Around the League 22: But how will it work next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Button was the one that called it early and often that Hanifin was a mistake to be the top defender. He questioned his smarts and offense I believe. Liked him but not above Provorov and Werenski. I actually think he picked Werenski of the three.

Of all the bigger names out there pre draft I believe his was by far the loudest and maybe the only one that really was against Hanifin where we were.
Yeah, and we mocked him at the time.

Oh well, we got Dougie out of it, and while we still need to get that contract done, that's a great outcome.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Button was the one that called it early and often that Hanifin was a mistake to be the top defender. He questioned his smarts and offense I believe. Liked him but not above Provorov and Werenski. I actually think he picked Werenski of the three.

Of all the bigger names out there pre draft I believe his was by far the loudest and maybe the only one that really was against Hanifin where we were.
If I remember correctly a lot of us said he was wrong

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
But they were wrong to play up the defense because Hanifin has always been weakest at defense. The fundamental and basic concepts of it. He admitted it himself early on that he had never been coached defensively.

I often compared him to J-bo and Hedican back then which even then I knew was very flawed because they were both high end D first guys, I just find the three to be very similar skaters. All pretty upright for being tall, though it works very well for them all using low lie sticks to keep their hands low and extend their reach. Petro as well.
All true. Most 17 year olds aren’t great defensively, so compared to a lot of his peers, he probably looked better because he was big and a great skater which made him passable at the NCAA level, as he could overcome a lot because of that.

even Provorov had some struggles defensively for a while.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

yep

2015 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

Reactions: bleedgreen

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
All true. Most 17 year olds aren’t great defensively, so compared to a lot of his peers, he probably looked better because he was big and a great skater which made him passable at the NCAA level, as he could overcome a lot because of that.

even Provorov had some struggles defensively for a while.
Provorov has looked the best most consistently though to me. The day of the draft I had come around to wanting him over Hanifin but was still happy we got what we got.

Reactions: cptjeff

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Well that’s simply not true.
If having players too low on draft rankings is the criteria for a list to be not so great, then it certainly is true. Other than his list, everyone had Hanifin 3-5. Most had Crouse high. Other than Pronman, nobody had Aho in their top 75. Etc.

My point is projecting these guys after the first couple of picks is a bit of a crapshoot, and they all have their share of misses.

Reactions: DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If having players too low on draft rankings is the criteria for a list to be not so great, then it certainly is true. Other than his list, everyone had Hanifin 3-5. Most had Crouse high. Other than Pronman, nobody had Aho in their top 75. Etc.

My point is projecting these guys after the first couple of picks is a bit of a crapshoot, and they all have their share of misses.

One of the lists you shared in the list had Aho in the 1st round. One had Nic Roy in the first round as well.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
One of the lists you shared in the list had Aho in the 1st round. One had Nic Roy in the first round as well.
Correct, thus why I said “other than Pronman”, nobody had Aho in their top 75. Pronman’s list did. Many didn’t show 75 so I can’t be sure on all so 75 is a bit of an exaggeration , but iirc, McKenzie didn’t have him in top 75 and other than Pronman, nobody had him in 1st round.

edit: even central scouting had the Swedish Aho at #13 for international skaters and the Finish Aho at #18

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

You missed my semantics joke and wrote a long tweet defending yourself instead. Such a huge W for me. Or an L because my joke was dogshit. I’m fine with either.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad