GDT: Around the League 2020-21 v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
PLD may help, but his addition is kind of more of what they already have, which is offensive firepower and grit. Their black hole is on defense whereas ours is (was) in net.

If Koskinen and Smith can keep up their recent stretch I think we can contend with first place. It'll come down to our games versus the Leafs (although if we continue to split that then it'll come down to our record against everyone else).
I think Pionk has been really good for them, but beyond that their defence is definitely a weak point. I do think PLD has a solid defensive game when he's engaged so he should help to mask some of their defensive deficiencies. To me he's not really an elite scorer, but rather a good 2nd line centre with a strong defensive game when he wants to put in the effort. It's hard to fully gauge him over the past year due to him obviously being unhappy in Columbus, but I think when he wants to he can be a really strong defensive player similar to Draisaitl when he makes the effort. The difference of course is Draisaitl is miles ahead of him offensively.

We've played the Leafs well this year despite some questionable goaltending early on. I do think if we get solid goaltending we have a good chance to beat them on any given night (we are 2-2 with them after all despite us playing some terrible hockey in the first half which included all of those games). Gonna be a fun 3 game stretch against them to measure up where we stand.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I continue to be unimpressed by Montreal after their hot start in the "preseason" segment of the season.

Yeah same. They were hitting on a lot of their chances in the beginning games. Since they’ve come down to Earth they are scoring 2 goals a game on average.

Also I think they were taking advantage of some unprepared defences early on and made it look like their forecheck was better than it really is.

Price has also been very pedestrian. Nothing like how he was in the play ins. I think he thrives on a lot of work - a reverse Koskinen if you will. This splitting games with Allen doesn’t appear to be working for him.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drai Fi

Sep 17, 2019
I had an idea and I had to execute it. No matter how sloppy.

Gio honestly pisses me off more than Tkachuk. Guy always try to make it seem like he’s some stand up guy who’s been caught in some bad situations when he’s legitimately a danger to anyone who blows by his ancient ass on the rush. His good guy schtick has gotten really old really fast. At least with Tkachuk you know he’s a POS and he seems pretty aware that it’s his thing.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It would have been nice if the Free Bingo Cards won in regulation but we'll take the 1 point.
Probably rooting for the Canucks although keeping them further down the standings would be nice since I think they're too talented to not go on a run at some point.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Gio honestly pisses me off more than Tkachuk. Guy always try to make it seem like he’s some stand up guy who’s been caught in some bad situations when he’s legitimately a danger to anyone who blows by his ancient ass on the rush. His good guy schtick has gotten really old really fast. At least with Tkachuk you know he’s a POS and he seems pretty aware that it’s his thing.

Absolutely agree. My evil sister in law in Calgary and I got into it over text once about Knee-O so I sent her the video of the injuries to the 6 or 7 guys he’s deliberately accidentally injured and her response was to text my wife and tell her I was being mean.

She’s such a dumb ****.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
MacKewan beat the snot out of Forbert who had to beg for mercy.

Apparently retribution for the abuse Forbert laid out on Hoglander last game. Here’s hoping an Oiler does the same to Lindholm.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

The good thing is Gio legitimately looks like he can't even skate anymore this season, so he's actually been having trouble even getting close enough to guys to throw his accidental knees and trips. He'll be out of the league soon, thank god.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The good thing is Gio legitimately looks like he can't even skate anymore this season, so he's actually been having trouble even getting close enough to guys to throw his accidental knees and trips. He'll be out of the league soon, thank god.

He is starting to look his age no question.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He is starting to look his age no question.
I missed the fight so I went back and watched it. Pretty funny watching him fall to this knees and admit defeat at the end of that one. Bend the f***ing knee.
ScientificJollyBurro-small.gif

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Oilers coaching staff better be watching this game, the Flames gave the Canucks life. They are definitely not as bad as they were, they might be better than Montreal at this point.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
It’s amazing how I can like one so much and hate the other so much. It’s strange..... lol.

Absolutely agree. My evil sister in law in Calgary and I got into it over text once about Knee-O so I sent her the video of the injuries to the 6 or 7 guys he’s deliberately accidentally injured and her response was to text my wife and tell her I was being mean.

She’s such a dumb ****.

Tardi's post about the Tkachuk brothers could have also applied at the end of yours :laugh:.

Reactions: tardigrade81

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Montreal starting to fade. Team works hard but they have a lack of top talent and their centers are very young.

I think Calgary is in trouble too. Lack of elite skill and depth.

It will be interesting to see how Winnipeg and Vancouver go. Vancouver has started in a hole but I think they have some talent on that team but less depth overall. Winnipeg seems pretty decent.

I think Edmonton and Toronto will finish top 2 just because they have so much more talent compared to the others. I think Edmonton matches up pretty well against Toronto.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Ya this looks cool.

The dark and white was for 100 years ago when wool colors were very basic and then black and white grainy tv for viewers to differentiate between the teams which is why Toronto will never vote for color v color. They are still mired in 1967.

yeah, when I saw the highlights for Chicago and Carolina (whom were wearing their Reverse Retros)....those Hartford uni's are such a light shade of grey, the Blackhawks should've warn their Reds, for a Red vs Grey game, instead of what we had was.....grey vs white

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well, I called the Habs collapsing. I really wonder if this is even a playoff club. They might finish 4th. But nowhere are they staying up in 2nd. Lose last night to Habs, tonight to Sens. Really nothing special about this club and all predicated on goaltending.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Well, I called the Habs collapsing. I really wonder if this is even a playoff club. They might finish 4th. But nowhere are they staying up in 2nd. Lose last night to Habs, tonight to Sens. Really nothing special about this club and all predicated on goaltending.

I still they're a pretty well balanced team and a surefire playoff team but you need at least some semblance of high end talent to win big in this league and when your best forward is Suzuki? Toffoli? Gallagher? and best Dman is Petry, there's a limit to your potential to go far in the playoffs.

It's kind of the same issue the Flames have as well. They don't have anybody who will consistently be better than the best player on the other team. You need a guy or two like that whether it be a top center or top Dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad