Around the League - LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
NO! Clearly you don't understand the equation here. No teams who aren't shoo-ins for the Stanley Cup should ever try to win hockey games. It's foolish to waste assets on players who can play now. What a crock. The only way to win is:

Losing -> draft picks -> trading away good veterans -> higher draft picks -> tanking -> highest draft picks -> winning -> cup

Equations are among the many things I do not understand.

Also, lingerie football and debit vs credit.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
NYI could be a playoff team if Tavares carries them again. Snow doing whatever it takes to make Buffalo miss an extra lottery pick :laugh:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
He was one of our best players last year, played about 6 games in a row where he was literally the best player on the ice, and despite missing half the year still finished with more even-strength points than Ryan Kesler. Our team went into the toilet the moment he got injured and fans here don't understand why some of us wanted to give him another shot this year. Unreal. :shakehead

Yeah that was last year, he was just another typical Mike Gillis signing.

We got Bonino, Sbisa, Vrbata, Dorsett and Vey in the offseason and yet some people here were mad at the organization for not resigning Santo? REALLY?!

Jesus.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Hows Kesler been?

Haven't been keeping up with preseason

He looks terrific. Definitely an x factor 2c rather than a guy who just pops in points. He drives play and is active defensively. We haven't had that from a 2c since Getzlaf held that spot.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
He looks terrific. Definitely an x factor 2c rather than a guy who just pops in points. He drives play and is active defensively. We haven't had that from a 2c since Getzlaf held that spot.

Wait till you see this mean move he has, when he gets over the blue line and toe drags splitting the two defenders... That one was the best

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

We got Bonino, Sbisa, Vrbata, Dorsett and Vey in the offseason and yet some people here were mad at the organization for not resigning Santo? REALLY?!

Jesus.

It's because they're really not that good.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Kesler play well this year in non-Canucks matchups.

I don't get any Kesler hate, the guy wants to win and the Canuck aren't there, Kesler signed at a great contract and always gave his all here, our owners ****ed the trade up by not moving him at the deadline when we could've had two top ten picks. Canuck needed a change badly and Kesler forcing a trade was what needed to happen. We had a shot to cash in but our owners blocked the trade out of some false hope we were still a good team... After how much Kesler fought for us, I wouldn't mind seeing him finally win his cup, I love players like Kesler.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

Jesus.

Uh. Yeah, really. I'll gladly give sbisas money to Santo without a second thought.

Typical Mike Gillis signing, you mean in that he was good?

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Trade announced via twitter:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 1m1 minute ago
Jets announce trade: Peter Budaj and forward Patrick Holland from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for forward Eric Tangradi.

Habs clear their goaltending jam.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
how does tangradi still have takers

if i were the habs i'd take a 7th instead of him

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Is it really that hard to find a goalie better than Peter Budaj? I'm pretty sure we have like 5 of them.

Seeing this trade happen makes me think a Lack to Winnipeg trade is likely to happen if/when Pavelec continues to struggle. It shows they don't think Hutchinson is ready, and Budaj isn't someone you want as a starter. (also Lack has a super low cap hit/salary which Winnipeg would love since Pavs is being paid like a starter)

John Bender*

I don't get any Kesler hate, the guy wants to win and the Canuck aren't there, Kesler signed at a great contract and always gave his all here, our owners ****ed the trade up by not moving him at the deadline when we could've had two top ten picks. Canuck needed a change badly and Kesler forcing a trade was what needed to happen. We had a shot to cash in but our owners blocked the trade out of some false hope we were still a good team... After how much Kesler fought for us, I wouldn't mind seeing him finally win his cup, I love players like Kesler.

Kesler abandoned the Canucks at the first hint they were not a contender. The fanbase here turned him into a celebrity, bought his jerseys, propped him up like he was a god. Amidst the rumours last year that he wanted out, he came out and said that he "loved Vancouver," that it was like "home to him." At the end of the season he said that he "hoped to remain in Vancouver his whole career." That his "kids were registered for school the following year." He said that he did not know where the rumours came from and wanted them to stop.

Behind the scenes he had demanded the Canucks trade him. Benning tried to get him to stay, but he refused. He said that he needed to be moved and that there was only one team that he could be moved to.

He abandoned the team, lied to the fanbase and then hamstrung management with respect to getting any value for him.

I get the Kesler hate. I don't get the Kesler empathy.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Being a 'good guy in the room' has gotten Peter Budaj his last two jobs. Winnipeg is re-defining mediocre hockey yet again this season but I can't see Budaj being any worse than Pavelec, who is a bottom-5 NHL starter.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Islanders better make the playoffs. They've essentially given away everything in next year's draft. Hard to argue they're not a much better team with Leddy and Boychuk, though.

Pretty much this, these 2 additions help solidify a back end that as a group is quite a bit better now and if Halak stays healthy and that young core of forwards and yes playoffs are easily within reach for the NYI.

They did overpay for Boychuk sure but if they make the playoffs, which they should barring major injuries to Taveres and Halak.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Seeing this trade happen makes me think a Lack to Winnipeg trade is likely to happen if/when Pavelec continues to struggle. It shows they don't think Hutchinson is ready, and Budaj isn't someone you want as a starter. (also Lack has a super low cap hit/salary which Winnipeg would love since Pavs is being paid like a starter)

If we trade Lack my head might literally explode.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
If we trade Lack my head might literally explode.

I love Lack and was hoping to see him in a 1A/B role this year, but Miller is a goalie who will likely get 60+ starts. I was also quite upset with Miller getting 3 years because Lack is a UFA in 2 years, and he could look at testing free agency if he doesn't want to be stuck behind Miller for a 3rd year.
If we could trade Lack+ for someone who can play every game instead of once every three/four games then I'd probably go for it. LET THE "KANE TO VANCOUVER" DREAM LIVE ON! :sarcasm:

(And before people say we can just trade Miller, he would only accept a trade to 5 teams and he only wants to play on the West coast, so that's very limiting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad