Around The League 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I kinda like that Kevin Shattenredden is going to be a healthy scratch because he's sucking so badly.

and to think there were people on this board that really wanted him super badly "because he fit a need" lol that might be true but that doesn't mean he is the right guy to throw money at. enjoy that hometown discount!

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Lets not sit here and say everyone here knew Shattenkirk would decline this fast and become a bad player. At the time we all would've been thrilled with him signing here and would've been considered our top dman. I wanted him bad and I was pissed when the Rags got him over us when we offered a better deal. I thought he could've really helped this team on the back end.

With that said, he is a moron for leaving the money on the table that he did, and now I'm glad he chose to sign with them and rot away.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Lets not sit here and say everyone here knew Shattenkirk would decline this fast and become a bad player. At the time we all would've been thrilled with him signing here and would've been considered our top dman. I wanted him bad and I was pissed when the Rags got him over us when we offered a better deal. I thought he could've really helped this team on the back end.

With that said, he is a moron for leaving the money on the table that he did, and now I'm glad he chose to sign with them and rot away.

i will absolutely say then that i was the one person that did not want anything to do with shatenkirk and glad we didnt sign him.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Brian Compton is an idiot.... Here's his top 16 team power rankings.

1. Anaheim Ducks; 2. Carolina Hurricanes; 3. Toronto Maple Leafs; 4. Washington Capitals; 5. Tampa Bay Lightning; 6. Chicago Blackhawks; 7. Calgary Flames; 8. Nashville Predators; 9. New York Islanders; 10. San Jose Sharks; 11. Colorado Avalanche; 12. Boston Bruins; 13. Winnipeg Jets; 14. Buffalo Sabres; 15. New Jersey Devils; 16. Vegas Golden Knights

Canes at 2?! Hawks at 6?! Islanders in the top 10?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How could you actually sit there and say "Ya know, I think after finishing a bottom-feeder and losing their franchise player, the Isles are a really improved team! Top-10 quality!"
The experts want any reason to lose their shit about the Canes because they’re playing decent hockey for the first time since they were the annual fashionable pick for nerds four years ago. The offense finally looks legit with Peters gone, but the goaltending still sucks.

Vegas should not be there at all, not even at 16. They’ve played horribly on both offense and defense. They’re leaving Fleury out to dry.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

I think that alot of people here knew the: 'cash in as a free agent (with the Rangers helps), and promptly not live up to sky-high expectations, and then live in infamy' thing was likely going to happen.

UFA signings are a dice roll and fail to work out as much or more than actually working out - As soon as you attach a price tag to someone's performance, they are bound not to meet the bar in the fans' eyes - especially if they even meet their typical seasons (see Drury, see Gomez).

LOTS of fans pointed out his flaws and said the money wasn't going to be worth it.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
The experts want any reason to lose their **** about the Canes because they’re playing decent hockey for the first time since they were the annual fashionable pick for nerds four years ago. The offense finally looks legit with Peters gone, but the goaltending still sucks.

Vegas should not be there at all, not even at 16. They’ve played horribly on both offense and defense. They’re leaving Fleury out to dry.

I think folks underestimate the 'underdog' mindset playing a role in team success... especially with Vegas.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I think folks underestimate the 'underdog' mindset playing a role in team success... especially with Vegas.
Or us, even. Hynes lives off that stuff and the guys buy into it.

It’s clearly not working with Vegas so far, though. Never mind that hockey media, especially Greg Wyshynski, constantly heap them with praise while simultaneously saying they get no respect. FFS he wrote an article rehashing that argument today.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

over the last 25 years, how many rangers besides shattenkirk could you say this about? it’s hilarious

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I agree with you. A lot of us wanted him and now because he plays on the Rangers, people are laughing and saying his deal sucks and this and that. It's the same thing when Lundqvist allows a brutal goal and people here are laughing at the pad reduction and low save percentage that he's posting, but it's not a bad goal when it's on Cory or the twilight era Marty and they're sporting even more hideous save percentages.

That said, I don't think Shattenkirk is declining yet. At least there's not a lot of evidence to suggest that he is. He produced a little below his career average last year in points, but also only played half the games due to injury. Maybe those even out with more games played. The other stats for him looked pretty fine last year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The funny thing is I'm not sure Shatty knew the Rangers were going to start rebuilding when he signed there. If he did maybe his choice would have been different. Then again maybe he's fine with playing on his favorite team with no pressure to win, in which case I wouldn't have wanted him anyway.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The funny thing is I'm not sure Shatty knew the Rangers were going to start rebuilding when he signed there. If he did maybe his choice would have been different. Then again maybe he's fine with playing on his favorite team with no pressure to win, in which case I wouldn't have wanted him anyway.
There's pressure to not be benched :)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There's pressure to not be benched :)

Well yeah but I don't think in his worst nightmare he thought he was going to miss half a season then get benched almost immediately by another coach to begin the next one.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I agree with you. A lot of us wanted him and now because he plays on the Rangers, people are laughing and saying his deal sucks and this and that. It's the same thing when Lundqvist allows a brutal goal and people here are laughing at the pad reduction and low save percentage that he's posting, but it's not a bad goal when it's on Cory or the twilight era Marty and they're sporting even more hideous save percentages.

That said, I don't think Shattenkirk is declining yet. At least there's not a lot of evidence to suggest that he is. He produced a little below his career average last year in points, but also only played half the games due to injury. Maybe those even out with more games played. The other stats for him looked pretty fine last year.

I think ANYONE could help our D corps, and certainly Shattenkirk would be an upgrade...

That said, I... like many others... said that UFAs are no way to build a team, and I think there is a pretty strong contingent of folks who believe that.
....and sadly, a 4 year contract isn't going to completely jeopardize their future.

All this being said... a one-game scratch does not a career make he could key their run to a Stanley Cup.

oh wait.. hahaha, no.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol if that was Lou with us they'd not only take away the roster spot but not allow a cap exemption.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey

Shattenkirk seemed to enter the Rangers at the worst possible time. Some of it is fall off from injury, but systematically and personnel wise the NYR defense has been on a steep, steady decline.
I don't think he would have been a liability here, but it also would have cost way too much to divert him from his childhood team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad