must say I enjoyed all these series' this year. Especially since the wanna-bullies, the Stinkin' Panthers, got dusted by a well constructed bunch of guys, with no "superstars" on the roster. I'm rooting for a Bolts V Kraken final next year.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
The Kraken have the 24th highest odds of winning the Stanley Cup next year, according to MGM’s sports book. Vancouver is 22nd.
Toronto is second! 😆
Seattle is the Rodney Dangerfield of the NHL. No respect at all.

Reactions: kihei

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I have thought about many cities as possible WHL destinations.

Chilliwack, Tacoma, Bellingham, etc.. Wenatchee getting a team? Bit of a surprise. Only 30-40k people. That would be the smallest American CHL market by a good margin.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Wenatchee proper has like 35k. East Wenatchee has like 20k and Cashmere and Leavenworth have about 5k more total. The total Wenatchee metro area has about 110k They support their BCHL team extremely well. I’m from Leavenworth, for context. It’s a hockey market.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I have thought about many cities as possible WHL destinations.

Chilliwack, Tacoma, Bellingham, etc.. Wenatchee getting a team? Bit of a surprise. Only 30-40k people. That would be the smallest American CHL market by a good margin.

I did the research, there are 8 WHL markets smaller than Wenatchee. Yes, the smallest US market. However, the Wild have a long standing track record of support.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Kraken have the 24th highest odds of winning the Stanley Cup next year, according to MGM’s sports book. Vancouver is 22nd.
Toronto is second! 😆
Seattle is the Rodney Dangerfield of the NHL. No respect at all.
East coast bookie with brain damage?

Reactions: Kevinsane

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Karlsson goes to the Pens(with a $10M AAV) and the Sharks get a first round pick(top ten protected) and some stuff while Montreal gets Petry(who they'll most likely flip) and a 2nd round pick.

So much for the Sharks asking for Shane Wright if we were the team to get Karlsson....

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00