GDT: Around the League 2019-20 v11

Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
New York Rangers F Ryan Strome on trade deadline: 'I really hope I stay' - TSN.ca

It's nice to hear that Strome had a good experience in Edmonton. I had always thought he wanted out, but I'm happy to be wrong about that.

Chia is a total idiot, but I blame McLellan here too. I remember in Strome's first camp here that the media was suggesting to him that Strome could get a shot on McDavid's wing, and it seemed like that was that, Strome would be banished from ever getting that opportunity (probably because he figured the media guys would think it was their idea). McLellan buried him his whole time here, and the narrative turned to Strome having to earn McLellan's trust. We never really got to see Strome in an offensive role with the Oilers, so we had no idea what we had with him. Just 3rd line minutes, having to babysit guys like Pulju and the other trash depth Chia provided, no matter how bad the season was going.

He played 58 out of his 1182 5v5 minutes as an Oiler with McDavid. ANd likely that was almost all just partial line change overlap. I believe, the only time he got with McDavid was a couple periods in pre-season, where he scored a goal I think. And that was that. Never again.

Wonder if McLellan is enjoying seeing his most recent banished Russian player in Montreal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks and Coffey

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-rangers-f-ryan-strome-on-trade-deadline-i-really-hope-i-stay-1.1432240

It's nice to hear that Strome had a good experience in Edmonton. I had always thought he wanted out, but I'm happy to be wrong about that.

Chia is a total idiot, but I blame McLellan here too. I remember in Strome's first camp here that the media was suggesting to him that Strome could get a shot on McDavid's wing, and it seemed like that was that, Strome would be banished from ever getting that opportunity (probably because he figured the media guys would think it was their idea). McLellan buried him his whole time here, and the narrative turned to Strome having to earn McLellan's trust. We never really got to see Strome in an offensive role with the Oilers, so we had no idea what we had with him. Just 3rd line minutes, having to babysit guys like Pulju and the other trash depth Chia provided, no matter how bad the season was going.

He played 58 out of his 1182 5v5 minutes as an Oiler with McDavid. ANd likely that was almost all just partial line change overlap. I believe, the only time he got with McDavid was a couple periods in pre-season, where he scored a goal I think. And that was that. Never again.

Wonder if McLellan is enjoying seeing his most recent banished Russian player in Montreal.

I remember watching a post game presser after a loss where someone asks about Strome usage and playing with McDavid. This was early/middle of his first year here. He said "they were sold a bill of goods on Strome."

I was shocked. That was a strong comment and not really fair at the time at all.

I always found it interesting how Chiarelli mentioned Strome as a center so often and McLellan seemed to always refer to him as a winger. Might mean nothing but I found it interesting.

From that comment and other stuff I felt McLellan wasn't a fan and Chiarelli was.

But then Chiarelli dumped him for nothing.

Very weird.

From day one I loved the trade. A overpriced declining 2 line ufa winger for a young cost controlled 3 line rfa center.

It's downright bizarre how the player was used in Edmonton. I would love to know how Lucic, Strome, and Puljujärvi were misused during their time. I felt those three were grossly mismanaged.

Lucic should have been benched. Strome rewarded for stellar third line play. Puljujarvi given the opportunity in the top 6/PP that Lucic kept getting over and over.

It sucks that our biggest hole is a good right shooting 3c and we gave one away for nothing.

Reattaining him would cost too much but I personally would give up a lot to get him back. As long as his contract demands are reasonable.

Puljujarvi, Russell, and our second this year.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Nylander spends a stressful couple of months during his contract holdout watching TV. Connor spends 10 hours a day rehabing his knee, doing something no human may have ever done to comeback in the timeframe he did. Guessing their definition of comeback player is different than what I was thinking about.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014

Nylander spends a stressful couple of months during his contract holdout watching TV. Connor spends 10 hours a day rehabing his knee, doing something no human may have ever done to comeback in the timeframe he did. Guessing their definition of comeback player is different than what I was thinking about.

voting was done before the mcdavid news came out

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
voting was done before the mcdavid news came out
But voting wasn't done before the McDavid news came out. We didn't know the full extent of the injury, but this board and sports networks were constantly hounding about and him about his injury and his rehab - when he'd be back, how long he'd be out. We knew he was injured to end last season and he was rehabbing this summer to be back. And now he's leading the league.

Everyone knew this.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Nope he was another Chia victim. How good would we look if we had Strome and Caggulia instead of Gagner and Manning?

Chiarelli traded for him, and was very complimentary about him. So Chia knew his potential. Just didn't work out.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
3n4o17.gif

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Please for the love of God and all things holy, do not force us to watch the game with another rendition of the FoxTrax puck. For the few minutes they showed the puck tracking on TV last night it reminded me of that abomination and I hated it.

Showing the players name and number NASCAR style was kind of neat but it’s very unnecessary.

And the rink board advertising was ok when it was mainly a white background. When they showed an ad like the NHL Shop with tons of color or one with movement it was awful.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Just saw the highlights of the women's game.

That was a special kind of cringe to have to endure. I can see the puck tracking as making sense for goal review, but not for broadcast.

The NHL needs to figure out that gimmicks and innovation are not the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad