Around The League LIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Steve Mason with 2 goals against on 9 shots in the 1st period against the Bruins. Man, who could have seen this coming??

You just don't expect it with guys with his type of track record.

In other news it's cold in Winnipeg and Rob ford has been drinking.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
The goal is to build a team and the Oilers have sucked mightily at that. Also their player development has been abysmal.

A stud Dman and goalie playing at the top of his game really help - see Pronger, Chris and Roloson, Duane in 2005-06.

Hey they have no problem building a team... It's the entire being good that the suck at.

Wetcoaster

Steve Mason with 2 goals against on 9 shots in the 1st period against the Bruins. Man, who could have seen this coming??
The Flyers are playing like zombies and Mason has had his brain eaten.

Check out his new mask:
Steve-Mason-Flyers-Zombies-Mask-3-of-4.jpg

Here is an article on how this came to be:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=702147&navid=nhl:topheads&cmpid=nhl-twt

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Ha! I'll give him credit for the mask. That's kind of cool.

His play, though... he's back below league average and is trending quickly towards replacement level.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
'"I'm not a big statistics guy," says Pete DeBoer. Thinks save percentage between Schneider and Brodeur are "misleading."'

Those percentages, btw, are .905 for Brodeur and .928 for Schneider.

Poor Cory :(

Wetcoaster

Problems solved in Edmonton - Eakins is implementing a new system.

Edmonton Oilers coach Dallas Eakins will soon be implementing a more aggressive approach to his team’s defensive zone strategy.

“I’m comfortable with where we’re at, systems-wise, and we’re ready to take another step forward with some of the things we want to instill,†Eakins said.​
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-searching-for-renewed-defensive-identity/

And apparently he delivered that line with a straight face.

Wetcoaster

'"I'm not a big statistics guy," says Pete DeBoer. Thinks save percentage between Schneider and Brodeur are "misleading."'

And thus Brodeur gets the start in the Stadium Series at Yankee Stadium.

Mike Johnson ‏@mike_p_johnson
Pete Deboer confirms that Martin Brodeur gets the start in the outdoor game vs the Rangers.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
The New York Islanders aren't a great team, but imagine how much better they'd be if they didn't have a .900 SV%.

How can Garth Snow make that trade for Snow and not be in on Luongo or Schneider last year? Or, like, any NHL goaltender. Unreal.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
DeBoer is the new AV except worse. Instead of having a young goaltender and an older one that has a boat of a contract, he has a young goaltender and an expiring one and still manages to throw the younger one under the bus. After giving up a top 10 pick for him. Knowing that they don't have a pick this year. Jesus. Cory just can't catch a break. Here's hoping he books it to a team in the East (and not the Oilers or Blues) and settles in to become a bonafide #1. The Islanders may have some room...

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
You just don't expect it with guys with his type of track record.

In other news it's cold in Winnipeg and Rob ford has been drinking.

:laugh:

That's why I kept bringing him up 30 games into the season when people started using small sample sizes to discuss goaltending.

Wetcoaster

NHL Public Relations ‏@PR_NHL
The @NHLDevils (12:00pm ET) and @NYRangers (3:00pm ET) will practice this afternoon at Yankee Stadium.

Be1s9DNIgAAu_zF.jpg

Real outdoor hockey weather.

Be16v1UIUAApSCP.jpg:large

Meanwhile in LA...
dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Wetcoaster

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
Shane O'Brien (CAL) and Mikael Samuelsson (DET) on waivers

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Problems solved in Edmonton - Eakins is implementing a new system.

Edmonton Oilers coach Dallas Eakins will soon be implementing a more aggressive approach to his team’s defensive zone strategy.

“I’m comfortable with where we’re at, systems-wise, and we’re ready to take another step forward with some of the things we want to instill,†Eakins said.​
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-searching-for-renewed-defensive-identity/

And apparently he delivered that line with a straight face.

The writer had this to say about Eakins:

..this is a fiery individual, a straight-shooting, passionate hockey man with plenty to offer..

Sounds like somebody is hoping for a rose at the end of the night.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
The New York Islanders aren't a great team, but imagine how much better they'd be if they didn't have a .900 SV%.

How can Garth Snow make that trade for Snow and not be in on Luongo or Schneider last year? Or, like, any NHL goaltender. Unreal.

Snow was in on Schneider. Just didn't outbid the Devils.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto

I guess it's cool that they're showing loyalty to one of the greatest goalies of all-time, but he hasn't been a legitimate #1 since 09/10. Having a real starter like Schneider and keeping him on the bench in favour of a 41 year old Brodeur is insane...

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Perhaps even aspire to the lofty heights of the Winnipeg Jets.

Or dare I say it ?

Okay...

...the Legendary Toronto Maple Leafs.

While the Canucks can only play hockey, the Leafs can play hockey (to an extent :laugh:) and are masters of golf. Who are the real athletes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad