GDT: Around the League 2020-21 v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Burke said a team should put it's boot on another team's throat. A lone woman complained.

That's it, one complaint? We all know what he's trying to say there but unfortunately the timing of it was bad.

I thought it was kind of odd and there was some Burke B.S. when he said the only team he'd consider working for are the Penguins. I'm guessing Rogers told them if the council found them guilty, he's fired. This day in age where everyone is so easily offended, he knew what was coming.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Rzh for eik

giphy (30).gif

Reactions: BlackDogg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That's it, one complaint? We all know what he's trying to say there but unfortunately the timing of it was bad.

I thought it was kind of odd and there was some Burke B.S. when he said the only team he'd consider working for are the Penguins. I'm guessing Rogers told them if the council found them guilty, he's fired. This day in age where everyone is so easily offended, he knew what was coming.

The lady said it was a reference to the George Floyd murder and wouldn’t let it go. I posted some more on it a couple hours earlier somewhere here.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
From Leaf PR.

And stats are only amongst other Leaf players....

Just kidding, I have no idea. I mean, the guy is an elite player. He truly is an excellent hockey player, but he doesn't have the elite vision or playmaking that McDavid and Draisaitl have to ever consistently be an Art Ross contender. He's pretty comfortably one the best forwards in the NHL, but still a tier below McDavid and behind Draisaitl and MacKinnon.

Marner has a better shot an Art Ross one day than Matthews does. Good bet for the Rocket though for Matthews.

Reactions: Cloned

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Damn I didn't know he was that low against the harder teams
Ya if the math is right he has 38% of his goals against Ottawa
48% of his points against Ottawa.
69% of his goals against Ott/Van

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
If you guys want a good Friday chuckle or aneurism, can’t decide which go check out this gem over at HFLeafs.

Is Auston Matthews the best player in the world ?

Clearly lots of posters in that thread who don't watch Oiler games, which is fair, they're Leafs fans. However, all of this Matthews Hart talk is based off of him lighting it up against Ottawa and Vancouver mixed with a dose of echo chamber delusion. It's like they built up Matthews so much that once he improved his play/production at all it automatically equated to him being on par or better than McDavid, and definitely better than Draisaitl.

Then you see some of the comments that Matthews' top gear/level is better than any player in the league too. Really? I guess the league doesn't include McDavid, Draisaitl, Mackinnon, Kucherov, Kane, Scheifele, Panarin, Pastrnak, Point, etc., guys who when they are at their best are dominant and take over the game. Matthews' best is not on that same level. It's impressive, and certainly he's dangerous with his shot, can play physical and is good defensively but compare that just to Draisaitl when McDavid was out last year. His playmaking, shot, physicality, forechecking and backchecking. I'll take that Draisaitl over any version of Matthews all day, every day and twice on Sundays.

I'm excited to see McDavid and Draisaitl bring it against Toronto in their next 3 game set starting at the end of the month. You know they'll be motivated with all this talk. It would be very satisfying to see the Oilers beat down the Leafs and watch McDavid and Draisaitl light it up against the Leafs. Watching the fan boys squirm and try to justify the Matthews hype would be entertaining.

Reactions: oilers'72 and TB12

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Ya if the math is right he has 38% of his goals against Ottawa
48% of his points against Ottawa.
69% of his goals against Ott/Van
Don't mind a Canucks fan chiming in....

This is why I find the raving about Toffoli hilarious. Torching the Canucks is basically the story of his season, not that he was some great signing by Montreal. It was a good signing, don't get me wrong, just not some stroke of genius acquiring an elite goal scorer.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Don't mind a Canucks fan chiming in....

This is why I find the raving about Toffoli hilarious. Torching the Canucks is basically the story of his season, not that he was some great signing by Montreal. It was a good signing, don't get me wrong, just not some stroke of genius acquiring an elite goal scorer.
Good point. Has he done much otherwise? I don't think so. Canucks were in a spiral then

Reactions: oilers'72

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
What are you looking at?
LK0iIid.png

Not as good as McDavid (who is), but his numbers definitely see very good to me.
Maybe my wording wasn't the best. By "not great" I meant not elite Selke level. He's not in the top 100 forwards in any category like expected goals against/60, scoring chances against/60 or high danger chances against/60 that are so often cited on this site. His extremely high PDO indicates his GF% is likely highly inflated (albeit given his talent level its understandable that he could have an above average PDO and be deserving of it). McDavid's GF% on the other hand are deflated by a terrible PDO.

Reactions: oilers'72

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Good point. Has he done much otherwise? I don't think so. Canucks were in a spiral then
I don't think so. 2 goals outside his 2 hat tricks plus 1 or 2 he scored against us, and we were indeed spiralling and we're just not that good in general

I'd have to confirm those numbers though.

By the way, this outside fan's opinion is that it's laughable to compare Matthews to McDavid and Draisaitl. It would have been kind of like comparing Stamkos to Crosby and Malkin years ago.

EDIT: Just checked the Toffoli numbers.

8 goals, 3 assists in 5 games vs Vancouver
2 goals, 2 assists in the other 10 games. 1 goal and 1 assist just came in his last game against Toronto.

So yeah.

Tyler Toffoli Stats and News

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad