Around The League LIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Ignoring the dreadful trade rumour Yak for Johnson+1st, you have to think that there is a trade there between the two teams: Gagner for Johnson straight up.

If I'm Edmonton I trade whoever I can not named Hall or Nugent-Hopkins for assets and just restart the whole ******* mess by drafting Ekblad. If they do it smart they can probably wrangle 4 1st rounders at least and do BPA for those but for the 2nd round on just shotgun draft defensemen.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
They almost have to start over. I'd be hating life if I was an oiler fan.....
The owners alleged 4th year of rebuild is hilarious, it's clearly the 6th year. And they're worse than last year.

Last edited:

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
If I'm Edmonton I trade whoever I can not named Hall or Nugent-Hopkins for assets and just restart the whole ******* mess by drafting Ekblad. If they do it smart they can probably wrangle 4 1st rounders at least and do BPA for those but for the 2nd round on just shotgun draft defensemen.

That's the funny thing about defensemen... unless they're top 3 picks, you're just as well off picking them in the 3rd and 4th round. Like the D-men we've developed...

Edler - wasn't he a 3rd?
What was Bieksa?

I'm not going to research any of this...
Corrado?
Tanev wasn't even drafted...
Subban

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
They almost have to start over. I'd be hating life if I was an oiler fan.....
There owners alleged 4th year of rebuild is hilarious, it's clearly the 6th year. And they're worse than last year.

1622617_580908355327257_906269307_n.jpg

March 2007

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
They are, without a doubt in my mind, the worst team in professional North American sports. From top to bottom a complete disaster. How you can ice such a terrible team with 3 first overall picks on your roster in the cap era is beyond comprehension. It's a level of incompetence that is unparalleled.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
That's the funny thing about defensemen... unless they're top 3 picks, you're just as well off picking them in the 3rd and 4th round. Like the D-men we've developed...

Edler - wasn't he a 3rd?
What was Bieksa?

I'm not going to research any of this...
Corrado?
Tanev wasn't even drafted...
Subban

Edler - 3rd round
Bieksa - 5th round
Corrado - 5th round
Stanton - undrafted
Hamhuis - 1st round (Nashville)
Garrison - undrafted

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Edler - 3rd round
Bieksa - 5th round
Corrado - 5th round
Stanton - undrafted
Hamhuis - 1st round (Nashville)
Garrison - undrafted

I, for some reason, did not know Garrison was undrafted.

I knew Hammer was a 1st rounder.

And there you have it... just draft a whole bunch of defensement with 3rd-7th picks. One of them ought to pan out.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
They are, without a doubt in my mind, the worst team in professional North American sports. From top to bottom a complete disaster. How you can ice such a terrible team with 3 first overall picks on your roster in the cap era is beyond comprehension. It's a level of incompetence that is unparalleled.

1st rounders: 6+15+21, 22, 1, 1+19, 1, 7, 1-3

Now think of all the seconds there should be with that group, early seconds (30-something especially) are awesome picks, basically worth as much as late 1sts. no end of good players slide through there you have to bag one or two at least. It scares to think what some of the best drafting teams could do with that.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Wow, Columbus won 8 in a row. Would be interesting if they become NYR first opponent and beat them.

Wetcoaster

Happy 52nd birthday Chris Chelios.

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
Happy 52nd birthday to #Habs Hall of Fame defenceman Chris Chelios
Be02HiQCAAEmzoY.jpg

Nice equipment, eh?

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
It is astonishing. The Oilers have a bevy of cheap, elite, young talent. It is the hardest thing to get in the NHL and they have a ton of it. All they had to do was find some third liners and some competent defensemen and they couldn't even do that. It's a testament to how terrible their player evaluation is.

Wetcoaster

Ovie does offence.

Dave Stubbs‏@Dave_Stubbs
Offensive categories led by #Caps Ovechkin since he entered #NHL in 2005-06:

Be089bZCUAA4rsR.jpg

However it sounds like he will be out of the line-up against the Habs tonight with a groin problem.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Steve Mason with 2 goals against on 9 shots in the 1st period against the Bruins. Man, who could have seen this coming??

Wetcoaster

It is astonishing. The Oilers have a bevy of cheap, elite, young talent. It is the hardest thing to get in the NHL and they have a ton of it. All they had to do was find some third liners and some competent defensemen and they couldn't even do that. It's a testament to how terrible their player evaluation is.
The goal is to build a team and the Oilers have sucked mightily at that. Also their player development has been abysmal.

A stud Dman and goalie playing at the top of his game really help - see Pronger, Chris and Roloson, Duane in 2005-06.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad