Around the League 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Can’t see him signing an extension in Ottawa. Could see him playing out his contract and hitting the open market. I don’t believe anyone in Karlsson’s position would be open to staying in Ottawa unless the owner changes.

There are rumblings that he isn't on good terms with the owner as well. I think it would take an ownership change to get him to change his mind. The ownership group would also have to be the correct group (I'm thinking of the one that has Alfredsen's backing)

Yeah, I know there was more to it than the bullying - but people get over being mad at each other. Just a feeling I'm getting as this drags on.

Clearly, an ownership change would shift the whole picture. But what are the chances of Melnyk selling anytime soon? I think EK having a change of heart has a better chance.

Karlsson may be absolutely firm in this, IDK. We'll see.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Players are taxed where they earn the money, so for 41 road games they pay a similar rate on half their salary. Of course signing bonuses are probably paid in the home jurisdiction which could save a lot of taxes in a place like Florida. And there are things they can do to mitigate the high Canadian taxes - there was an article in the Athletic about it recently. Why taxes shouldn’t prevent John Tavares or any free agent... The main strategy they talk about is a Retirement Compensation Arrangement where a player can defer large chunks of salary to the future and pay tax when they withdraw it - so if they're retired to Florida or some other tax haven, they'd get the benefit of the low taxes on that portion of their salary.

The whole tax comparison is a lot more complicated than simply comparing marginal rates. When you are making millions, you can afford a sheister to minimize the tax hit wherever you are.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'm seriously beginning to wonder if he might stay in Ottawa. The source of the poison there is gone. Well the bullying one is. Sens apparently offered 8x10. That's a serious offer, but Doughty got 8x11. Might Sens match the Doughty deal? If they do, would EK relent and stay? We could have a whole lot of noise and smoke with nothing in the end.

I can't see Karlsson staying in Ottawa. The relationship is too damaged I feel. It would have to be a crazy offer, and even then I feel he would take a little less elsewhere.

Ottawa aren't close to competing. He won't settle for another few years of losing I don't think.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can't see Karlsson staying in Ottawa. The relationship is too damaged I feel. It would have to be a crazy offer, and even then I feel he would take a little less elsewhere.

Ottawa aren't close to competing. He won't settle for another few years of losing I don't think.

You're probably right. Just a thought that wandered through my head. Though they are a lot closer to competing if he stays. FWIW. Maybe that encourages some others to also stay, like Stone.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm seriously beginning to wonder if he might stay in Ottawa. The source of the poison there is gone. Well the bullying one is. Sens apparently offered 8x10. That's a serious offer, but Doughty got 8x11. Might Sens match the Doughty deal? If they do, would EK relent and stay? We could have a whole lot of noise and smoke with nothing in the end.

8x10 is not a serious offer. It's a token offer to show that they tried. Everyone knows he wont take a penny less than Doughty.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
follow the mathews. that said, i think leafs will bridge mathews.
dunno. the tavares thing really makes me wonder about Matthews. also, the Leafs have already slighted him once. you don't want to piss him off by giving him a contract he may not want

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
8x10 is not a serious offer. It's a token offer to show that they tried. Everyone knows he wont take a penny less than Doughty.

I get your point but 8x10 gets him into the top 10 in the league, I believe. 80 mil ain't chump change. Maybe Melnyk would have had a heart attack if he'd accepted though. :laugh:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Stars are back in the lead in the Karlsson sweepstakes. Did they decide to put Heiskanen on the table? Will Sens accept Callahan to enable a TBL deal? Will EK decide to stay in Ottawa after all?
That shouldn't be anything close to a decision. For Karlsson, you find a way to get him. You're not giving up Seguin, Benn or Klingberg, so you'd best make it happen.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
That shouldn't be anything close to a decision. For Karlsson, you find a way to get him. You're not giving up Seguin, Benn or Klingberg, so you'd best make it happen.

There've been some rumblings that Karlsson might not want to sign an extension right away. In that case, you think more than twice.

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mark Methot was in Ottawa for a wedding and told a group of us that, while he doesn't know if Karlsson will end up in Dallas, he knows for sure EK won't accept any contract offer from the Sens. Take it for what it's worth. Depressing atmosphere here in Ottawa (thank God for the Jets).

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

So, you're saying they have decided to put Heiskanen on the table - because apparently that was the sticking point a few days ago.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well if Dallas can pull this off while keeping Heiskanen then Nill will have done a masterful job of leveraging the situation because under normal circumstances that would be the beginning of a larger package to attract Karlssson.

Chicken is a great game when you win, but less fun when you come up short. stars aren’t in a terrible spot though because they already have one of the top RH offensive D men in the league and a cap controlled Heiskanen is a very attractive asset. Stars will be able to ice a very cost effective (all be it young) top 4 this season if Heiskanen and Honka can grow into bigger roles.

Really hard to turn away from Karlsson if you can land him though.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
As HEAD OF THE DEPARTMENT OF PLAYER SAFETY this is kind of questionable :laugh:
i mean, this is laughable but really, really tone deaf.
the MAGA hats referenced. a men's belt that promotes hockey violence when belts were traditionally used as a form of punishment against kids.
it's so awful in so many ways.
even worse? found a sportsnet.ca article basically shilling for this company upon its start-up. it was like an infomercial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GJF

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
https://www.tsn.ca/talent/the-nhl-still-hasn-t-figured-out-how-to-pay-goaltenders-1.1137499

The NHL still hasn’t figured out how to pay goaltenders

When considering shot volume and shot quality, we don’t see any evidence that highly paid players ( goalies) are any more or less likely to stop proportionally more shots than their lower-paid compatriots.
i've been saying that for years. I call it the Crawford Effect.
was he ever worth his $6 mil/year?
is Carey Price worth his $10 mil/year if he's giving you 0.5 fewer goals against per game? or are you better off having a $4 mil/year goalie at league average?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
i've been saying that for years. I call it the Crawford Effect.
was he ever worth his $6 mil/year?
is Carey Price worth his $10 mil/year if he's giving you 0.5 fewer goals against per game? or are you better off having a $4 mil/year goalie at league average?

Don't want to derail this into a Helly thread, but it does beg the question.... Most people look at the contract that Helly just got and might say it's a little high or a little long, but see it as a necessity and maybe fair... BUT, based on what? Sure it's maybe the going rate, but is giving Helly more money going to make him a better goalie? Or could a team see the same success just playing rookie goalies every year?

It's all guess work, voodoo, and hoping the contract doesn't backfire.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
i guess all lives matter as well, don't they?
you're a good poster but i'm not sure why you're arguing this.
when the majority of the population is white and i'm calling out a product (the NHL) as skewing way to far to that demographic, it is not racist.
when the majority of your fans are male and your broadcast and promotion and archaic league rules cater to a time when "men were men", then i and others are correct for calling it out for being such.

I just responded to your earlier post.

I see your point. All lives do matter. Equally. But some lives are more in danger - based on their race. I'm just trying to avoid using racist language. You have a valid criticism of hockey culture. I think pointing at 'white male' is unnecessary to making your criticism. It is using a stereotype as shorthand for the real problem.

Where I may be part of the problem, which I probably am sometimes, it is not because I am white and male. It is because I have grown up accepting things without examining them critically. I have formed habits of thought and speech that are wrong. I may need to re-educate myself, retrain myself to break those habits. When I have done so and am part of the solution, I will still be white and male.

So, as I said elsewhere - it was intended as a light-hearted poke at the language. Lets not turn it into anything more.

Reactions: Huffer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad