GDT: Around the League 2019-20 v11

Status
Not open for further replies.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
They wore that logo pattern on the home whites starting in 1974 until the end of the 1979 season.

Gallery: Edmonton Oilers jersey history (image 2)

5-gretzky-rookie-jersey.jpg

The Top 10 Artifacts in the Museum
Thank you, I just can’t seem to find the logo that has the white oil drop, orange letters and blue background.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
That stats thread was fantastic.

There are so, so many hockey "authorities" who need to give that a good hard look.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I had a dream recently where Toronto had Brossoit as their starter, because of all their cap mismanagement, he was all they could afford

I had a dream where Jesse Puljujarvi was back in Edmonton scoring highlight reel goals. Dreams are weird man.

lol though at all these Canadian teams out east struggling. Winnipeg, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal. Its perfect.

Seems like just weeks ago the Laugh fans were upset about losing to the "bottomfeeder" Oilers.

good times

Reactions: yukoner88

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Really poorly timed losing streak for Winnipeg.

The Oilers would really have to screw it up to miss the playoffs now.

We do hold our destiny in our own hands but its still only 1 point for us to fall into the last wild card, and 4 points for teams like Chicago, Nashville and the Jets to claim the last wild card with 33 games left to go. A lot can happen and the teams are so close in the West.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
An excellent Twitter thread sure to piss off some people:

I think someone just took the current alternate logo and changed the oil drop to white.

I think Burke makes a good point when he talks about how the methods in moneyball were tools for survivability of low budget teams. It provided an incremental improvement in being able to identify diamonds in the rough that you could get cheaper than they were actually worth to create a passable team. Rarely, if ever, leads to an actual contender, but you can get an advantage over other teams in your same situation if you are really good at identifying those players.

In hockey, there is value too, you could find some underrated guys, but for the most part, good players are known, and sought after. Maybe analytics in hockey actually have more value the other way, identifying guys that you think are trying hard and doing stuff, but you find they are actually not helping you push play in your favour (ahem, Kris Russell, lol).

The worst thing that you can do in hockey is coach for Corsi's like eakins did with us. When you start telling guys that shot attempts are the key to winning, well, we all saw what happened. Guys tossing garbage from anywhere. Even worse, Eakins thought that reducing the more frequent low quality Corsi's against was better than stopping the rarer high quality chances (because you could overall allow less corsi's against by reducing the more common events), thus the swarm was born...and we know what happened there too. The analytics are only valuable when the teams are focused on creating and reducing high quality chances for and against, which has been what hockey has always been about, until guys like Eakins came along to try some bad experiments.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
How does Calgary have 3 turds at the ASG and Mark Stone is left out with 8 more points than Tkachuk? Vegas left with 1 player.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
How does Calgary have 3 turds at the ASG and Mark Stone is left out with 8 more points than Tkachuk? Vegas left with 1 player.

Because the criteria is made up and the game doesn't matter?

I personally couldn't give any less of a shit about the ASG but the league really needs to put its foot down over the way it's stars so clearly don't give a shit either.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

The league loves the Flames outspoken ownership group like how a dog likes sniffing another dogs butt.

Reactions: Wyrm

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
An excellent Twitter thread sure to piss off some people:

I chuckled. Corsi in particular is a stat that's showing it's weakness more and more, and it's fair to point at some old darlings who flushed out as reasons to not take it too seriously.

I WILL point out here that while those neckbearded stat kids playing Brad Pitt were pumping up Alex Semin, a player who WAS once acceptional, those awesome PHWA members (who can allegedly write in complete sentences) were voting Alex Ovechkin to both the first team LW and first team RW because a ton of them had no idea what position he was even playing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad