Around the League - LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
That's not really a good thing. I think it's great that a career depth player was playing out of his mind for a stretch of games last year but to me it doesn't necessitate bending over backwards to sign him. Using the same logic, Eddie Lack will be nothing more than a backup goaltender. Santorelli is a great player and I'm glad he rejuvenated his career. But I'll be surprised if he can maintain that level of play in Toronto. And how much money do you give Santo?

Not the same logic at all

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Now the Isles get Leddy. Honestly, not a huge fan of his but his game might translate well in the East, I don't know, there's a good reason the Hawks were so willing to move him I don't buy that it was all cap clearing.

Not related, but why is Versteeg still on that roster? He would have been my first choice for clearing salary.

No one wanted Versteeg according to Bobby Mac and Hawks wanted to give him chance to redeem himself now that he is fully healthy

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Two 2nds and a 3rd to NYI for Boychuk. Surprised the Bruins got such a good value when they were over the barrel with the cap. It's a shame that the internal structure and the coaching staff sucks so much for the Islanders because they have all the talent to be an awesome dark horse now.

Seems like normal value for a second pairing D man.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
What is up with the Santo love on this forum? We got other players reading to take that prime spot in the bottom six..

He was one of our best players last year, played about 6 games in a row where he was literally the best player on the ice, and despite missing half the year still finished with more even-strength points than Ryan Kesler. Our team went into the toilet the moment he got injured and fans here don't understand why some of us wanted to give him another shot this year. Unreal. :shakehead

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
With the upside there, I would have much rather had him than anyone else in our bottom 6 really. If he doesn't work out, then no harm done really, you get a useful bottom 6 guy at a low cap hit.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I hate to see us letting good hockey players walk when their demands weren't ridiculous

Even in the event that his scoring falls off a cliff you still get a good, skilled two-way 4th liner who can drive play and is versatile enough to play any position while moving up and down your lineup... he's also capable of taking shifts against tough competition while I'm not sure Bonino would be able to do that. For 1.5M too? Would take that in a heartbeat.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Islanders paid alot but they do seem to be a fair bit more respectable this upcoming season - at least behind the blueline.

Last edited:

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Probably heresy to suggest it here but adding two bona fide NHL defensemen puts them back into playoff contender status in the east.
NO! Clearly you don't understand the equation here. No teams who aren't shoo-ins for the Stanley Cup should ever try to win hockey games. It's foolish to waste assets on players who can play now. What a crock. The only way to win is:

Losing -> draft picks -> trading away good veterans -> higher draft picks -> tanking -> highest draft picks -> winning -> cup

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Probably heresy to suggest it here but adding two bona fide NHL defensemen puts them back into playoff contender status in the east.

Islanders management should be very motivated to do well since the Sabres have their first two 2015 draft picks.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Islanders better make the playoffs. They've essentially given away everything in next year's draft. Hard to argue they're not a much better team with Leddy and Boychuk, though.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Islanders better make the playoffs. They've essentially given away everything in next year's draft. Hard to argue they're not a much better team with Leddy and Boychuk, though.
The real prize (their first) was already given away nearly a year ago, so a couple additional draft picks from a team that has prospects coming out their ears is a small price to pay for two second-pairing NHL d-men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad