Around the League 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
What the hell else do you do when it's -26?

winnepeg weather - Google Search

When you include the windchill it's gone down to around -60 Fahrenheit (actual temp around -28 fahrenheit) the last couple of days. One of the coldest stretches I can remember. It's pretty brutal. Still not as bad as the cold in Edmonton from my time living there, imo, but still not great. Its command start and only go outside to run to the car weather haha.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I learned about windchill when I attended Bowling Green... trying to find my keys while my hands were frozen numb was always fun. Having experienced four seasons when I went out-of-state for school made me appreciate how good we have it in LA.

Probably my only positive experiences in that region involved hockey. I got to experience watching a Michigan Wolverines game at the Yost Ice Arena, and also experienced a dump of a rink in Toledo for some ECHL hockey, and also caught an OHL game between the Mississauga Ice Dogs and Sudbury Wolves. That's one thing that is awesome about getting to live near a hockey region, the sheer number and variance of hockey games is a great experience for any hockey fan.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
^^ I hear you, Ziggy. I’m in the GTA andlive within an hour of all kinds of hockey ranging from NHL, AHL, OHL and ECHL.

Don’t know how many different games I have taken in this year between going to Buffalo, Toronto, London, Kitchener, etc. and catching my hometown Hamilton Bulldogs.

It’s hockey overload here.

You didn't even mention the OPJHL, or the Golden Horseshoe Loop, not to mention the Senior League loop etc,

The GTA is absolutely the mecca of the hockey world, it's amazing how submersed you can find yourself in the sport in that region.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I have learned to love the cold and the season change, but when it gets to these temps it's just tough because it really is to cold to even walk out of your house, your eyes literally hurt from walking outside (assuming everything else is layered).

star-wars-photoshop.jpg

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I have learned to love the cold and the season change, but when it gets to these temps it's just tough because it really is to cold to even walk out of your house, your eyes literally hurt from walking outside (assuming everything else is layered).

star-wars-photoshop.jpg
Thought these were cool videos. Think Brown would have minded a trade back home to Buffalo?

This next one has nothing to do with our weather in the U.S. now, but it started playing right after the Niagara Falls video. Every year in Argentina this ice bridge forms. Layers of ice pile on until it collapses under its own weight. Kind of like the Kings under the weight of retirement contracts.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Yeah, she’s a cold one up here in the GTA. Close to feeling like -40 with the wind chill this evening. The old 07’ Mazda3 almost didn’t start when I left work today but she pulled through in crunch time.

I love when people tell me it’s cold and snowing too much. I always remind them that they live in Canada, what the f*** does one expect? Put your big boy pants and longjohns on and tough it out. :laugh:

One more day and the temps will start to improve. We’re gonna get up to +3 early next week! All good.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

star-wars-photoshop.jpg

I knew someone would photoshop that scene in when I saw the picture of Chicago like that.

So when you go outside [to walk to work or take the subway], you wear thermals and cold gear, what happens when you come back inside where its warm? Do you just roast with the thermal clothing on?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I knew someone would photoshop that scene in when I saw the picture of Chicago like that.

So when you go outside [to walk to work or take the subway], you wear thermals and cold gear, what happens when you come back inside where its warm? Do you just roast with the thermal clothing on?
Whenever I visited the Chicago area on business in the winter time I would wear a heavy coat to go from the hotel room to the car and drive into wherever I was meeting with clients. The one thing I never understood was why people in the midwest crank the heat up inside to 75 degrees F.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I learned about windchill when I attended Bowling Green... trying to find my keys while my hands were frozen numb was always fun. Having experienced four seasons when I went out-of-state for school made me appreciate how good we have it in LA.

Probably my only positive experiences in that region involved hockey. I got to experience watching a Michigan Wolverines game at the Yost Ice Arena, and also experienced a dump of a rink in Toledo for some ECHL hockey, and also caught an OHL game between the Mississauga Ice Dogs and Sudbury Wolves. That's one thing that is awesome about getting to live near a hockey region, the sheer number and variance of hockey games is a great experience for any hockey fan.

Sounds like what happens after surfing for 3 hour in the winter. My hands have been frozen and numb so bad that i couldn't turn the key to open the car door. :nod:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
When it's say, 20 degrees it's fine with a coat and some gloves with a basic knit cap (mostly to cover ears). Get in your car or on the train and it's a matter of throwing the gloves and hat in your coat pockets and taking off the coat. But when it's as cold as it is now it's quite a bit more challenging because if you have to go outside you should be heavily layered and probably wearing a full on bank robber style ski mask. Having remote start for your car is something that is very important when living in a cold climate like the upper midwest, people don't realize how long it will take for a car to heat up when it's -15 degrees.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Whenever I visited the Chicago area on business in the winter time I would wear a heavy coat to go from the hotel room to the car and drive into wherever I was meeting with clients. The one thing I never understood was why people in the midwest crank the heat up inside to 75 degrees F.

That must be a hell of an electric/gas bill. I set mine to 70 in the winter, and alot of people I know set it at less, like 68.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
This next one has nothing to do with our weather in the U.S. now, but it started playing right after the Niagara Falls video. Every year in Argentina this ice bridge forms. Layers of ice pile on until it collapses under its own weight. Kind of like the Kings under the weight of retirement contracts.

damn. sometimes nature really do be like that.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

621378_10101253598889604_600101222_o.jpg

I've had a couple fun Michigan hockey trips. In 2012, I saw a Michigan State/Michigan game at Yost. Jacob Trouba was probably the headliner in that game.

615394_10101253598939504_563929067_o.jpg

Midway through the game, a bunch of kids walked in wearing matching Finland jackets. Later I found out that there was a five team U18 tournament also going on several miles away. I was mad at myself for being completely oblivious of that as I could have easily fit in a game or two. Bunch of 2013 and 2014 draft eligibles were in town; I think William Nylander, Adrian Kempe, amongst others for Sweden, Kasperi Kapanen for Finland.

171912_10101253599174034_1421256386_o.jpg

Squeezed in a game at the Big House instead. I think they were supposed to have the Winter Classic there, but it got postponed due to the 2012 lockout.

281110_10101253599992394_1175892019_o.jpg

Later that night, drove out ~20 minutes to Plymouth to watch them host the London Knights. Max Domi and Nikita Zadorov were the headliners, but I remember really liking Bo Horvat who wasn't quite as touted at that point. Plymouth also had Rickard Rakell and Tom Wilson.

I remember lucking out with the weather that trip. It was practically California (winter) weather when I was there and then a snowstorm came in right after I left.

-------------------

10624732_10102644590306654_6328707295935629817_n.jpg

In 2014, I drove across the border to Windsor. All my Canadian friends told me that getting into Canada would be a breeze but getting back into the US would be a pain. Ended up being the reverse for me. Canadian border guard didn't seem to understand how an Asian guy from San Diego would want to go watch a junior hockey game for Connor McDavid. Meanwhile the US border guard immediately realized I was just a sports geek and let me on through.

When I got back to my friend's place, I was reading up local news and found this humorous story: Man tried to smuggle 51 turtles in pants across border

The 26-year-old Windsor man appeared in federal court Thursday on charges that he attempted to smuggle dozens of turtles across the Detroit-Windsor border into Canada — an alleged attempt foiled when security officers found the reptiles hidden in his sweatpants, according to a federal court filing.

The incident was one in a series of alleged smuggling attempts involving Xu and foiled by federal investigators. Early Wednesday, Xu and a second Canadian man, Lihua Lin, 30, were arrested after Lin tried to fly to Shanghai, China, with more than 200 turtles hidden in his luggage.

I like to think the Canadian border patrol guy was trying to figure out whether I was a turtle smuggler.

10649600_10102646120075984_694940405168514509_n.jpg

The next day, I saw an Auston Matthews led-US U18 squad play against Kyle Connor's USHL team. Off the top of my head, I think there was something like ten fuure first round picks in the game plus a bunch of second rounders. Probably at least 30 scouts in the building as well.

It's a shame that Plymouth relocated to Flint. I was hoping to see if I could do another OHL-NCAA-USHL combo weekend.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I’ve never been in sub-zero temperatures. I’ll take a warm, sunny beach instead. It got down to the teens last week when I was in Utah, hard pass. I’ll stay in Southern California or venture closer to the equator. Miss me with that cold shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad