Around the League: 2019 Offseason || Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i agree with the first part. it is not realistic to think he could be blackballed simply because of the old boy's club didn't like him if he is as good as you think he is. an owner would take a chance on a guy that good at his job.

i just don't see how you draw the inference this must mean he "most likely" doesn't want a job though. it doesn't follow. it is at least as likely that he is not as good as you think he is, meaning that there are genuine behind the scene issues that impact on his employability that scare off other owners.

the fact you and a couple of other posters here vigorously ignore or denounce this option b is ridiculous. it's just you being fanbois of gillis in a way you relentlessly mock and discredit people being fanbois for the canucks.

all hardcore hockey fans know there are a lot of known unknowns that get in the way of forming definitive views about events, especially off ice. how honestly you deal with those gaps in your database rather than letting your biases and preferences run away with you is what matters.

He has literally repeated said he wasn't interested in leaving the area and would only take a perfect job opportunity if it presented itself. How is this not hard to figure out? If he wanted back in, he would have marketed himself ... which he did for the Seattle job.

The notion that a guy who won 5 division titles in 6 years and built the most dominant team in the last decade of this league is somehow so 'unemployable' he can't even get an interview in a league where certified morons like Jim Benning and Don Waddell have jobs is ridiculous. And doesn't line up with any of the evidence.

You're just inventing a 'nobody wants him because he's bad' narrative when all the facts and evidence including multiple quotes from Gillis himself indicate that he isn't employed because he doesn't want to be, or only wants to be in very specific situations with total control.

The likely truth: Gillis took some time away from hockey but is now looking to get back in. However, his personal reputation is not as great as some people think it is and he's probably a bit picky about the situation. There is no anti-Gillis cabal but no owner is eager to offer him a job that meets his terms.

Yeah, there may be an argument that just in the last few months he's gotten itchy to get back in - he's been doing a lot more media spots and campaigned for the Seattle job.

For the previous 5 years, he clearly wasn't. The guy was burned out and looked like death when he left here, and was clearly in zero rush to put himself back in that position.

He's also been very clear that he would want total autonomy which not many organizations would be willing to give.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The likely truth: Gillis took some time away from hockey but is now looking to get back in. However, his personal reputation is not as great as some people think it is and he's probably a bit picky about the situation. There is no anti-Gillis cabal but no owner is eager to offer him a job that meets his terms.
Mark Spector, while discussing possible candidates for the Oilers GM position (before the Holland hiring),said the reasons MG would not get hired was his poor record of drafting and development.

There are cases like this, where Gillis does not fit, and also being 'picky' means that its more than likely you won't get the job (and 2011 is fading fast in the rear view mirror).

Reactions: Diamonddog01

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
maybe the gardner situation is holding up a team with interest in him as a plan b but right now it looks like hutton is not part of anyone's strategic plan and he will be looking for a fill in / show me gig. i think will be lucky to break $2 million or get more than two years.
Kind of odd how rick dhaiwal was saying that Hutton via arbitration could land a contract between $3.5-$4 million based on his numbers and usage last season.

He made $2.8 per on his last deal.

Think he’ll end up with a 1 year deal to show whether he’s a legit 2nd pair guy for that team or not. $3.5 mill plus you’re expecting a 20 minute per game Dman.

Just interesting to see how it plays out for him.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Lucic is on his retirement package deal.
Going to Calgary may be productive but who knows, Neal can somewhat produce at the nhl level

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Unless that pick is a 1st, Calgary is beyond stupid and loses this deal automatically.

Reactions: Red

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Lucic is on his retirement package deal.
Going to Calgary may be productive but who knows, Neal can somewhat produce at the nhl level

Neal is a 40 point winger at worst. He had a rough season last year but I don't think he'll struggle quite as bad as he did. Edmonton gets a decent winger finally.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Neal is a 40 point winger at worst. He had a rough season last year but I don't think he'll struggle quite as bad as he did. Edmonton gets a decent winger finally.

Neal is total trash who was one of the worst ES players in the NHL for the two years previous to signing in Calgary but had it masked by PP points and icetime.

Lucic is actually probably a better player than Neal and Calgary wins this on paper ... except Neal's contract is very buy-outable.

Edit - and Calgary gets a pick and Edmonton is retaining some salary? Win for Calgary.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Did you mean 40 points at best? Neal is done.

If Edmonton is retaining a decent amount of salary and Lucic can be exposed in the expansion draft then this could be good for the Flames. They needed to clear out salary for next off season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
James Neal is really, really, really bad and has been for a long time and it's incredible that so many people don't get this because he scored a completely ineffective 20 GOALZ fairly recently.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Neal is at $5.75 while Lucic is at $6 mill.

Retention likely around 20% would be my guess.

20% drops the cap hit down to $4.8 mill, a $950k cap savings vs Neal.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Neal is total trash who was one of the worst ES players in the NHL for the two years previous to signing in Calgary but had it masked by PP points and icetime.

Lucic is actually probably a better player than Neal and Calgary wins this on paper ... except Neal's contract is very buy-outable.

Edit - and Calgary gets a pick and Edmonton is retaining some salary? Win for Calgary.

If I'm not mistaken, you're overlooking the expansion draft -- not sure what the deal there is going to be for Calgary.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Just glad that name is off the table. But now honestly don't see Eriksson being moved now, like...who would take him?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You're overlooking the expansion draft, not sure what the deal there is going to be for Calgary.

I would assume part of this deal would be that he agrees to waive his NMC as Fleury did for the Vegas draft.

It only benefits him to do so as there is a 0% chance he would be claimed and it allows him to retain a better teammate.

Reactions: timw33

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Lucic brings absolutely nothing.

Neal can atleast get some points, even if just PP points its better for Edmontons pathetic winger situation.

Reactions: Red

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would assume part of this deal would be that he agrees to waive his NMC as Fleury did for the Vegas draft.

It only benefits him to do so as there is a 0% chance he would be claimed and it allows him to retain a better teammate.
I doubt you will see his nmc officially gone. Maybe a handshake agreement as he also doesn’t want to lose the nmc due to being sent to the minors.

I think you have to honour the trade or movement protection as is if you agree to honour it at all (which I would expect Lucic to want otherwise he would not ok the deal)

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
To me this just comes down to whether you would rather have a 6M cap hit for three years after 2019-20, or a 1.9M cap hit for six years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad