Around the League: Congrats Pittsburgh Penguins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I dont have a problem with the Pens winning, just not sure how Crosby won the CS trophy.

Nobody had a particularly strong case for the Conn Smythe. The Sharks players, despite their first 3 rounds, don't deserve it because of the results of the finals. Murray, not even sure why he is being considered, true he had some big games in the first round, but his team was a shot blocking machine, who constantly outshot the other team and he was played competent/shaky. Kessel has an interesting case, because of his points, but is actually hurt by playing on a line with another contender in Bonino. Letang, who was my choice, never got much buzzz. Crosby was an all arounder, that supposedly led the way to the type of style they played that won them the cup.

If Kessel scored on a few more of his chances in the last two games, I could have seen him winning, but Crosby was the more noticeable player the further they went into the playoffs. Still, nobody "really" deserved the trophy, but it can't be engraved with "Team Game", so not surprised it defaulted to the teams best player.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
the xG model (expected goals) hit 14/15 predications this post season... the most accurate prediction list of any source. Beat all the "insider", media, bloggers, any individual fan list and consensus fan lists.

A purely analytic and numbers approach... and more drastic than corsi or any basic advanced stat

How has it done in the past compared to everyone else?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Crosby was my choice for the Conn Smythe. He was outstanding in the games I saw. He wasn't always scoring but he was great in other areas, and he had three game winners in one series, I think. He's a terrific player who led this team. He's deserving, in my opinion.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
It's pathetic that people feel the need to personally attack Schultz over this. Good on him for winning the cup, good on him for starting off his 2nd chance on the best foot possible. **** all the people who wish any ill will on any current or former Oiler.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Nobody had a particularly strong case for the Conn Smythe. The Sharks players, despite their first 3 rounds, don't deserve it because of the results of the finals. Murray, not even sure why he is being considered, true he had some big games in the first round, but his team was a shot blocking machine, who constantly outshot the other team and he was played competent/shaky. Kessel has an interesting case, because of his points, but is actually hurt by playing on a line with another contender in Bonino. Letang, who was my choice, never got much buzzz. Crosby was an all arounder, that supposedly led the way to the type of style they played that won them the cup.

If Kessel scored on a few more of his chances in the last two games, I could have seen him winning, but Crosby was the more noticeable player the further they went into the playoffs. Still, nobody "really" deserved the trophy, but it can't be engraved with "Team Game", so not surprised it defaulted to the teams best player.

if it is close I would edge to the leader of the winning team. that is why I understood the decision. Not meaning any disrespect to Crosby at all...just pointing out that it was very close.

all in all he drove possession numbers, took the best matchups away from other lines, didn't have the best linemates...etc and got the work done.

I thought his good play was under-appreciated by the press. there wer many times I thought he did a good job just tiring defenders when he had no better options. hes very strong on the puck that he can accomplish those things.

at the end of the day...I felt he set the tone for the winning team and he also insulated them. so in a close finish...he gets the cup.

I ALSO thought the bench was run ALOT better than in the Bylsma years (including their cup run)

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
It's pathetic that people feel the need to personally attack Schultz over this. Good on him for winning the cup, good on him for starting off his 2nd chance on the best foot possible. **** all the people who wish any ill will on any current or former Oiler.

yeah I didn't mind Schultz...I was just really disappointed in him. No ill will. I'm actually happy for him. Hard for me to hate any man who has the same taste in women that I do.

I actually always liked Kessel. As much as I hate the leafs...I always liked kessel and respected him when he ripped (gave shot for shot) on reporters. it drives me insane that fans think every player should be "a complete" player. Hello eberle haters

one of my pet peeves in life...all those message board posters that think every player should be able to do everything and focus on everything. no sense of reality and what it takes to be one of thee best snipers in the league off the wing. Kessel didn't figure that out practicing his back check.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ducks are about to get on the Carlyle roller coaster again

Boudreau-Ducks.jpg

Bucci Mane ‏@Buccigross 5m5 minutes ago
I'm hearing candidates for the @AnaheimDucks head coaching job are being told Randy Carlyle will be the choice. Coached their 5+ years.

Next stop: Possession wasteland

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Ducks are about to get on the Carlyle roller coaster again

Boudreau-Ducks.jpg

Bucci Mane ‏@Buccigross 5m5 minutes ago
I'm hearing candidates for the @AnaheimDucks head coaching job are being told Randy Carlyle will be the choice. Coached their 5+ years.

Next stop: Possession wasteland

Wish it was Calgary, but Anaheim going into the tank would be good too, devalue some of those prime D assets for us to pry away.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
LOL re Cloutier, teams are catching up to he oilers in horrific hires boys, we have to be better by default!

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Cloutier has been a goaltending consultant with the Canucks for the past two years already though.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Cloutier has been a goaltending consultant with the Canucks for the past two years already though.

I didn't know that. The guy could be a solid goaltending coach, I have no idea. I just think it's funny. He was basically the reason that team went nowhere during the Naslund/Bertuzzi/Morrison era. Give that team a solid goaltender and they have a great chance at a Cup or two.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Bad news for the slight hope we have for getting Fualk.

This move basically means Carolina will be far less likely to take on salary for any further moves.

Well, according to generalfanager.com, they still need to add $8M in salary just to reach the cap floor. They have a couple of guys to sign but no one that should get a huge amount of dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad