Not open for further replies.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

"Pittsburgh model, my ass."

e5fbb69e180a07512180b740fafa1957.gif

Jun 30, 2006
Pretty wild that Hextall gets another crack at the job. I guess DL isn’t interested in running another team, the kings were the last one.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Pretty wild that Hextall gets another crack at the job. I guess DL isn’t interested in running another team, the kings were the last one.

or maybe the flyers did not give permission for a staff member to got straight to a rival. Or maybe the Pens did not even ask because of that or just did not meet their criteria.

Not matter what I think this is a good hire. I always thought Joe N got a raw deal by Dallas ownership and deserved another GM job

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
According to Friedman, Hextall in negotiations to become Pens’ next GM. If that come to be, a great hire for Pittsburgh. He will build them the correct way (draft/develop) instead of making 20 trades.

Actually, more trades than I thought....

Ron Hextall hire could bring massive shift in how Penguins are built

Rutherford completed 52 trades as Penguins GM. Some significant, some inconsequential, but still roster moves. That comes out to an average of more than eight trades per year. That is a lot.

He only made 35 draft picks in seven draft classes. That is a net of minus-seven from the allotment of draft picks it started with. Only two of those draft picks were in the first round, and one of those picks (Kasperi Kapanen) was traded a year later only to be re-acquired this past offseason after five years in Toronto.

Of those 35 draft picks, only five of them have played even a single game in the NHL, and none since the 2015 class

He did help them win 2 Cups, but at some point, needed to see that , esp with a tough division, you have to right the ship.

Hextall and Burke should be able todo that.

Reactions: Sleeping Dog

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Actually, more trades than I thought....

Ron Hextall hire could bring massive shift in how Penguins are built

Rutherford completed 52 trades as Penguins GM. Some significant, some inconsequential, but still roster moves. That comes out to an average of more than eight trades per year. That is a lot.

He only made 35 draft picks in seven draft classes. That is a net of minus-seven from the allotment of draft picks it started with. Only two of those draft picks were in the first round, and one of those picks (Kasperi Kapanen) was traded a year later only to be re-acquired this past offseason after five years in Toronto.

Of those 35 draft picks, only five of them have played even a single game in the NHL, and none since the 2015 class

He did help them win 2 Cups, but at some point, needed to see that , esp with a tough division, you have to right the ship.

Hextall and Burke should be able todo that.

it will be interesting to see how they try and right it with little prospects and draft capital. Also big holes, IMO, on D and in net.

Reactions: deeshamrock

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
it will be interesting to see how they try and right it with little prospects and draft capital. Also big holes, IMO, on D and in net.

Yup. It will be interesting to see how what he sees in the team and farm system and how he feels their path forward is. Burke will be a help there, he's a pretty smart hockey guy.

I'd move Malkin, I'd have done a few yearas ago. Letang, not sure what you'd get , given his age and injury history. He's been shaky this year, making too many mistakes. Matheson wasn't good in FLorida and hasn't improved. Marino will be fine, still getting his game together P.O Joseph has been very good since he came up, he's playing well enough for them to start thinking of moving out one of the Lefties, they have like 5 or 6 Could be their system needs help...they look scattered all the time, ,out of position or not covering their man.

Jarry has been hot and cold. But if they feel he isn't the answer in net (and it's been almost annual situation there) I'd call AZ and ask about Kuemper. You start in net and build forward. I think Hexy is of that mentality and that should be his first tackle.

And that could be why the defense looks scattered, if they don't have confidence in the goalie, that changes how you play.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yup. It will be interesting to see how what he sees in the team and farm system and how he feels their path forward is. Burke will be a help there, he's a pretty smart hockey guy.

I'd move Malkin, I'd have done a few yearas ago. Letang, not sure what you'd get , given his age and injury history. He's been shaky this year, making too many mistakes. Matheson wasn't good in FLorida and hasn't improved. Marino will be fine, still getting his game together P.O Joseph has been very good since he came up, he's playing well enough for them to start thinking of moving out one of the Lefties, they have like 5 or 6 Could be their system needs help...they look scattered all the time, ,out of position or not covering their man.

Jarry has been hot and cold. But if they feel he isn't the answer in net (and it's been almost annual situation there) I'd call AZ and ask about Kuemper. You start in net and build forward. I think Hexy is of that mentality and that should be his first tackle.

And that could be why the defense looks scattered, if they don't have confidence in the goalie, that changes how you play.

Given Malkin only has a year left, and I doubt a deal would happen till the offseason, I don't know what the Pens could expect for him either. Will be interesting as that is the first guy I thought of too.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
JR won back to back cups, I'm not sure how that could be called the wrong way, his 20 trades helped the team get over the top. I actually would question the decision for an Oilers/Red Wings model build when you have Crosby/Malkin still at the top of their games(though Malkin has had a down year so far). The Penguins haven't been under 100 points since JR took over, so they are still a high performing team and I don't think a super slow tear down is the move to make right now. That is unless Hextall leans fully into it and trades Crosby/Malkin, but I doubt Mario lets that happen.

Anyways, my point is that teams do not need to constantly be building and even then there is not a single correct way to build a team.

Like you said, Rutherford took the reins with Sid/Geno at/near their prime and made trades to put them in place to win, which they did. But they don’t have a very strong farm system in place - which is normal since they draft late in each round and have traded several picks. Regarding Hextall, I was just trying to say he’s probably going to build with picks and possibly undrafted signings. This might end up closing the window on Crosby/Malkin, but the Pens need to prepare for life without those two - or you’ll get another Detroit situation where they kept trying to make the playoffs each year. Then when that run was done, they sank like a rock to the bottom of the standings.

Reactions: crassbonanza

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The Pens are currently tied for last in the league with SJ in regulation wins at 1 each.

The smart thing to do, would be to trade the guys that still have real value. Rust, Guentzel, Marino, etc, and just start rebuilding now. The next best idea is to stay where you are, with what you have, and accept whatever happens this year, and then maybe try one more time next year before Malkin and Letang are UFAs. The worst thing to do, and I'm not sure how they could do so, would be to further invest in the Crosby/Malkin era.

Reactions: KINGS17

Token

May 15, 2019
The Pens are currently tied for last in the league with SJ in regulation wins at 1 each.

The smart thing to do, would be to trade the guys that still have real value. Rust, Guentzel, Marino, etc, and just start rebuilding now. The next best idea is to stay where you are, with what you have, and accept whatever happens this year, and then maybe try one more time next year before Malkin and Letang are UFAs. The worst thing to do, and I'm not sure how they could do so, would be to further invest in the Crosby/Malkin era.
That second scenario ... sounds exactly like what Rob Blake did when he signed Chucky...

Considering who they brought in ... odds are it’s a rebuild.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
That second scenario ... sounds exactly like what Rob Blake did when he signed Chucky...

Considering who they brought in ... odds are it’s a rebuild.

But Burke isn't really a rebuild guy. Which, teamed up with Hextall, could be a good mix. Likely two different mindsets keeping each other in check.

The thing about rebuilding is that very few franchises willingly do it. You have to be forced. Either players choosing to leave, or because the team just implodes. Pittsburgh isn't quite there yet in either case, so my guess is they'll wait. They'll try to squeeze as much as they can out of Crosby for the next 12 months, and then they'll start making decisions one way or another.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

IF they are looking at the rebuild route, I'm not sure I would be inclined to grab a guy like Kuemper . He's going to be 31 this off-season and will only have one more year left on his deal.

I don't think Arizona moves him anyhow with Raanta up at season's end. DK and Adin Hill should be the two going forward into next season.

I'd go to Columbus and check on the availability of one of their goalies or the Rangers but, either one might take a 3-way trade to accomplish similar to how the Sharks ended up with Martin Jones via Boston a few years ago.

Might as well play out this season with Jarry. It gives you a good sample size to assess him as a starter. He was pretty good last season in his 25-30 starts.

They got a couple kids who they just drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the 2020 draft so I'm sure they are hoping one can pan out but that's down the line.

Agree though regarding the defense, not looking too good. It's going to need work going forward minus Joseph who has looked good early on and Marino, who I think is pretty solid. Bet Edmonton could use him now..haha. He was never signing with the Oilers anyhow.

This might help their defense...

Last edited:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
@BigKing further proving your point

reaves sure was a mouse when mac was around...

He only fights on "his terms". Deslauriers hit Theodore earlier so his terms were apparently met, along with the fact that he feels he can take Deslauriers no problem. Nice to see Nic do very well for himself in this one. Would take him on our 4th line in a second.

Classic Reaves last game chirping at the Kings bench and then doing his clown routine when MacD came over and told him what was up. Guy is the perfect HW Champ for the dying years of tough hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad