GDT: Around the League 2023-24 Volume 3: Post All-Star Break Edition

Did you watch the skills competition and All-Star Game?

• I watched both

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • I watched the skills competition only

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I watched just the game

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Oh, so that’s why there haven’t been any league games the last several days

Votes: 12 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Klim Kostin scored again today. Now 2G 2A 4pts in 5 games with SJ. In that many games in SJ he's matched his seasonal total in Detroit. Amazing what happens when a team just plays you and give you even reasonable toi and players to play with.
SJ is a dream for a player like Kostin. Lots of opportunities on offence and defence doesn’t matter.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
SJ is a dream for a player like Kostin. Lots of opportunities on offence and defence doesn’t matter.
Yeah. Definitely he's getting in the lineup there and getting minutes. Even on PP. Wasn't getting a sniff of that in Detroit. Red Wings situation changed when they decided offseason to bolster team with around 8 new players. This left Kostin as added player quantity almost immediately. Not at all the "We're going to give you a bigger role" that the Red Wings had promised.

But in SJ, yeah, the bigger role is happening. Too early to say what he makes of it but going well for him so far.

Kostins problem though is he struggles to get minutes from good teams. Even in games where its arguable he's deserving of it. Part of this of course not being pk, but if I had a player like this I would have him riding some more shotgun minutes on topsix when opponents are getting chippy with star players. Kostin did some of that clean up here too.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yeah. Definitely he's getting in the lineup there and getting minutes. Even on PP. Wasn't getting a sniff of that in Detroit. Red Wings situation changed when they decided offseason to bolster team with around 8 new players. This left Kostin as added player quantity almost immediately. Not at all the "We're going to give you a bigger role" that the Red Wings had promised.

But in SJ, yeah, the bigger role is happening. Too early to say what he makes of it but going well for him so far.

Kostins problem though is he struggles to get minutes from good teams. Even in games where its arguable he's deserving of it. Part of this of course not being pk, but if I had a player like this I would have him riding some more shotgun minutes on topsix when opponents are getting chippy with star players. Kostin did some of that clean up here too.
Only reason for a bigger role in SJ ,is that they are a shitty bottom dweller who are in the position to take on anyone and anything to see what they have. Kostin's issue has always been he gets too comfortable, and has lapses in his defensive play. With Detroit starting to make some noise as a possible ascending playoff team, players like that simply become expendable as the group matures and gets better.

Reactions: Oilhawks

leopoldbstotch

Feb 17, 2023
I don’t understand what is so special about the dude? He’s severely undersized for an NHL goalie both in height and weight which is going to be an uphill battle

As someone who lives in Calgary, I can chime in. He’s pumped up by the media, and this gives the fans false hope. They do this with a lot of the prospects in their system. They did this with Coronato too. It was sad and hilarious at the same time. They figured he would be the next Gaudreau, and wolf being the next Kiprusoff.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
As someone who lives in Calgary, I can chime in. He’s pumped up by the media, and this gives the fans false hope. They do this with a lot of the prospects in their system. They did this with Coronato too. It was sad and hilarious at the same time. They figured he would be the next Gaudreau, and wolf being the next Kiprusoff.
Sven Baertschi was over hyped too. Same with Bennett and Backlund. Calgary always acts like their prospects are gold.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Atleast Wolf has dominated at every level prior to the NHL.

He was deserving of the hype with his numbers in the whl and ahl.

Reactions: bellagiobob

leopoldbstotch

Feb 17, 2023
Atleast Wolf has dominated at every level prior to the NHL.

He was deserving of the hype with his numbers in the whl and ahl.

I won’t deny that, i was more just alluding to the fact that they put way too much hope into the fact they will carry over their success to the NHL.
But I won’t be a hypocrite, I’ve done the same as an oilers fan (HOPE) lol. Just let me get my shots in!

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sven Baertschi was over hyped too. Same with Bennett and Backlund. Calgary always acts like their prospects are gold.
Its like a bent universe watching the Flames broadcasts. As per usual anytime they are getting skunked the opponent goalie is amazing or something and tons of stellar opponent defensive play to stymie the vaunted Red Army, whoops, I mean Calgary Flames offense.

Upside down world commentary.

Tonight Millen spent 5mins fuming that the Caps reviewed a Calgary goal spewing no reviews, no bench monitors, enough of this shit, this is shit shit...jfc.

Broadcasting is bad in this day and age but don't take it right sideways.

I don't NHL rinks being a carnival either. Everytime Flames get a PP, even down several goals its "A calgary flames PP!!!!!" screamed into the microphone like its a SC final game instead of the Flames latest death rattle.

Another gem from Millen. "Analytics sez you should be pulling the goalie about now." 7.5mins left lol He's still talking about pulling goalie with 2.5mins left, flames finally do and get scored on 5 secs later. Then they pull the goalie again down 3 goals (who the f*** does that) tempting fate that OV could get yet another goal off the sorry sods.

Ovetchkin with two already against the flameouts.
They would give him 52 goals if they could. We all know why. What losers the Flames are. Then pulling the goalie with him on ice and 3 goals down. Like f*** off flames.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
PS WTF did the Flames raid the KHL when Putin wasn't looking. They got like half a dozen Eastern Block players in lineup tonight. This gives added giggle to my rEd aRmY comment.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad