Around the League - 2022-23 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That it was finally time

Lots of parallel’s between how Kessel was treated and what’s being said about the current core, as individuals.. which isn’t too different than what was said about Kadri.

I’m not saying run the core back, but learning from history is important.
In fairness, Kessel does show up in the playoffs. Even during the one time we made the playoffs, he was terrific in that series. The only player in our core whose come close to having that impact is Nylander, which funny enough gets the same kind of criticism Kessel got.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The Maple Leafs kiss of death in the playoffs goes back even further than I realized.

Add the 2013 Bruins to this list as well. The only team in the last 30 years who actually went on to win the Cup after beating the Leafs in the postseason was the 2000 Devils.

Of course, this means literally nothing in the grand scheme of things but it is a crazy stat how often the teams that beat us lose to the eventual champions, destined to not win the Cup themselves.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Maple Leafs kiss of death in the playoffs goes back even further than I realized.

Add the 2013 Bruins to this list as well. The only team in the last 30 years who actually went on to win the Cup after beating the Leafs in the postseason was the 2000 Devils.

Of course, this means literally nothing in the grand scheme of things but it is a crazy stat how often the teams that beat us lose to the eventual champions, destined to not win the Cup themselves.

That is crazy.

• Wow
Reactions: Steven1562

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Lol I applaud Vegas and Tampa for LTIR'ing a star player until the playoffs. The hard cap is a joke, so I say do whatever you can to take advantage of loopholes.

I hope more teams do this in the future.
You can’t do it for 82 games, but if a guy is out in January then they could LTIR and add at the TDL.
Kucherov was LTIR in the shortened season.

Is Vegas the first team to win the Stanley Cup with a $10M aav player (Eichel)?
Yes

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I can't speak for other teams in the league, but I'll speak for the Leafs

Bettman didn't orchastrate anything. Don't take away the fight other teams put up and we weren't willing to
Cassidy and Maurice were first year coaches with their teams. Keefe couldn't take 80s Oilers to the finals

Panthers were out of their top forward and top D. You can't expect to win anything. Vegas was also the depth of any championship team. Kudos to their GM for getting Barbashev and Eichel

People are going to say well Panthers got away playing goon hockey. Welcome to the real world. That's called playoff hockey
Vegas countered with same type of game and won

We didn't. Our top guns were no shows. I guess that's also Bettman's fault
Our goalies were terrible. We had a 5 million dollar goalie in the bench who gets hurt drinking water.

Bettman also gave the Leafs northern division. Essentially telling us, here you go Leafs. Take it to the finals.

Sorry bro, give credit where credit is due. Both of those teams wanted more
:clap:

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I was told only the leafs do this kind of stuff and that Florida is too tuff to let this happen to them
Someone told you the leafs do this kind of stuff.....in the stanley cup final?

Strange way to build an office. Pitt can‘t have an unlimited number of AGMs
Kyle says "hold my beer"

Agreed.

I hear Matthews needs wrist surgery but will be ready for the playoffs.

In the meantime they're signing, O'Reilly and Tarasenko.
Sweet, cant wait

myleafs

May 25, 2021
No I'm saying that would be within the rules, so that would be fine if he was on LTIR until the playoffs.
They've proven they can play and win in the regular season without him. It's all about the playoffs. Who knows maybe marner might need half a season off for some ailment, and if Matthews had a miracle and could come back early ...

If everyone is okay with Stone having a miracle cure after the Cap was lifted ...
But has 34 proven to you that he will perform in the playoffs? We knew Kucherov and Stone would but 34?

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Lol I applaud Vegas and Tampa for LTIR'ing a star player until the playoffs. The hard cap is a joke, so I say do whatever you can to take advantage of loopholes.

I hope more teams do this in the future.
yea thats the thing to those who are complaining and ultimately making excuses for losing...the rules are the same for everyone. If there is a loophole that can be exploited someone is gonna find it....heres an idea, exploit it too.

In saying that I have not heard one person from the leafs org. complain about it , only on here by a few fans.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
In fairness, Kessel does show up in the playoffs. Even during the one time we made the playoffs, he was terrific in that series. The only player in our core whose come close to having that impact is Nylander, which funny enough gets the same kind of criticism Kessel got.
34 goals and 83 points in 100 career playoff games.

He also could have easily won the Conn Smythe with the Pens that one season as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad