Around the League 2019-20 Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I don’t think he cares. Live for the moment. Keep trying with Sid and Malkin.

Can’t see Sid ever being traded. Slightly on Malkin.

He certainly doesn’t care, but giving up that much for Kasperi Kapanen seems foolish to me when he could sign a UFA who can produce similar numbers without giving up assets.

Token

May 15, 2019
Best trade evah!!!

Thank you Dubas and Rutherford!!!

If Kapanen brings back a 1st at $3.2M in the off-season, just think what we can get for Kempe or Iafallo!!!

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Looks like the original Palffy deal got rejected by the league as the Stars/Sabres were still playing but the one that was approved got the green light the day after?

June 17th: https://nypost.com/1999/06/17/rangers-back-in-palffy-mix-commish-vetoes-isles-kings-deal/

June 20th: STANLEY CUP FINALS; Palffy Goes To Kings; Isles Get Prospects

What really irks me about that ordeal is how the league nixed the original Palffy trade to the Kings, yet did nothing of the sort when the Penguins dealt Jagr and all of their stars for a heaping pile of trash.

Not too dissimilar to the bullshit move by David Stern to block the Chris Paul trade to the Lakers.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
He certainly doesn’t care, but giving up that much for Kasperi Kapanen seems foolish to me when he could sign a UFA who can produce similar numbers without giving up assets.

I was having a similar conversation with a coworker (Pens fan) and he asked me which free agents would be available in that range (~3.2 mil). The list was a little shorter than I expected. Most of the better names will probably fetch more than that, even somebody coming off a bad year like Mikael Granlund. For 3 mil, you might find yourself in Craig Smith / Vlad Namestnikov territory.

For Pittsburgh, perhaps they view Kapanen as a breakout candidate if he's used as a top 6 winger. Akin to say Kyle Palmieri being stuck behind Perry/Silfverberg in Anaheim then being productive with more ice time in New Jersey.

We'll see what they get when they trade either Murray or Jarry. If they were to hypothetically get some picks back for Murray, perhaps Rutherford can rationalize it that he's swapping out a replaceable goalie for a top 6 forward?

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think the Kings should go for it while Kopitar and Doughty are still good players much like Pittsburgh is doing.
If the organization believes what it was saying when the signed Kopitar and Doughty (I don't think they believe it anymore.), then yes that is what should be done.

It's a fool's errand though.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I was having a similar conversation with a coworker (Pens fan) and he asked me which free agents would be available in that range (~3.2 mil). The list was a little shorter than I expected. Most of the better names will probably fetch more than that, even somebody coming off a bad year like Mikael Granlund. For 3 mil, you might find yourself in Craig Smith / Vlad Namestnikov territory.

For Pittsburgh, perhaps they view Kapanen as a breakout candidate if he's used as a top 6 winger. Akin to say Kyle Palmieri being stuck behind Perry/Silfverberg in Anaheim then being productive with more ice time in New Jersey.

We'll see what they get when they trade either Murray or Jarry. If they were to hypothetically get some picks back for Murray, perhaps Rutherford can rationalize it that he's swapping out a replaceable goalie for a top 6 forward?

Don’t know what the cost would be, but Haula is a player who could possibly be had at a reasonable price who can put up bigger numbers. That’s the type of player I’d target if I’m a team strapped for cap space and looking to go for a low risk, high reward signing.

They probably can’t afford a Dadonov or Hoffman, but many teams who are up against the cap will also be looking to make some moves and there could be some interesting RFAs who won’t be qualified, and Tampa Bay needs to get really creative to lock up some of their players.

Another low risk, high reward type of signing could be Kovalchuk. He didn’t work out in Washington but he looked great in Montreal. Would be interesting to see how he’d look in a Pens uniform.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I think the Kings should go for it while Kopitar and Doughty are still good players much like Pittsburgh is doing.

Kings brass believes that both will still be good players for the 2021-22 season.

Kings brass also went for it with not only these two but every key remaining piece from 2014 that Blake inherited when they signed Kovalchuk. The Kings responded by finishing next-to-DFL in the league while Pittsburgh has basically put up 100 points a season since 2007.

While they have not produced results in the playoffs since their last Cup win, they also haven't completely bottomed out like the Kings did. Rutherford has zero reason to try and draft a guy at 15OA that might contribute in two years at best: he's going to ride his core into the ground like Lombardi did and won't be the one to clean up the mess.

Blake, on the other hand, had a core that took a shit on his face so he couldn't believe that they were contenders anymore.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Kinda my thing, it's not so much that Pittsburgh chose to keep swinging with Crosby and Malkin, you kinda have to, it's that they did all that for Kapanen and rescued TO in the process. Even if you had always planned on flushing the 1st down the toilet if it weren't Lafreniere, spending a mid first on a guy who's a 40-pointer middle-sixer JAG is like...meh. Slap him with Crosby/Malkin and maybe that becomes 50 points but they must be high on his upside as well as placing this as a puzzle piece in a series of additional moves.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Don’t know what the cost would be, but Haula is a player who could possibly be had at a reasonable price who can put up bigger numbers. That’s the type of player I’d target if I’m a team strapped for cap space and looking to go for a low risk, high reward signing.

I was talking myself into Haula as a potential target for the Devils, if only so he could take the draws for Jack Hughes (36% last season) but I've read that Haula is much better/more comfortable at center than he is at wing. So I'm not sure he could have been an exact fit for Pittsburgh, plus he's coming off of a couple injury shortened seasons so it'll be interesting what team doctors have to say about Haula's health.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Can't imagine what the Pens could be thinking. After all, Nashville is the oldest team in the league followed by the Islanders, Boston, Vegas and Dallas.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I think many choose to forget Roman Cechmanek.
Wasn't he injured most of the time here? I don't remember him playing a lot.

He was the GM when that contract was signed, and just recently released statements strongly defending him. Unless you’re suggesting that a Sidney Crosby deal?
Was Rutherford GM in Carolina when they drafted him?

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I think Crosby was absolutely the reason JJ was given a contract. I doubt Pitt ever signs him otherwise.

As questionable as he has been as a player, I am still a little glad about his relationship with Crosby and that he was able to get the contract. Easy to say as an observer and not having to watch him on my team, but the way his parents did him dirty, I am glad he was able to settle his debts, clean his name and finances, and get back up into the millions.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Nothing would make me happier this playoff year then having the smugness knock out of Vegas and an early exit.

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
As questionable as he has been as a player, I am still a little glad about his relationship with Crosby and that he was able to get the contract. Easy to say as an observer and not having to watch him on my team, but the way his parents did him dirty, I am glad he was able to settle his debts, clean his name and finances, and get back up into the millions.

Yeah, a lot of people either don't know about that or forgot how bad off he was when his parents robbed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad