Around The League LV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
We have two blasts from the point. Our PP just sucks so we never see them. Well, I guess we see Edler's once in awhile.

Schultz's shot isn't particular hard. He just knows how to get them through traffic and when to fire them, similar to guys like Karlsson and Ehrhoff.

Bieksallent

May 3, 2010
We have two blasts from the point. Our PP just sucks so we never see them. Well, I guess we see Edler's once in awhile.

Edler is 7th in shots among defencemen. It's Garrison who isn't shooting a whole lot but that will come. I'm glad to see a steady improvement in his defensive play.

So, Edmonton's strength on the PP and futility at ES is basically a continuation of what was going on in Oklahoma, right? Gaudy numbers for players but no real substance?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Tambo needs to make some manly man moves this offseason if he has decided to just see what happens this year. Move Hemsky at the deadline, amnesty buyout Horcroff, offsheet mcdonagh etc. Pull that team apart like Burke did to the Ducks, just keep the worthwhile bits.

Bieksallent

May 3, 2010
Tambo needs to make some manly man moves this offseason if he has decided to just see what happens this year. Move Hemsky at the deadline, amnesty buyout Horcroff, offsheet mcdonagh etc. Pull that team apart like Burke did to the Ducks, just keep the worthwhile bits.

Yeah, but Hartikainen and Ryan Whitney?!

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Boston is a buzz saw.

Team is only going to get better. One thing I did notice is that teams that try to play the cycle game against the B's play into how their Dmen defend. Those Dmen just pus, cross check and rag doll any forwards that try to cycle against them. It breaks down though when you get a quick move to the centre of the ice off the boards. Similar to what Desharnais did in the third period. The Dmen don't expect that and it really messes up their coverage. Hope AV was taking notes should the unthinkable happen...

Bieksallent

May 3, 2010
Boston is a buzz saw.

Team is only going to get better. One thing I did notice is that teams that try to play the cycle game against the B's play into how their Dmen defend. Those Dmen just pus, cross check and rag doll any forwards that try to cycle against them. It breaks down though when you get a quick move to the centre of the ice off the boards. Similar to what Desharnais did in the third period. The Dmen don't expect that and it really messes up their coverage. Hope AV was taking notes should the unthinkable happen...

Their wingers also do a good job of picking their spots to support the D in the corners but mostly taking away the pass to the D. Thus, there is no escape from Chara destroying puny forwards in the corner.

*gets horrifying flashbacks*

Really, though, Montreal did a nice job of going all out with their forecheck (basically a 3-2 for 18 minutes) and created numerous good scoring chances. Desharnais should have had that tip right in front of Rask.

arsmaster*

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/21919/hot-in-buffalo-and-we-aint-talking-wings

Lebrun on the Sabres looking for a shake-up.

Soft defense, weak defensive forwards....Regier is on the phone, nobody feels like doing anything....yet.

Ehrhoff's big $$ years are almost up...8 years/ 4m cap hit, and you only pay him $22m? I know lots of people miss him, I don't, but it's hard not to argue that this team/roster is probably the best fit for him in the entire league.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Edler is 7th in shots among defencemen. It's Garrison who isn't shooting a whole lot but that will come. I'm glad to see a steady improvement in his defensive play.

So, Edmonton's strength on the PP and futility at ES is basically a continuation of what was going on in Oklahoma, right? Gaudy numbers for players but no real substance?

Would be nice to see someone on the point who can feed Garrison, Bieksa is not that guy.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
I can just see it...

Kev skating awkwardly laterally and puts the puck on his backhand and does a sort of unnecessary backhand saucer to Garrison's stick, but because he decided to put sauce on it, by the time it reaches Garrison the forwards are already blocking the lane. But the pass looked cool and his skating was smooth.

#casualkev

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Boston is a buzz saw.

Which would explain why Boston's defense went from trying to catch the Golden Snitch with a broken broomstick to having more security than the President on an airplane.

Tampa's offense was oriented to play off of opponent's transitional miscues, more of a counter-attack off the rush kind of thing compared to Vancouver's get the puck and maintain possession of it sort of thing.

Not to mention the difference in PP execution.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
You're no match for my quick fingers. I AM THE KING

tumblr_lzln1uqkSk1qzlvmi.gif

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
If I'm an Islanders fan right now I'm raging. They are too cheap to even try to spend to the floor, and they are willing to give away valuable assets to make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad