Around The League 2021-22 season - part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I hated the Grabner trade the instant I saw it, but was right about it for the wrong reason; I was convinced Rykov was going to be a solid NHL'er. Also it felt dirty giving the Rangers anything of value.

I was annoyed by that trade because I'm pretty sure we were the only two franchises in the league (other than recent expansion teams) that had never traded with each other.

I kind of liked that record of animosity, and wanted it to stay unbroken. And then Shero went and ruined it... for freaking Grabner. Maybe if it was a really good deal for us, fine. But for Grabner?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I was annoyed by that trade because I'm pretty sure we were the only two franchises in the league (other than recent expansion teams) that had never traded with each other.

I kind of liked that record of animosity, and wanted it to stay unbroken. And then Shero went and ruined it... for freaking Grabner. Maybe if it was a really good deal for us, fine. But for Grabner?
I understood what he was doing in rewarding the team for making a playoff push but yeah the move was always bad and breaking the Ranger streak sucked

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You’re gonna tell me Torts can’t get a team better than the Flyers to hire him as head coach?

Whatever happened to when Florida was interested? Weekes was even the one who said that right when Quenneville stepped down.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I don’t think Torts is a bad coach by any means and he’s really underrated by a lot of people. On the other hand this is not what Philly should be doing. It is a very Philly move though to commit to mediocrity rather than a rebuild

they believe they have a good roster, they’re still operating under the assumption that Ristolainen is worth everything they gave up for him.

a couple of years ago Philly looked like a dangerous team, it’s incredible how they self immolated

Reactions: Mgd31 and Bleedred

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I understood what he was doing in rewarding the team for making a playoff push but yeah the move was always bad and breaking the Ranger streak sucked
The funny thing about our deadline moves that year is I thought the Grabner trade would work out better than the Maroon trade. One guy has gone on to play in 4 straight Cup Finals, the other...yeah.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It annoyed me that Shero basically admitted that was a goal, to have the first trade ever with the Rangers. Even when he first got here he couldn't resist telling us about how the Pens traded with the Flyers while he was there, why can't we trade with the Rangers? It's almost like he forced it, I know there was theoretical reasons for Grabner yadda yadda yadda but he was looking for the first excuse to do it and when you feel like you have to make a trade, it tends to backfire.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

You're thinking about it wrong. Shero would 100% have signed Grabner to an anchor contract if they didn't trade for him first.

Very fast skater and 'good' goal scorer was exactly what Shero wanted to build around. He obviously didn't realize that Grabner was shitting 4-leaf clovers that year while playing awful hockey.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

It was amusing to read this as I was listening to an outdated podcast which claimed that he schedule would be coming out in late July. Looking forward to planning my annual trip to the East Coast. Hopefully JetBlue doesn't screw me over next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad