Around the League 2019-20 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I bet Thornton could have gotten $4 million for 1 year on the open market. I wonder why he's giving the Sharks such a break, they have an okay shot at the cup, but I don't think they're one of the top teams or anything.

It's a "break" but then you look at his last 2 contracts which were 8 million which was signed after he had a 50 pt season and 5 million which was after 36 in 47 and IIRC was dealing with knee issues. He took less to give the team some room but in the past the team has given him more than he should've gotten because they had the space

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Now they deal Faulk. Seriously, that's a really nice backend. (that's what she said).

EE053FC8-D706-4BE7-AE0E-444CBBEE3A66.gif

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
At first glance Faulk would kinda make sense as an option for us, but upon further review I'm not convinced he's better than butcher. In fact I think Butcher is quite a bit better than Faulk, especially factoring age and contract.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
In terms of trade partners, Anaheim and Carolina could match up. Ducks only have two RHD signed (and one of those is Korbinian Holzer who might not be a regular) and a boatload of young forwards to potentially dangle. Then again, not sure which direction Anaheim is going this year so adding an impending UFA might not make sense for them.

I don't think they have the cap space but Faulk would be a great fit on Vegas as well.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
At first glance Faulk would kinda make sense as an option for us, but upon further review I'm not convinced he's better than butcher. In fact I think Butcher is quite a bit better than Faulk, especially factoring age and contract.

Contract for sure. Age (27), yeahhhh.... I guess so.....

and while I'm not convinced that Faulk is better than what Butcher *will be*...if he builds his game - I think right now Faulk is a considerable upgrade whom we can play in the top4 without any concerns of matchups. I don't know for sure that Butcher will ever get there, but I find it likely he will. Not saying we should do anything, but really the only piece of the puzzle missing here is that top4 LHD we're pretty desperate for. and, well, goaltending.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

and while I'm not convinced that Faulk is better than what Butcher *will be*...if he builds his game - I think right now Faulk is a considerable upgrade whom we can play in the top4 without any concerns of matchups. I don't know for sure that Butcher will ever get there, but I find it likely he will. Not saying we should do anything, but really the only piece of the puzzle missing here is that top4 LHD we're pretty desperate for. and, well, goaltending.
I think the only way we can get another LHD is if it is a surefire top pairing. A top 4 just kinda mucks up the waters even more. The three guys we have who would presumably play this year could all pretty much be considered second/third pair with a question mark on the top. Getting another guy in that range without a trade is basically just going to push Smith out with out improving us much, if at all because we wouldn't know how Smith would do with a full year in the NHL still.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Faulk is a righty. I'm not even convinced he's that much of an upgrade over Vatanen, Severson or Butcher for a top 4 spot and he is certainly not a "considerable" upgrade. If we were targeting anyone for a top 4 LHD it should've been Gardiner and I still cannot f***ing believe the bargain Carolina got him for

Last edited:
Reactions: AfroThunder396

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Faulk is a righty. If we were targeting anyone for a top 4 LHD it should've been Gardiner and I still cannot ****ing believe the bargain Carolina got him for

And there is that.... but my point still stands with any possible LHD upgrade.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Faulk is a righty. I'm not even convinced he's that much of an upgrade over Vatanen, Severson or Butcher for a top 4 spot and he is certainly not a "considerable" upgrade. If we were targeting anyone for a top 4 LHD it should've been Gardiner and I still cannot ****ing believe the bargain Carolina got him for

I'll agree with you that Gardiner was a bargain, and would've been a great buy low on that deal...
I'm not advocating getting Faulk - and I agree - he isn't much of an upgrade if any over Sevs or Vats. My point is we need to find a legit top4 guy on the left side. Ideally a first pairing who is just a bridge to Smith who adds stability so Subban can do his thing - but I'd take a second pairing guy. I don't care if it 'muddies the water' because right now none of:
Andy Greene
Mirco Mueller
Will Butcher
Ty Smith

should play top pairing minutes, nor even legitimately own a 2nd pairing spot outright if we are thinking in terms of actually competing for the playoffs and a cup... especially with our goaltending.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I'll agree with you that Gardiner was a bargain, and would've been a great buy low on that deal...
I'm not advocating getting Faulk - and I agree - he isn't much of an upgrade if any over Sevs or Vats. My point is we need to find a legit top4 guy on the left side. Ideally a first pairing who is just a bridge to Smith who adds stability so Subban can do his thing - but I'd take a second pairing guy. I don't care if it 'muddies the water' because right now none of:
Andy Greene
Mirco Mueller
Will Butcher
Ty Smith

should play top pairing minutes, nor even legitimately own a 2nd pairing spot outright if we are thinking in terms of actually competing for the playoffs and a cup... especially with our goaltending.

I don't think there's really anyone out there currently. Best case scenario would Smith is super impressive and can handle playing like 20 minutes and spending a lot of time with PK. Then we could have something like

Smith-PK
Butcher-Vatanen
Greene-Severson

With PK getting a lot of time and the other 5 getting similar minutes

I won't even get into the goaltending because we've been over that and disagree

RyGuy

Mar 24, 2013
Medford, NJ

Faulk is solid defensively. Butcher is adequate. Faulk has better offensive numbers and size. I dont see a comparison.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I don't think there's really anyone out there currently. Best case scenario would Smith is super impressive and can handle playing like 20 minutes and spending a lot of time with PK. Then we could have something like

Smith-PK
Butcher-Vatanen
Greene-Severson

With PK getting a lot of time and the other 5 getting similar minutes

I won't even get into the goaltending because we've been over that and disagree

No way can Smith play those minutes. I'd doubt that Butcher/Vats could hold their own against 2nd lines. No way is Severson 3rd pairing. That (R) for rookie he is lugging around won't allow it.

At least early in the season, we'll probably see
Greene - Subban , if only because the coaching staff esteems Greene's ability as a stable defender
Mueller - Severson, if only because Butcher Severson seems scary,
Butcher - Vats

and just even minute distribution, OR, they try to shift Vats to the left side and go:
Vats - Subban
Greene - Severson
Butcher/Mueller - Carrick

I mean, in terms of complete defensemen at both ends - guys you want to play the most minutes - our D runs Subban, Severson, Vats, Butcher, Greene, (or maybe vice versa on the last two) Mueller, Carrick - so you've got to be trying to get all of your RHD the most minutes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Not something you see to often with crossing over of sports on the management/executive/scouting level. The Sharks hired former MLB Dodgers GM Ned Colletti as a scout.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27553028/sharks-hire-ex-dodgers-gm-colletti-scout

Paul DiPodesta tried it for a minute and a half (went from baseball to football) and it failed spectacularly. But at least the downside is pretty low of being a scout...if anything it's a bit unusual to see a former GM in one sport take a real downgrade to scout in another.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kind of funny how when Jake Gardiner was a UFA, no one wanted to sign him and complained about his defense. Now his signing in Rawly completes the best defense in the league?

Losing him makes Toronto's D even worse, especially since they dumped him off and acquired Cody Feces from Ottawa. Although that trade did help them get rid of Zaitsev and his shitty deal.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Kind of funny how when Jake Gardiner was a UFA, no one wanted to sign him and complained about his defense. Now his signing in Rawly completes the best defense in the league?

Losing him makes Toronto's D even worse, especially since they dumped him off and acquired Cody Feces from Ottawa. Although that trade did help them get rid of Zaitsev and his ****ty deal.
Gardiner is a good defenseman and I think he'd be a definite upgrade. But with our current D situation I don't know where he'd fit. That would basically mean Smith gets sent back to junior.

If we signed him I'd be happy but there are some logistical problems. If he was UFA next year he could easily slide into Greene's spot, but the timing isn't right at the moment. Butcher is on the cusp of becoming an excellent defenseman and I expect Smith to have a very fast rise

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Losing him makes Toronto's D even worse, especially since they dumped him off and acquired Cody Feces from Ottawa. Although that trade did help them get rid of Zaitsev and his ****ty deal.
I think this was because everyone was just expecting this massive deal and preemptively crapping on it. But then he signed a reasonable deal and everyone went, oh wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad