GDT: Around the League 2023-24 I : "Wake Up. September Has Ended!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hand up. I suggested him as a possible off-season target for the Oilers after watching the World Championships. He was the guy who sparked Canada back into that tournament. No quit whatsoever in that player and a nice hard quick shot. He was scoring big goals while guys like Toffoli couldn’t get anything accomplished. Unfortunately few people here bothered to watch that tourney.

Carcone has had like five or six full seasons in the AHL. And scored very well. I’m surprised he’s doing as well as he is, but not at all surprised to see him having success. He just needed the chance to play with a some skill.

You wouldn’t like him though … he’s only 5’9’’.

Like. Good call. He looks really good. And you’re right, no idea who he was cause didn’t watch the Worlds lol.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I feared the Kings were getting incrementally better every year. Everytime they make a trade im pissed off cause they got rid of this or that guy that the Oilers dominated and made struggle in those playoffs. Blake is seeing clearly what he has in the playoffs, and gradually and continually getting rid of all the weak links.

If Foegele was a King and Blake saw him throw up nothings he’d be gone. If Yamo was a King and he saw him get erased in the playoffs with physicality he’d be gone. He definitely wouldn’t have given Pool two cracks at failing in the playoffs. Don’t think he’d have kept Derek Ryan around either.
They've been building a team to beat the Oilers for the last few seasons now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Vegas Knights look as if somebody took their swords away. Listless. Tried to watch yesterday and just turned it off. They were making STL look like it was 2018. The scoring troubles continue for the Knights. I was watching and its like seeing a club that can't score, don't believe they can score, and no confidence to even make plays. Top teams in the league are making crisp 3 point scoring plays. Vegas are barely making rushes and passing the puck.

Its the thing, everybody on that club suddenly dialed in and got it going last spring. Suddenly they were scoring. Its been their nemesis throughout, trying to get consistent scoring. Game was REALLY boring.

This sucks too but Why is the game in Vegas, the NHL in vegas, and the feed we get of the game is the Blues boring as shit broadcast. Vegas do a better job on broadcasts. Nobody wants to see the Blues broadcast.

rant done

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hand up. I suggested him as a possible off-season target for the Oilers after watching the World Championships. He was the guy who sparked Canada back into that tournament. No quit whatsoever in that player and a nice hard quick shot. He was scoring big goals while guys like Toffoli couldn’t get anything accomplished. Unfortunately few people here bothered to watch that tourney.

Carcone has had like five or six full seasons in the AHL. And scored very well. I’m surprised he’s doing as well as he is, but not at all surprised to see him having success. He just needed the chance to play with a some skill.

You wouldn’t like him though … he’s only 5’9’’.
Thanks. Yep, never seen him play. He has a bit more size at least at 170lbs which at least puts him in the curve of NHL lightweight. Guess he has some hands. I do note he had a couple AHL scoring seasons but never on this kind of heater pace.

With Toffoli I'd have to wonder if the difference is just not dialing into it. One player trying to elevate and be noticed, the other guaranteed an NHL contract for as long as he likes. Playing for country in 2023 just isn't what it used to be and the players know not much focus on the tournament. Increasingly players just seek to skip going to the Worlds.

Good on Arizona though to grab this undrafted player. When do the Oilers ever get this kind of scoring from somebody they find available?

Last edited:
Reactions: harpoon

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Vegas Knights look as if somebody took their swords away. Listless. Tried to watch yesterday and just turned it off. They were making STL look like it was 2018. The scoring troubles continue for the Knights. I was watching and its like seeing a club that can't score, don't believe they can score, and no confidence to even make plays. Top teams in the league are making crisp 3 point scoring plays. Vegas are barely making rushes and passing the puck.

Its the thing, everybody on that club suddenly dialed in and got it going last spring. Suddenly they were scoring. Its been their nemesis throughout, trying to get consistent scoring. Game was REALLY boring.

This sucks too but Why is the game in Vegas, the NHL in vegas, and the feed we get of the game is the Blues boring as shit broadcast. Vegas do a better job on broadcasts. Nobody wants to see the Blues broadcast.

rant done

I had a feeling this team was ripe for having a scoring drop off.

As good as Barbashev was for them in the playoffs, I think it was a mistake picking him over Smith. Smith was a consistent year over year producer for them while Barbashev has been up and down his whole career. Losing that scorer you can set a clock to hurts when other parts of the lineup are cold. It's not the whole reason for the drop off, but for sure a part of it IMO.

They just strike me as a slow team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I had a feeling this team was ripe for having a scoring drop off.

As good as Barbashev was for them in the playoffs, I think it was a mistake picking him over Smith. Smith was a consistent year over year producer for them while Barbashev has been up and down his whole career. Losing that scorer you can set a clock to hurts when other parts of the lineup are cold. It's not the whole reason for the drop off, but for sure a part of it IMO.

They just strike me as a slow team.
Concur. Right now they look like a spent force, but most SC winners do look that way the season after. Knights are an old team though and not much for youth talent. Barbashev is blowing almost any scoring chance right now. Team like I say looking like they believe they can't find a goal. Vegas sure getting a lot of loser pts lately. Seems like every other game.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
With Toffoli I'd have to wonder if the difference is just not dialing into it. One player trying to elevate and be noticed, the other guaranteed an NHL contract for as long as he likes. Playing for country in 2023 just isn't what it used to be and the players know not much focus on the tournament. Increasingly players just seek to skip going to the Worlds.
Wasn’t Toffoli playing for a new contract? I thought he was a free agent, but I’m too lazy to look now.

At the 20/21 Worlds your second favorite player in the league Mangiapane was the guy who played out of his mind. I couldn’t believe how good he looked, and I firmly believe that the success he had at that tournament built up his confidence so high that he came back to the NHL and scored 35 goals the next season.

Carcone is a Mangiapane type player, and imo riding a similar wave of confidence from having a big tournament at the Worlds. It’s pretty unlikely that he’ll be able to continue shooting 30% but I think there’s a definitely a useful player there.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wasn’t Toffoli playing for a new contract? I thought he was a free agent, but I’m too lazy to look now.

At the 20/21 Worlds your second favorite player in the league Mangiapane was the guy who played out of his mind. I couldn’t believe how good he looked, and I firmly believe that the success he had at that tournament built up his confidence so high that he came back to the NHL and scored 35 goals the next season.

Carcone is a Mangiapane type player, and imo riding a similar wave of confidence from having a big tournament at the Worlds. It’s pretty unlikely that he’ll be able to continue shooting 30% but I think there’s a definitely a useful player there.
Toffoli is an established scorer in the league. Doesn't really have to play for a contract. Pretty much guaranteed to land somewhere and even have a pick of locations. Toffoli scored 34G's last year and 73pts. Was arguably the Flames best player.

Good for the players in anycase. Horcoff also looked much better after a Worlds tournament and a year in Europe. Whatever builds the player and credit for the guys that find a way to get better, and more productive. Those types of guys have the drive to be better.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Man Vegas looked like a juggernaut to start the year

Besides shit kicking Vancouver lately, what happened to them?

These pricks have elite level goaltending and are sucking

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Nice seeing LA with their ECHL gimmick chromedomes getting their lunch fed to them.

Their color guy Jim Fox always explains the play like he’s talking to new fans who’ve never watched the game in their lives and tries to sound so authoritative in the process.

Edit- 10 seconds after posting this the Kings score lol.

Jim Fox gem of the night; “see when Merslikens shuffles across (on his knees) right there, he can still use his arms!”

How he has a job telling the audience the puck is black and the ice is white is beyond me but I guess it speaks to the LA fans. Dumb and entitled beyond belief.

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Nice seeing LA with their ECHL gimmick chromedomes getting their lunch fed to them.

Their color guy Jim Fox always explains the play like he’s talking to new fans who’ve never watched the game in their lives and tries to sound so authoritative in the process.

Edit- 10 seconds after posting this the Kings score lol.

Jim Fox gem of the night; “see when Merslikens shuffles across (on his knees) right there, he can still use his arms!”

How he has a job telling the audience the puck is black and the ice is white is beyond me but I guess it speaks to the LA fans. Dumb and entitled beyond belief.
LA is doing well this year, but Dubois has been a bust so far. Picks 2 - 5 of that 2016 draft are all looking like under achievers.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Whoever Soloveyev is for the Flames - he blows. Every time I see him in the lineup for them he’s doing something to implode.

I like him haha

Reactions: BlackDogg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad