Around The League LXXXII - It's The Final Countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
How on earth did the Kings and Flames play a playoff elimination game today with only one minor penalty called in the entire game?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
w1tboAQ.gif

So fitting.

:laugh:

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
No team ever goes an entire game without committing a penalty, let alone three in a row. I guess this is just another example of how fewer penalties are being called this year.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Bettman clearly favors the Calgary market and would like to see nothing more than the Flames going all the way - after all, Southern Alberta is the future of the NHL :sarcasm:

Not surprising though, the Flames do rock a lot of soft-but-slick players. Hudler, Gaudreau, Wideman and Brodie are all top minute munchers who have historically taken few penalties.

Guess who's been in the Top 10 for PP-PK differential since '10? San Jose.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Bettman clearly favors the Calgary market and would like to see nothing more than the Flames going all the way - after all, Southern Alberta is the future of the NHL :sarcasm:

Not surprising though, the Flames do rock a lot of soft-but-slick players. Hudler, Gaudreau, Wideman and Brodie are all top minute munchers who have historically taken few penalties.

Guess who's been in the Top 10 for PP-PK differential since '10? San Jose.

It's a sign of good coaching and a great work ethic.

It takes focus and effort not to take stupid hooking/holding/slashing penalties.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
don't think so, they just seem ********.

man that penalty chart is mind boggling, how can Calgary get so many power plays when the opposition has the puck for nearly 60% of the game?

#NHLreffing. :shakehead

And now looking through the main board I see there's a thread asking if the Kings' missing the playoffs invalidates advanced stats. Never change, main board.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

man that penalty chart is mind boggling, how can Calgary get so many power plays when the opposition has the puck for nearly 60% of the game?

Wouldn't worry about it.

No team has consistently had such high PP to PK differentials throughout the years.

Refs will catch on.

Colorado had Vezina level goaltending that got them into the playoffs.

Calgary has 120+ more power play minutes than penalty kill minutes.

They all regress.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

Its something we have to be aware of, people might not worry about it right now, but if we need a power player and are tripped and dont get one its going to be frustrating. Would hate to see a repeat of the sharks series.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Its something we have to be aware of, people might not worry about it right now, but if we need a power player and are tripped and dont get one its going to be frustrating. Would hate to see a repeat of the sharks series.
Sharks had nowhere near the reputation they deserved at the time for the **** they pulled. We outplayed them at 5v5 in that series but somehow we saw a 4-to-1 disparity in penalties or something ridiculous.

Going into Round 1 we're also the better 5v5 team but somehow CGY has had an extremely favourable penalty differential all year while we're 25th in that area.

If it sounds eerily familiar, that's because the circumstances for this really do seem like it. Have a bad feeling that we could see this happen again...

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
How weird to see LA and SJ both out of the playoffs this year. Both for very different reasons too.

As has already been said, Doug Wilson overreacted after last year's 1st round collapse. They were the 3rd best team in the NHL by score-adjusted Fenwick but lost in 7 to the best team in the league who went on to a historic, record-breaking Cup run. The way it played out over the first 3 and last 4 games of that series seems like it was largely because of luck, and an injury to a key defender on their blueline didn't help either. It'll be interesting to see if DW can find his way again in acquiring players who aren't John Scott level of bad...

LA's record in OT/shootouts OTOH was just hilariously bad. It's still impressive that they ended up no. 1 in possession again somehow despite having played a ton of hockey over the past 3 springs. That said, it's hard not to see them take a step back as a team next year due to cap reasons (Richards, Brown etc). Losing guys like Williams and Sekera because of that is going to hurt them a lot collectively if that happens. And I'm loving the thought of it. :naughty:

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I thought it would be too annoying here (Calgary) if the Flames made the playoffs, but I actually prefer this exuberance to their usual "yeah we sucked again, but NO ONE WORKED HARDER THAN US".

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
I thought it would be too annoying here (Calgary) if the Flames made the playoffs, but I actually prefer this exuberance to their usual "yeah we sucked again, but NO ONE WORKED HARDER THAN US".

And just think about how enjoyable the next two weeks of office banter will be. :D

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
So, I'm finding that I no longer hate you all. That may change once playoffs start, but I'll say this now before it happens. Good luck. This is going to be a very entertaining series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad