GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 II: Whacked NHL Scheduling is Whacked | Mod Warning Post #1964

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Minny was looking pretty gassed at the end of the 2nd. I expect them to be pretty tired tomorrow evening.

I will be pissed if we lose to this MIN team tomorrow

Down 2-0. Look like sh* all game

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For anyone that thinks Skinner sucks - turn on this Hurricanes game.

Kotketchkov SUCKS

Still trying to figure out how a goalie gets beat on that 2nd goal. How did it get through him? It was a joke. As in why do you even have a goalie in net. Shot right at him dribbles through, flame tucks it home. Goals for free.

Canes are pathetic. Who loses to Calgary?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lmao Canes are sad. What a choke job
Kochetov .873
Raanta .863

Campbell .873

Not that he was stellar with a .894, but if Anderson doesn't come back they are done.

Just random comment, but 3 guys in net for Carolina from a different country in Europe. Have no idea why I found that interesting lol

Reactions: Oilhawks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Krappen look to be in deep doo doo
They are down almost a goal for per game this year.

Lots of guys were having career years last year or rejuvenated careers in some cases.

Beniers not taking the next step and having a sophomore slump isn't helping.

And while it's pretty much status quo that goaltending still being bad really sticks out now

Remember people wanting Grubauer. Could be on par with Campbell's contract except more money for more term.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Kochetov .873
Raanta .863

Campbell .873

Not that he was stellar with a .894, but if Anderson doesn't come back they are done.

Just random comment, but 3 guys in net for Carolina from a different country in Europe. Have no idea why I found that interesting lol
During the game, the broadcast team mentioned that Andersen is likely done for the season because of his blood clots.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
During the game, the broadcast team mentioned that Andersen is likely done for the season because of his blood clots.
Thanks. I had no idea, as I couldn't find much on the web and blood clots is one of those injuries that the guy might be back in a couple weeks. Kind of like Letang and his second stroke

Reactions: Frank the Tank

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Being in attendance last night I almost want a refund despite not paying for the tickets. That was a sad game by the Hurricanes. They seemed all too content being up 2-0 and I told my buddy that "Prevent defense prevents wins" and sure enough that's exactly what happened.

Really, that game as a whole was about as miserable as the drive home. Whatever plan Rod had it sure didn't work. They should be embarrassed at that effort.

Reactions: BlackDogg

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Being in attendance last night I almost want a refund despite not paying for the tickets. That was a sad game by the Hurricanes. They seemed all too content being up 2-0 and I told my buddy that "Prevent defense prevents wins" and sure enough that's exactly what happened.

Really, that game as a whole was about as miserable as the drive home. Whatever plan Rod had it sure didn't work. They should be embarrassed at that effort.
why would you go to a Flames game?
bad enough you have to live there

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

The Hurricanes' calling card is playing steady defense, limiting goals against and then supplementing that with timely scoring from a forward group that is fairly deep, but lacks high end elite production.

If their defending and goals against crater on them they are toast. They don't have the scoring to "pull an Oilers" and win consistently 5-4 or 6-5. Scoring has cost them many times in playoffs past, and that was when they could still keep pucks out of the net.

Mentioned it last night, but their work ethic seems poor to me. Not sure if this has been a theme for the whole season or just recently, but they got paced by the Oilers and Flames in both games. If you can't defend, can't work, and can't score you aren't going to win many games.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I hate the way the Hurricanes play. They play the same vanilla style year in and year out and it never amounts to anything other than maybe a 2nd round appearance in the playoffs. It's like they are on cruise control going down the highway but have no extra gear when they need it.

Maybe Rod Brind'Amour is starting to get tuned out in Carolina. When you lack skill you can only squeeze so much juice out of a lemon.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Maybe Rod Brind'Amour is starting to get tuned out in Carolina. When you lack skill you can only squeeze so much juice out of a lemon.

I've definitely heard some more rumblings down here along that line.

A few other factors this year:

- RBA, as you mentioned, has a style that is very similar to Darryl Sutter. It can start out great, but definitely wears down a team mentally and physically throughout the year. His personality seems very Sutterish too (see the live interview with Pang from Wednesday). You'd have to think the Sutter effect will inevitably take a toll on the locker room.

- Svechnikov has not been the same since his season-ending injury from last year. Only 1 goal and 11 assists in 16 games. That slump in particular hurts the Canes tremendously.

- Andersen's career year from a couple of years ago covered up a lot of warts, and convinced many that the Canes were bonafide contenders (very similar to the McDrai effect here). With him injured, the Canes' identity as "rich man's Calgary" is much more obvious this year.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I hate the way the Hurricanes play. They play the same vanilla style year in and year out and it never amounts to anything other than maybe a 2nd round appearance in the playoffs. It's like they are on cruise control going down the highway but have no extra gear when they need it.

I feel like they are trying to "New Jersey Devils" their way to a championship with stalwart defense and goaltending combined with a forward group that can score, but isn't going to light teams up or be the feature of the team.

That model worked in the 90's - mid 2000's, but I think it's been proven pretty consistently over the past 5 or so years that you aren't winning the cup unless you get consistently elite scoring which they don't have.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I don't know how the Canes are now, or ever are a winning club. They play western teams (the only games I watch them in and seem unimpressive and frankly pushed over. See a lot of Canes have trouble competing for pucks against heavier Western opposition. Losing to Calgary, and in this manner blowing a 2-0 lead is pathetic. Sure the Canes had B2B but they didn't expend much energy against us.

A question many of us are asking?

I would feel like I need a good de-lousing or rabies shot or something after that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Minny was looking pretty gassed at the end of the 2nd. I expect them to be pretty tired tomorrow evening.

I will be pissed if we lose to this MIN team tomorrow

Down 2-0. Look like sh* all game
We probably won't play this version of Minny. Vancouver, the new kid on the block are getting some soft opponent performances. Wild weren't really bringing that much in bits I watched. The Oilers as per usual are the opponent teams have marked down, not the Nucks, not the Flames, etc.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
They are down almost a goal for per game this year.

Lots of guys were having career years last year or rejuvenated careers in some cases.

Beniers not taking the next step and having a sophomore slump isn't helping.

And while it's pretty much status quo that goaltending still being bad really sticks out now

Remember people wanting Grubauer. Could be on par with Campbell's contract except more money for more term.
Beniers on pace to finish like -60.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I would go if I lived there. Flames tickets I've seen press for $16 after taxes and lower bowl for $60!!! Although I just spotted an Oilers lower bowl ticket for tonight for $89... Hmmm

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
We probably won't play this version of Minny. Vancouver, the new kid on the block are getting some soft opponent performances. Wild weren't really bringing that much in bits I watched. The Oilers as per usual are the opponent teams have marked down, not the Nucks, not the Flames, etc.

Yeah we saw this all the time in the decade of darkness from the other perspective.

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad