Around the League 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Didn't Jordan Nolan push a ref when he was in LA and didn't get suspended for it?

Yep. And there are a few more instances of the same (see the Kane thread for people rushing ot his defense :eyeroll:).

Refs absolutely need to be off limits, it shouldn't be allowed to direct any actions towards them, they've already gotta dodge pucks and players, but if the nhl sets even a remote precedent that ANY kind of contact--even the "get off me" type like DeAngelo--is OK, they're allowing for plausible deniability and an unsafe work environment for the refs/linesmen. They shouldn't have to be in any fear of player retaliation, otherwise they can't intervene with anything anyway.

The linesman in question being a shithead needs to be addressed separately.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Yep. And there are a few more instances of the same (see the Kane thread for people rushing ot his defense :eyeroll:).

Refs absolutely need to be off limits, it shouldn't be allowed to direct any actions towards them, they've already gotta dodge pucks and players, but if the nhl sets even a remote precedent that ANY kind of contact--even the "get off me" type like DeAngelo--is OK, they're allowing for plausible deniability and an unsafe work environment for the refs/linesmen. They shouldn't have to be in any fear of player retaliation, otherwise they can't intervene with anything anyway.

The linesman in question being a ****head needs to be addressed separately.

What a strange situation though. That linesman took him down. I'm not a Kane fan at all, but I've never seen that.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Didn't Jordan Nolan push a ref when he was in LA and didn't get suspended for it?

Don't believe so. He got suspended for sucker punching a guy that messed with Kopitar and then got a couple for a hit from behind.

In this case, the slash is inadvertent so the suspension wouldn't be for the slash but rather the shove. They don't give guys ten games for punching a linesman if he jumps in to the middle of a fight that is going on. Kane tries to slash another player and the linesman is in a place where he shouldn't be. This isn't like when Vermette just flat out hacked the ref on purpose.

Now, what Kane did is not even close to stuff that McSorley used to do all the time but it is a totally different league. That being said, this still doesn't look like an egregious abuse of an official. Ten games would be absurd.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Don't believe so. He got suspended for sucker punching a guy that messed with Kopitar and then got a couple for a hit from behind.

In this case, the slash is inadvertent so the suspension wouldn't be for the slash but rather the shove. They don't give guys ten games for punching a linesman if he jumps in to the middle of a fight that is going on. Kane tries to slash another player and the linesman is in a place where he shouldn't be. This isn't like when Vermette just flat out hacked the ref on purpose.

Now, what Kane did is not even close to stuff that McSorley used to do all the time but it is a totally different league. That being said, this still doesn't look like an egregious abuse of an official. Ten games would be absurd.
This is the incident I was referring to.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I simply disagree. Refs are outside the scope of play. Shoving a ref for doing his job, no matter how light a shove, is undisciplined horseshit that the league can't have more of. They HAVE to go hard on that, otherwise you'll start having to have the conversation about how hard the shove was rather than that there was a shove at all. It should be an auto-10-gamer since it's a technical black-and-white rule like jumping off the bench in a fight to mismatch numbers (safety, etc.).

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
This is the incident I was referring to.

Totally forgot about that but I'm pretty sure there was no suspension.

RJ - For such a slight push following being tackled, it shouldn't be an automatic 10 game. Puts the player in a bad spot after being egged on by the officials. I'm not saying it is not a suspension, but this is really nothing.

I also don't necessarily agree with an auto 10 game for jumping off the bench when I see Kip Brennan get one for coming back on the ice from the tunnel in San Jose for maybe three seconds and then go back off the ice. There should be some nuance to this stuff, although not too much.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Totally forgot about that but I'm pretty sure there was no suspension.

RJ - For such a slight push following being tackled, it shouldn't be an automatic 10 game. Puts the player in a bad spot after being egged on by the officials. I'm not saying it is not a suspension, but this is really nothing.

I also don't necessarily agree with an auto 10 game for jumping off the bench when I see Kip Brennan get one for coming back on the ice from the tunnel in San Jose for maybe three seconds and then go back off the ice. There should be some nuance to this stuff, although not too much.

Yeah I'd like to stress that I really don't like how the official handled it. Let them just tee off on each other, linesman just exacerbated the situation.

But I do think that should be handled separately from Kane's actions. Dude is a hothead with a history, letting him off with a slap on the wrist sends the message that it's cool if you lose your temper and refs are just collateral damage.

Maybe there should be more nuance, I could be swayed, but even minor incidents should carry a hefty penalty. But i'm also largely in favor of stiffer penalties across the board, so that might be impacting my decision. Everyone needs to sit for more meaningful time periods for punishments to matter.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Did any of you actually watch the game? These situations don't occur in a vacuum.

Kane was heated all game and the linesman probably had a huddle after the 2nd to make sure things didn't escalate any further.

With 7 minutes left in a pre-season 5-1 blowout, Kane (who has been an ass all game) takes a penalty then cheap shots another player skating by.

After that, it's pretty clear to me that Kane turned back up ice in the direction of England to possibly engage. While the linesman quickly rushed over to prevent the escalation he tripped onto Kane and then both fell on to the ice.

The stripes get shit on all the time about letting games escalate - it's a fine art almost in letting the players play and take out their aggression on each other in hopes that they can almost police themselves. Obviously it's a double-edged sword.

However heated the play gets with the opposing team or a call that didn't go your way, you never touch an official, ever.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Yeah I'd like to stress that I really don't like how the official handled it. Let them just tee off on each other, linesman just exacerbated the situation.

But I do think that should be handled separately from Kane's actions. Dude is a hothead with a history, letting him off with a slap on the wrist sends the message that it's cool if you lose your temper and refs are just collateral damage.

Maybe there should be more nuance, I could be swayed, but even minor incidents should carry a hefty penalty. But i'm also largely in favor of stiffer penalties across the board, so that might be impacting my decision. Everyone needs to sit for more meaningful time periods for punishments to matter.
Completely agree. Kane may not have intended to hit the linesman with his stick, but he is responsible for controlling his stick. I’d have no issue with 10 games.

As you say the Lino being an idiot is a separate issue and in no way mitigates Kane’s actions, he’s a grown man and not a 5 year old. The Lino should be sent to the AHL, and no I’m not joking.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Did any of you actually watch the game? These situations don't occur in a vacuum.

Kane was heated all game and the linesman probably had a huddle after the 2nd to make sure things didn't escalate any further.

With 7 minutes left in a pre-season 5-1 blowout, Kane (who has been an ass all game) takes a penalty then cheap shots another player skating by.

After that, it's pretty clear to me that Kane turned back up ice in the direction of England to possibly engage. While the linesman quickly rushed over to prevent the escalation he tripped onto Kane and then both fell on to the ice.

The stripes get **** on all the time about letting games escalate - it's a fine art almost in letting the players play and take out their aggression on each other in hopes that they can almost police themselves. Obviously it's a double-edged sword.

However heated the play gets with the opposing team or a call that didn't go your way, you never touch an official, ever.

Sometimes a fight de-escalates shit though. Let them have their blow out and then it is done.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Sometimes a fight de-escalates **** though. Let them have their blow out and then it is done.

As a whole, the Shorks have looked average and their goaltending has looked like shit.. Yes they're talented but they are going to miss Pavelski.. they're going to end up as a bubble team along with Winnepeg imo

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
How come I still hate Reaves and don't mind Kane?

Kane is a good player who fought both Chara and Reaves last season.

Reaves is a total f***ing clown of a spot-picker that acts like he is Bob Probert in a league mainly devoid of heavyweight fighters. When challenged by someone like MacDermid, he declines.

He is a disgrace to the code and to fighting. It is a shame that he has been holding the belt.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Sometimes a fight de-escalates **** though. Let them have their blow out and then it is done.

Obviously you missed this whole sentence...

'letting the players play and take out their aggression on each other in hopes that they can almost police themselves.'

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA

Reaves is a total ****ing clown of a spot-picker that acts like he is Bob Probert in a league mainly devoid of heavyweight fighters. When challenged by someone like MacDermid, he declines.

He is a disgrace to the code and to fighting. It is a shame that he has been holding the belt.

Agreed. I am waiting for Ross Johnston or MacD vs Reaves.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Reaves is a total ****ing clown of a spot-picker that acts like he is Bob Probert in a league mainly devoid of heavyweight fighters. When challenged by someone like MacDermid, he declines.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Pretty sure the 3 games is taking into account the circumstances. That's why it's not 10. Also, in the Nolan case, that was up to the refs. They declined to do anything with it. Ask them why. In this case, the linesman took exception to Kane's behavior.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
The NHL doesn't like rivalries.

Back to back games between the Sharks and Knights to start the season and they suspend Kane.

Now it'll be a f***ing snoooze fest.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

Back to back games between the Sharks and Knights to start the season and they suspend Kane.

Now it'll be a ****ing snoooze fest.
Maybe Kane should stop being a f***ing bozo? Just a thought.

On a totally unrelated note, it would really make my year to see Toronto skid face first to a playoff miss. Their f***ing fans are insufferable.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Now it'll be a ****ing snoooze fest.

The NHL doesn't like violence. Too much money at stake. If they could have the rivalries without that, they would, because they still love to promote rivalries, but it's just tough to do without the emotion pumping violence. All sports are dealing with that though. Can't even block home plate in baseball anymore.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Leafs scored on 25 seconds into the game :laugh:

Oddly I find myself cheering on Brady Tkachuk (who scored the goal). Spent a little too much time defending him on the prospects board against a few posters who were certain Tkachuk was only ranked highly because of his last name.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad