Around the League 2018-2019 Part 2- Everyone is having fun except us

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
See, Matthews is a team player, taking on the league minimum salary in order to help the Leafs' cap situation. :sarcasm:
It's going to be interesting to see if the Leafs really get a discount on the cap hits for Matthews and Marner by not insisting on 8-year deals, and allowing the players to go UFA as soon as possible.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's going to be interesting to see if the Leafs really get a discount on the cap hits for Matthews and Marner by not insisting on 8-year deals, and allowing the players to go UFA as soon as possible.

Seems to me that Leafs management thinks they have up to a five year window to win it all before they start having to lose some core pieces.

They already have close to $72M committed towards 14 players next season, not including Marner and Gardiner, who they may very likely lose as a UFA. In addition to Marner, they also have to re-sign Kasperi Kapanen and Andreas Johnsson, both of whom are likely to get significant pay bumps over their current salaries.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
"The Kings were horrible signing their players to bloated retirement contracts! Look at the leafs and their young talent, using their ELC years and leverage to keep a competitive team cheap!"

*Leafs sign Matthews to a 12 mil a year deal and buy out only one UFA year*

"Oh"

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
There are zero discounts of any kind in that deal, Matthews and his team budged on nothing, and got everything they wanted (term, money, payment structure, NMC, everything)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer and KINGS17

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I meant backloading the salary he's paid to lower the cap hit.

I think you mean frontloading, and it AM's case it has less to do with cap hit and more to do with giving the player the bulk of the cash up front for the player's benefit.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
kings about to soon pass the ducks in the standings

ready to battle for that #1 overall pick?

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Dubas got exposed as a rookie GM with Nylander and now Matthews. Matthews got pretty much everything he could have possibly hoped for, 2nd highest AAV, nearly fully signing bonuses and he becomes a UFA at 26, that contract is just insane. Beyond just that contract, Marner is not going to accept very much less, if any at all. Then you have Johnsson and Kapanen who will be demanding substantial raises. I think the biggest sign that Dubas was in over his head is how soon he gave this contract, there was no reason to concede this fast, I can't imagine Matthews could have honestly asked for more no matter how well he played. It'll be interesting to see how he unwinds himself from this cap mess.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Three players at 30 million combined in the near future. Better get those cups in the next two years.

Nylander can be shed. Muzz will cash in after next year unless they let him walk.

They have a solid core tho.

Reactions: Fixxer

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think you mean frontloading, and it AM's case it has less to do with cap hit and more to do with giving the player the bulk of the cash up front for the player's benefit.

Sorry, you're right. I meant front-loading.

As for the signing bonus, I'm sure a lot has to do with lockout protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->