Around the League 2018-2019 Part 2- Everyone is having fun except us

Status
Not open for further replies.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Fans in Calgary likely remember Sutter as a lousy GM, and they probably should.
Pretty much yup. He is seen as a great coach here but shit GM.

To be honest he traded away alot to try and get the team over the hump while GM here. I thought bringing in Jaybo and Jokinen were decent gambles at the time. However trading away Jokinen was a goat show as his value plummeted. Also he didn't get anything for Dion when Dion's value was pretty good. That deal has a lot of rumors around it, but sure sounds like other GMs didn't even know he was available. He is not given enough credit for trading for Cammaleri or Conroy agian. Tanquay was a Sutter pick up as was Langkow and Kippersoff.

he is not remembered very fondly as a GM here but i think he should be. He took a team that could not sell out in a Canadian Market (at a time when Alberta was booming), and transformed them into a place fans wanted to go and a place players wanted to play. A lot of big names came through Calgary during Daryl's time, and I like that he did not just sit back.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If Edmonton goes nuts and gets Dean, Hexy and Darryl to come in and save their franchise, that will be a bitter pill to swallow.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If Edmonton goes nuts and gets Dean, Hexy and Darryl to come in and save their franchise, that will be a bitter pill to swallow.
It would be fun to watch and see how they would take on such a project. Big cap dollars have been spent on the forwards, and the Lucic contract is just a roster wrecker.

They also committed way too much to Koskinen.

Seven years remaining on McDavid's contract. They better do something to get it moving in the right direction.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
It would be fun to watch and see how they would take on such a project. Big cap dollars have been spent on the forwards, and the Lucic contract is just a roster wrecker.

They also committed way too much to Koskinen.

Seven years remaining on McDavid's contract. They better do something to get it moving in the right direction.

Koskinen's deal is more of a head scratcher than Lucic (not saying it is better). He has done nothing to deserve it.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
That would be the ideal spot for that crew to end up. They would have the best player in the world and another arguably top 10-15 player. If they drafted their kind of players building from the goal out they could build a really strong team.

Reactions: KINGS17

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Deano goes in, trades Klefbomm for Kadri & Gardiner. Moves RHN and futures for Benn and Seguin. Drafts a goalie and acquires defensemen to fill out the roster. Boom Cup.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Just watch, DL steps foot into the office and pulls off a Lucic trade / dump in record fashion.

Our ultra small Kings universe would turn topsy turvy.

“I’m a mad scientist. We don’t need lip gloss. We have jumper cables.”

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Deano goes in, trades Klefbomm for Kadri & Gardiner. Moves RHN and futures for Benn and Seguin. Drafts a goalie and acquires defensemen to fill out the roster. Boom Cup.

Gardiner is a UFA at seasons end. I think there are other guys the Leafs would prefer to move before Kadri.

Been and Seguin combine for roughly $19 million for thr next 7 years. Benn has not looked good for long stretches this year. I’d avoid him as he is about to turn 30.

Oil are up against the cap as it is. Don’t think those deals would even work on NHL 19’ :laugh:.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Let’s go Sens!

giphy.gif

Reactions: KingsCourt

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
They were an expansion team. They didn't have too much choice then. Their roster today looks about the same. They are just a bad team right now.

I believe they had a few competent players back then (believe it or not) that they were purposely sitting. Hence the NHL having to be forced to investigate them and also the introduction of the draft lottery in ‘95.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The Ducks are a 1 player team and he has given up 3 goals on 22 shots. Perry being his usual punk self has 13 min of pims tonight.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I believe they had a few competent players back then (believe it or not) that they were purposely sitting. Hence the NHL having to be forced to investigate them and also the introduction of the draft lottery in ‘95.

Right. I remember that. I always thought that it was a bit of a witch hunt considering how far they were behind. Seemed more to me that they were trying to see what they did have in players. However, it conjured shades of 84 and here we are.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
OTT destroyed TOR and beat STL before tonight so it's probably just a bad night rather than trying to lose especially since they have no vested interest in the #1 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad