Around the League 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't know, getting almost 6 million in cap space looks like it will have a lot of value to the Jets

I'm not opposed to getting the cap space. I don't like the path that was chosen to do it. Also, we didn't need 6, we needed 4. Next year is another story. We will need more than that 2 mil.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I'm not opposed to getting the cap space. I don't like the path that was chosen to do it. Also, we didn't need 6, we needed 4. Next year is another story. We will need more than that 2 mil.

Who would you have traded for cap space then? If the Jets have 2 million in cap space at the start of the year I will be a little sad Armia is gone, but I'm not so sure that will be the case.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Who would you have traded for cap space then? If the Jets have 2 million in cap space at the start of the year I will be a little sad Armia is gone, but I'm not so sure that will be the case.

I won't, you want to have cap space available for possible trades that you may have to make during the season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You seem to be ignoring the fact I didn't object to moving him. Only the value of the return.

I can see the logic in moving Mason but I don't agree with it. It has left us with a very iffy backup goalie and cost us Armia + a 4th. That is a huge price to pay for taking that cap for only 1 year. My preferred solution might have been seen as even worse by some here but that is another discussion.

I think Armia + 4th should have been worth Kylington from Calgary, for example. Or similar value from someone else. Maybe better value from someone else. Instead he is being seen here, now as just another cap dump.

That extra cap moved might be the difference between bridging Morrissey or signing him long term - for this year only. We still can't afford him LT next year unless there is more painful roster surgery next off-season. Or he signs LT for quite a bit less than I think he is worth.
Jets need the cap space this year or next. The cost would probably be having to give up Perreault.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I would have traded Perreault. And he is my favourite Jet.

He is due to decline soon, I think. His injuries and the way he exposes his body to abuse will not lead to a long career. He would have actually returned assets instead of costing us assets for someone to take him off our hands.

We would still have had Armia, the 4th and whatever we got for MP available to trade. We would have had a decent bet for a backup goalie. We have to assume Mason was physically OK because you can't buyout an injured player.

Reactions: scelaton

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jets need the cap space this year or next. The cost would probably be having to give up Perreault.

Exactly.

We are still going to need more cap space next year. That's part of my problem with the Mason/Armia solution. Mason's 4 mil was only for 1 year anyway. Perreault will still have to go next year. If his decline becomes apparent this year, and I think it might, his value will disappear. We will then have to pay someone assets to take him off our hands.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Exactly.

We are still going to need more cap space next year. That's part of my problem with the Mason/Armia solution. Mason's 4 mil was only for 1 year anyway. Perreault will still have to go next year. If his decline becomes apparent this year, and I think it might, his value will disappear. We will then have to pay someone assets to take him off our hands.
This year matters a lot, too. The Jets are one of the real favorites for the Cup so I can understand why they want to keep a player like Perreault this season. Besides, trading Perreault nets them about $4m, whereas they likely save about $5m with the Mason / Armia deal. I think the extra $1m might actually be consequential this year.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I would have traded Perreault. And he is my favourite Jet.

He is due to decline soon, I think. His injuries and the way he exposes his body to abuse will not lead to a long career. He would have actually returned assets instead of costing us assets for someone to take him off our hands.

We would still have had Armia, the 4th and whatever we got for MP available to trade. We would have had a decent bet for a backup goalie. We have to assume Mason was physically OK because you can't buyout an injured player.

That's a cool plan. I don't see Perrault regressing this year, and I'm not so sure Mason is a viable backup at this point anyways (will he even get an NHL deal?), so I don't necessarily agree, but it is well thought out.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This year matters a lot, too. The Jets are one of the real favorites for the Cup so I can understand why they want to keep a player like Perreault this season. Besides, trading Perreault nets them about $4m, whereas they likely save about $5m with the Mason / Armia deal. I think the extra $1m might actually be consequential this year.

You still insist on ignoring the possibility of also trading Armia - for value. Then the net saving is 6 mil instead of 5.

Or, to go back to your first point, if this year is that important it is entirely possible that Armia can contribute more to winning this year than what MP will. It is too soon to say for certain but I suspect he is already in decline. If he misses his usual 15 or so games and is sub-par for the rest then Armia would be more valuable.

I realize that is speculative but you can't always wait until it is too late just because you require certainty. Well, you can but it means you lose.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's a cool plan. I don't see Perrault regressing this year, and I'm not so sure Mason is a viable backup at this point anyways (will he even get an NHL deal?), so I don't necessarily agree, but it is well thought out.

I'm not sure Perreault will regress, but I didn't like the last half season and PO performance.

I'm also not sure about Mason. It is a gamble but at least we know he is an NHL level goalie if he can hold up physically.

We are never able to be really certain of these things. It is a best guess situation.

Reactions: bumblebeeman

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You still insist on ignoring the possibility of also trading Armia - for value. Then the net saving is 6 mil instead of 5.

Or, to go back to your first point, if this year is that important it is entirely possible that Armia can contribute more to winning this year than what MP will. It is too soon to say for certain but I suspect he is already in decline. If he misses his usual 15 or so games and is sub-par for the rest then Armia would be more valuable.

I realize that is speculative but you can't always wait until it is too late just because you require certainty. Well, you can but it means you lose.
Personally, I was for trading Perreault over many other options. But I don't think it would have been wise to trade both Perreault and Armia. It would leave them without the great depth that has been an advantage. My guess is that they were maneuvering to get space for Stastny, and would have been fine with moving Armia and Perreault to create cap space for him. But after losing out on Stastny I think they'll likely keep Perreault, unless they can package him with Myers to nab a good #2/3 C.

Myers and Perreault to the Leafs for Kadri?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Personally, I was for trading Perreault over many other options. But I don't think it would have been wise to trade both Perreault and Armia. It would leave them without the great depth that has been an advantage. My guess is that they were maneuvering to get space for Stastny, and would have been fine with moving Armia and Perreault to create cap space for him. But after losing out on Stastny I think they'll likely keep Perreault, unless they can package him with Myers to nab a good #2/3 C.

I had the same thought about Stastny. If theyhad kept him they would have needed to make another move. They needed to make 1 move either way so they did that. They would have made the 2nd one if necessary. I would still have preferred they reverse the order of the moves. Then if/when the Trouba issue is resolved, a Myers trade might have been another option.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB

Effffffffffffffffffff no

Reactions: HannuJ

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
True enough
Would not do it this year

Myers' contract expires this year. You can't trade him when he no longer belongs to you.

Kadri is far from being one of my favourite players but the value doing it now is pretty good. We get a 2C, under contract for 4 years at 4.5. We give up a Dman who is a pending UFA and a 3LW who is older and almost as expensive as the C we get. We have to move those players soon anyway for cap reasons. We would need to either trade Kadri in a year or move someone else in order to keep him. I don't think he would be hard to move. We would get a good return. If he has been a good enough fit we will find a way to keep him.

Reactions: tacogeoff

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Tyler Biggs is playing in the EIHL next year. So long to Brian Burke's truculence. Leafs fans have to be happy that their team is in a much better place now, because that pick has been stuck in the craw for them ever since it was made.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Tyler Biggs is playing in the EIHL next year. So long to Brian Burke's truculence. Leafs fans have to be happy that their team is in a much better place now, because that pick has been stuck in the craw for them ever since it was made.
that was an excellent 1st round for them. Stuart Percy lolol.
to be fair, there were a lot of misses drafted after that.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
5.8 AAV x 5 for Henrique 7.36% of cap. 28 years old last 3 year aveg 47 pts
4.85 AAV x 6 for Lindholm 6.10% of cap. 23 years old last 3 year avg 44 pts

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
5.8 AAV x 5 for Henrique 7.36% of cap. 28 years old last 3 year aveg 47 pts
4.85 AAV x 6 for Lindholm 6.10% of cap. 23 years old last 3 year avg 44 pts
I can understand the Henrique extension due to the situation Anaheim is in with regards to their contention and Kesler's health, but that Lindholm deal sure looks excessive. I reckon they are banking on a huge outburst from him, considering that the Flames just committed almost 30M to a guy who has played zero seconds with the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad