GDT: Around the League 2023-24 Volume 3: Post All-Star Break Edition

Did you watch the skills competition and All-Star Game?

• I watched both

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • I watched the skills competition only

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I watched just the game

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Oh, so that’s why there haven’t been any league games the last several days

Votes: 12 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
This is a neat moment in time in the central division.

1710857947843.png

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I don’t understand what is so special about the dude? He’s severely undersized for an NHL goalie both in height and weight which is going to be an uphill battle

Flame fans and media have a difficult time grasping that there is more that goes into a prospect's potential as an NHL player than just their AHL numbers. Wolf has talent, but it's obviously an uphill battle to establish yourself as a starting NHL goalie, or in the case of Flame fans' expectations - a star starting goalie when you're that size. If Wolf were north of 6'3 you would see him at the very top of prospects lists, but you don't and there is a reason for it.

They also were baffled when Phillips didn't come up and immediately save their season despite being the AHL's leading scorer (as if this matters at all) last year. The way their fans and media were frothing at the mouth to call him up was equal parts sad and hilarious.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Flame fans and media have a difficult time grasping that there is more that goes into a prospect's potential as an NHL player than just their AHL numbers. Wolf has talent, but it's obviously an uphill battle to establish yourself as a starting NHL goalie, or in the case of Flame fans' expectations - a star starting goalie when you're that size. If Wolf were north of 6'3 you would see him at the very top of prospects lists, but you don't and there is a reason for it.

They also were baffled when Phillips didn't come up and immediately save their season despite being the AHL's leading scorer (as if this matters at all) last year. The way their fans and media were frothing at the mouth to call him up was equal parts sad and hilarious.

AHL leading goal scorers are Adam Gaudette, Samuel Fagemo and Rocco Grimaldi.

NHL leading goal scorers are Matthews, Reinhart and Hyman.

Guys like Wolf who have good AHL numbers can get exposed very quickly

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Hopefully the Flames can win the next few. You know, stay in the middle, just outside the playoffs and away from the lottery.
Only 3 points separate 8th overall and 12th overall pick right now in the lottery so I don't mind if the Flames keep winning a little down the stretch.

Reactions: bellagiobob

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Only 3 points separate 8th overall and 12th overall pick right now in the lottery so I don't mind if the Flames keep winning a little down the stretch.

I also want them to win a little so I can laugh incessantly at the inevitable off season narrative of "they were pretty good down the stretch, if they just add one or two players......"

Whatever keeps the dream alive down there is A OK by me.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Somebody explain to Snet that the Pens are a nothing team now and nobody gives a shit about seeing them. They're plain awful to watch. But somehow that game is being shown coast to coast tonight, in Canada, and doesn't even feature a Canadian club, and the Oilers-Habs telecast is only regional telecast.

Again somebody explain how the game with two Canadian clubs featuring the most exciting team in the league is being pre-empted in several zones for a game between two nothin US teams?

Pens vs Devils toilet bowl. I wouldn't watch if it was the only game on. This is 2024. pens are junk. These 2 clubs are a collective 6-14 in their respective last 10 games. Both are playing awful. The only mystery in this one is who will be worse.

Reactions: Oilhawks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is Cam Atkinson's game log since he last scored a goal. 😯

View attachment 838221
Couturier not doing a lot lately either.

Fact is Torts is making it known that you can't be a passenger. Team is in a tough spot having traded some players and having lost their goalie, but he as a coach still wants to make the playoffs

His team needs to understand if you aren't going to play we will play guys that want to play.

Better to do this now while things are still in reach instead of letting a lazy attitude just finish their season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Even just missing the playoffs would be above expectations. They have managed to hold onto a spot so far despite losing their starting goalie as well.

Look at their roster… it’s a miracle they are where they are.
People have been talking about them falling for so long, yet here we are week and a half past the trade deadline and they are still lingering around.

Torts got a lot out of that team this year. Granted I have no idea if he'll be back next year, but if the players were to do a true reflection they might realize that maybe he isn't that bad of a coach.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
People have been talking about them falling for so long, yet here we are week and a half past the trade deadline and they are still lingering around.

Torts got a lot out of that team this year. Granted I have no idea if he'll be back next year, but if the players were to do a true reflection they might realize that maybe he isn't that bad of a coach.

If all the dust settles 10 years from now and we don't have a Cup, I won't be able to help but wonder what a coach like Tortorella would have done with this group.

One of two things would occur:

1 - The Achilles heel of this team that no coach yet has been truly able to solve (choosing when and when not to compete, reflexive comfort with perimeter play, immature puck management, lack of 23 player commitment to team system) actually get rectified due to his hard ass, "no special rules for special players, nobody gets to take shortcuts" approach and we massively improve as a team.

2 - The team continues in their ways, ignore him, and then the Oilers are on the front page of the paper every week with a headline healthy scratch or rumours of a player exodus to get away from him.

I honestly have no idea which one would be more likely, but I would lean to #2. When Leon is in his "bad Leon" mode I can't help but think it would result in anything other than a benching followed by a media circus and a public dispute between player and coach. If this exact roster was located in Florida it might work, but the media vultures would circle at the first sniff of Torts in Edmonton and try and stir shit up daily.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I also want them to win a little so I can laugh incessantly at the inevitable off season narrative of "they were pretty good down the stretch, if they just add one or two players......"

Whatever keeps the dream alive down there is A OK by me.

Absolutely. We all know they're not winning the Cup this year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If all the dust settles 10 years from now and we don't have a Cup, I won't be able to help but wonder what a coach like Tortorella would have done with this group.

One of two things would occur:

1 - The Achilles heel of this team that no coach yet has been truly able to solve (choosing when and when not to compete, reflexive comfort with perimeter play, immature puck management, lack of 23 player commitment to team system) actually get rectified due to his hard ass, "no special rules for special players, nobody gets to take shortcuts" approach and we massively improve as a team.

2 - The team continues in their ways, ignore him, and then the Oilers are on the front page of the paper every week with a headline healthy scratch or rumours of a player exodus to get away from him.

I honestly have no idea which one would be more likely, but I would lean to #2. When Leon is in his "bad Leon" mode I can't help but think it would result in anything other than a benching followed by a media circus and a public dispute between player and coach. If this exact roster was located in Florida it might work, but the media vultures would circle at the first sniff of Torts in Edmonton and try and stir shit up daily.
There would be no media circus, Torts would blackball the majority from asking questions :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: K1984
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad