GDT: Around the League | Free Agent Frenzy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
I’ve really like the moves so far but I feel like there’s still lots of work to be done. Consider Pearson coming back and already being winger heavy, Hoglander should stick as well.

Soucy and Cole help a ton but part of the reason they were so effective was because of how deep their team were. Canucks are an injury away from Myers or Irwin being back in the top 4. Would love for them to add another Cole/Soucy type who I see as #5 guys. Then you’re injury proof and have an elite 3rd pairing.

It also allows guys like Mcward and Hirose to stick in the AHL all season where they should be developing. Also allows you to keep Wohlanen as your 7/8 guy which is perfect.

Forward wise, they’re an injury way to Miller or EP to having Blueger in the top 6. I think they really need another Blueger type at minimum.

Then you can withstand an injury and it pushes Aman down a spot to the 5C or 13th forward.

My pick is Thomas Nosek. Always like him, excellent faceoffs and pk guy.

Obviously they have to make another move or two.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Geez, Toronto is $8M over the cap… never seen a team so in the red. I wonder how they’ll get compliant, looks like a mess.
I believe that total includes Muzzin, who's LTIRetired.

They still will have to clear cap, but not as much as at first glance. They'll have to disappear Murray.

Treliving at least had a far better Day 2 than Day 1.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
But, why? He has a track record of being terrible.
Domi was pretty good in Dallas.

The Leafs need more offense, off the rush in particular. Domi is abysmal defensively, but his rush scoring chance generation is high-end. A 1 year, $3M deal is a nice bet from Treliving.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
  • Year 1 (23-24)Great — you save net cap thanks to unloading Myers
  • Year 2 (24-25)Manageable — pay for the $2.0m retention by replacing Garland with a winger who makes $2.95m or less instead
  • Year 3 (25-26)Manageable — same as above
  • Year 4 (26-27)Painful — Yes… this year the pain hits. Better hope you have Willander, Lekkerimaki, and one or two other players on ELCs hitting!!
Misleading.

A lot can change In 4 years

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
There's whispers of Nylander moving on (maybe ,maybe not)...I bet Treliving would like to be out from under that Tavares contract.

Looks like he's trending away from light skill players.
Yep. He's trying to build a team that can grind other teams down in the playoffs. We'll see if it works.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
There's whispers of Nylander moving on (maybe ,maybe not)...I bet Treliving would like to be out from under that Tavares contract.

Looks like he's trending away from light skill players.
Nylander has been the most consistent Leaf the past decade. I understand not wanting to give a scoring winger a big extension but the criticism of WN has been so stupid and incorrect for so long.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I believe that total includes Muzzin, who's LTIRetired.

They still will have to clear cap, but not as much as at first glance. They'll have to disappear Murray.

Treliving at least had a far better Day 2 than Day 1.
If they buy him out theyll save 4m this year of his 4.7ish then only pay 2m next year. Or maybe add a 1st to sedn him somewhere. Maybe a teammate goes all Tonya Harding on his knees and he gets LTIRd. They still need to find 2-3m to sign Samsonov though. Domi was a luxury that just made things difficult

GarryValkyrie

Mar 14, 2008
Vancouver
Jest or not—it’s an interesting exercise. Let’s try this cost on for size:

InOutNet Salary 2023-24
SJ
  • Tyler Myers (1Y x $6.0m)
  • Conor Garland (3y x $4.9m)
  • Jack Rathbone
  • 2024 CAR 1st
  • 2025 VAN 1st
  • 2025 CAR 2nd
  • Erik Karlsson (3.5m / 30% of $11.5m retained)
+$3.0m
CAR
  • Erik Karlsson (4y x $6.0m)
  • Brett Pesce
  • 2024 CAR 1st
  • 2024 CAR 2nd
+$2.0m
VAN
  • Brett Pesce (1Y x $4.0m)
  • Erik Karlsson (2.0m / 25% of $8.0m retained)
  • Tyler Myers
  • Conor Garland
  • 2025 VAN 1st
($4.9m)
I wonder if VAN ever explored OEL to SJ in a potential EK move.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If they buy him out theyll save 4m this year of his 4.7ish then only pay 2m next year. Or maybe add a 1st to sedn him somewhere. Maybe a teammate goes all Tonya Harding on his knees and he gets LTIRd. They still need to find 2-3m to sign Samsonov though. Domi was a luxury that just made things difficult
I have a sinking feeling that Tree will trade Willie. The rumour mill doesn't seem to have contract talks going well with him. And they do need to clear more space.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Luke Schenn at 2.75 for 3 years huge pass for me. But I’m happy he’s getting paid. Good for him.

Any player that is bought out or or waivers = no teams were interested in trading for.

In other words OEL was shopped before he was bought out.

Players that are bought out need to be waived first, except when the player has a NMC. When the player has a NMC the team must inform the player they intend to buy him out. The player has 24 hours to request to be put on waivers. If he doesn't respond or doesn't accept then the team goes straight to buyout skipping waivers.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Players like Nylander aren’t available very often. If we truly are competing, that’s the kind of guy who gets you into the playoffs.

Reactions: VanillaCoke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad