Around the League - 2022-23 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You're kind of making my point without realizing. Kessel won 2 cups and hasn't been in Toronto for what... 7 years? The media making it about Toronto again, it's all. There's gonna be a lot more of those this summer.
and the thing is.. i think most people [with sense], knew that Phil was solid in the playoffs. (and you knew he was going to get guaranteed points. and whatever. take pot shots - I don't get why it's needed but whatever, Player of the Day pot shot away

at the end of the day - we weren't going to move forward with the guys who had left (who ultimately won cups) because the guys who won the cups on other teams were slotted where they needed to be, surrounded with better talent etc. I feel I write this every year. I think the only one who never said anything akin to this, was Bozak, (thus we never really saw anything in the media about it)

I'm with you I don't get why the media makes this a thing , i don't get why the players bring it up t whatever.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Agreed.

I hear Matthews needs wrist surgery but will be ready for the playoffs.

In the meantime they're signing, O'Reilly and Tarasenko.
I doubt he would need to miss the entire season for that.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Agreed.

If he did need surgery schedule it like TB did with Kucherov so his return would coincide with the beginning of the playoffs.

Reactions: ULF_55

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
So?

It's all about playing within the rules.
You've lost me, are you saying Matthews needs surgery but should play half the season first?
Yes, Teams have to play within the rules.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You've lost me, are you saying Matthews needs surgery but should play half the season first?
Yes, Teams have to play within the rules.

No I'm saying that would be within the rules, so that would be fine if he was on LTIR until the playoffs.
They've proven they can play and win in the regular season without him. It's all about the playoffs. Who knows maybe marner might need half a season off for some ailment, and if Matthews had a miracle and could come back early ...

If everyone is okay with Stone having a miracle cure after the Cap was lifted ...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Agreed.

Apologies... I think you are using sarcasm, but I just wanted to check. Have you actually heard that Matthews needs surgery? And that he might not be ready until the playoffs?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
:sarcasm:

He needs something that seems obvious after his series against Florida. ;)
Thanks for the clarification... I've been saying the same thing, though it was also obvious through most of the season. The shot just wasn't the same, wasn't as dangerous. His shooting success dropped by a third from the prior three years... 17.2%, down to 12.2%.... Somethings wrong, and you could see that visually too.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Thanks for the clarification... I've been saying the same thing, though it was also obvious through most of the season. The shot just wasn't the same, wasn't as dangerous. His shooting success dropped by a third from the prior three years... 17.2%, down to 12.2%.... Somethings wrong, and you could see that visually too.
I believe something is off too, but my question is why didn't they just shut him down in that case? His shot was noticeably off in October, if he needed surgery he could have had it then and recovered easily by April (7 months). Hell, if they even wanted to wait until like December to see if it would've naturally healed that gives them 4-5 months of recovery. Matthews last wrist surgery was a minimum of 6 weeks recovery so it doesn't appear this would keep him out all season

We were essentially locked into the playoffs by late November-early December. It would've been perfect time to let AM34 heal and be 100% for the playoffs

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
No I'm saying that would be within the rules, so that would be fine if he was on LTIR until the playoffs.
They've proven they can play and win in the regular season without him. It's all about the playoffs. Who knows maybe marner might need half a season off for some ailment, and if Matthews had a miracle and could come back early ...

If everyone is okay with Stone having a miracle cure after the Cap was lifted ...
I doubt very much any player would sit out the season just to save cap space for the playoffs.
Are you suggesting Stone wasn't hurt? I thought he had surgery.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Vegas finished 1st in their division and 1st in their Conf. If they can do that with Stone on LTIR for half the season, they deserve to have Stone activated in the playoffs.
If Leafs can have one of AM, MM and JT on LTIR for half the season and still manage to win the division and the league, they earn the right to activate whoever on LTIR for playoffs.

Vegas is a just a better team than the Leafs from top to bottom. The fact that they were made up by a whole bunch of unwanted players and leftovers from all 30 teams in the league and only ended up missing the playoffs ONCE in the last 7 seasons while making it to the Finals twice and winning One is something that can’t be overlooked. When they lost over the past few seasons, they didn’t give themselves excuses like being out goalied or a few bounces away… they actually look at how to improve the team and went out and done just that. They are not afraid to make tough decisions like cutting ties with their coaches, or players, or draft picks despite advancing past 1st rounds most of the time.

Reactions: myleafs

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Vegas finished 1st in their division and 1st in their Conf. If they can do that with Stone on LTIR for half the season, they deserve to have Stone activated in the playoffs.
If Leafs can have one of AM, MM and JT on LTIR for half the season and still manage to win the division and the league, they earn the right to activate whoever on LTIR for playoffs.

Vegas is a just a better team than the Leafs from top to bottom. The fact that they were made up by a whole bunch of unwanted players and leftovers from all 30 teams in the league and only ended up missing the playoffs ONCE in the last 7 seasons while making it to the Finals twice and winning One is something that can’t be overlooked. When they lost over the past few seasons, they didn’t give themselves excuses like being out goalied or a few bounces away… they actually look at how to improve the team and went out and done just that. They are not afraid to make tough decisions like cutting ties with their coaches, or players, or draft picks despite advancing past 1st rounds most of the time.

What I like about Vegas is they aren't in the business of making players feel good. They traded a lot of players to get to where they are. They took some calculated risks in Eichel and signing Kessel (whom didn't play in playoffs)

Traded for Eichel
Traded away Patch who wasn't working out
Trades Dadonov
A big D was avaiable in Pietero and they go out and get him

Got Cassidy

They didn't have a single player over 30 goals this season. Yet they have so many players with 10-17 goals., Including their D '

That team is constantly proactive and constantly moving pieces around. They don't stick to their game plan, they build the plan as they go along

Brad Macrimmon is a new GM to this league but he went with experience with Cassidy

Coaches for Vegas last 5 years

Cassidy
DeBoer
Gallant

2 SCF appeaences
1 Stanly cup

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
great to see a trashy and classless team and organization like the florida panthers just get utterly demolished. humiliated. 9 f***ing goals. just a beat down of epic proportions

great job taking out the trash vegas

Reactions: Rob Brown

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

If they’ve played and won without him, why are so many of the opinion he’s irreplaceable???

Lol golden boy is picking his own assistant GM before the new GM is even named, talk about a puppet master. This new GM will be the biggest yes man stooge in the NHL. Dubas is a beauty.
1686763359904.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad