Around the League 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think McPhee got the memo...

Somehow I think Theodore got paid for reaching his potential when he hasn't got there yet. He has one season's worth of great offensive numbers and poor numbers elsewhere. That's what you cough up 36 million for?
In terms of percentage of cap, it's not too bad. Bogosian's 2013 deal would have a $6.4M AAV today. It probably won't be a worse contract than that.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Just realized Rogers no longer includes NHL with their plans.

Eff Rogers, legitimately a reason I stay with them.

The Fist

Fist full of dollars
Feb 9, 2014
Winnipeg
Just realized Rogers no longer includes NHL with their plans.

Eff Rogers, legitimately a reason I stay with them.

Just out of curiosity how did you find out? In my heated conversations with them they claim they informed affected customers by sept.13th, I call bs on that.

Reactions: Cellee

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Just out of curiosity how did you find out? In my heated conversations with them they claim they informed affected customers by sept.13th, I call bs on that.
By trying to log in and then searching online to find a thread in their own message board.

They definitely did not inform me in any meaningful way. Was it attached to their never ending attempt to have me sign up for their credit card?

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg

Not that I used it, but I was also not notified. I only found out because I read this thread.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Rogers sent me a text on September 13th saying they weren't including the 2018/19 season in the Share Everything plan, but here's a 25% discount. If you opted out of Rogers texts then maybe you never got it.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I was not notified. That is a fairly significant reduction in value for us all.

The Fist

Fist full of dollars
Feb 9, 2014
Winnipeg
Rogers sent me a text on September 13th saying they weren't including the 2018/19 season in the Share Everything plan, but here's a 25% discount. If you opted out of Rogers texts then maybe you never got it.

As a matter of fact my account is flagged for advertising, I've spent a great deal of time trying to prevent them from sending me anything ad related (before they would send ads to me by text, email, regular mail, it was a deluge) I just had a conversation last night with their CCTS investigator who was looking into my complaint on this subject and her mind boggingly stupid explanation was that I couldn't be notified because in the case of Gamecenter a notice was sent out but it included marketing material within the notification which I have had blocked, that was the reasoning, she claimed that Rogers has CRTC protection for this...for some reason.

The problem I have with that is they send me data overage texts with accompanying top up options, which is essentially the same thing, which to me nullifies that argument, I think they used gamecenter as a loss leader, but because they've lost money in the first few years they are clawing back on something they offered for free to customers because they now need customers to make up the shortfall. Typical.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I think they used gamecenter as a loss leader, but because they've lost money in the first few years they are clawing back on something they offered for free to customers because they now need customers to make up the shortfall. Typical.

I don't have a dog in this fight but it sounds to me like they recruited their marketing people from the crack business.

"Hi there, l'il Johnny, try this pipe. It's free. This time."

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
As a matter of fact my account is flagged for advertising, I've spent a great deal of time trying to prevent them from sending me anything ad related (before they would send ads to me by text, email, regular mail, it was a deluge) I just had a conversation last night with their CCTS investigator who was looking into my complaint on this subject and her mind boggingly stupid explanation was that I couldn't be notified because in the case of Gamecenter a notice was sent out but it included marketing material within the notification which I have had blocked, that was the reasoning, she claimed that Rogers has CRTC protection for this...for some reason.

The problem I have with that is they send me data overage texts with accompanying top up options, which is essentially the same thing, which to me nullifies that argument, I think they used gamecenter as a loss leader, but because they've lost money in the first few years they are clawing back on something they offered for free to customers because they now need customers to make up the shortfall. Typical.
Well, Rogers customer service is a bit of a clusterf*** at the best of times. I mean, I am literally talking to them every couple of months to sort out some billing mistake they've made. They're pretty good about fixing things when I bring something to their attention, but it would be nice if it didn't need constant fixing in the first place.

As for cancelling free NHL Live for their Share Everything Customers...I think either they determined that cancelling it wouldn't really make a difference (e.g. negligible number leave Rogers because of it, and/or not enough new customers signed up because of it), or they're trying to squeeze more money out of NHL Live.

I thought it was a nice perk, but not really essential - I already watch, what, 150ish NHL games a year conventionally? I don't need to spend another $150/year to catch the rare out-of-market game I might want to see.

I think they might have done better by offering to add it as a monthly charge on their customers' phone bill - and with a steeper discount than 25%. $9.99/month? I might have said, sure, what the heck.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't have a dog in this fight but it sounds to me like they recruited their marketing people from the crack business.

"Hi there, l'il Johnny, try this pipe. It's free. This time."
This would be a great marketing plan if regular season, out-of-market NHL hockey was as addictive as crack... :laugh:

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014

Being part of a monopoly is not enough.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Well, Rogers customer service is a bit of a cluster**** at the best of times. I mean, I am literally talking to them every couple of months to sort out some billing mistake they've made. They're pretty good about fixing things when I bring something to their attention, but it would be nice if it didn't need constant fixing in the first place.

As for cancelling free NHL Live for their Share Everything Customers...I think either they determined that cancelling it wouldn't really make a difference (e.g. negligible number leave Rogers because of it, and/or not enough new customers signed up because of it), or they're trying to squeeze more money out of NHL Live.

I thought it was a nice perk, but not really essential - I already watch, what, 150ish NHL games a year conventionally? I don't need to spend another $150/year to catch the rare out-of-market game I might want to see.

I think they might have done better by offering to add it as a monthly charge on their customers' phone bill - and with a steeper discount than 25%. $9.99/month? I might have said, sure, what the heck.
Yeah let's call them "billing errors".

Reactions: buggs

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Just saw that Kosmo-chuck was sent down to the minors by the Avs. today.

What really surprised me was that I noticed he signed a 1 year contract with them that pays $250,000 in the AHL.

Last year.... after not getting a qualifying offer from the Jets .... he caught on with Hartford (AHL) and had 15 goals and 42 points.

$250K a year guaranteed just seems high for a Jets cast off from last year. If the Jets had qualified him the last 2 years he would be lucky to be guaranteed $150K.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
NHL goalies wearing smaller chest protectors as equipment continues to shrink | The Star

Connor Hellebuyck recently stopped a puck up high near his collarbone — a shot that, in years past, he might not have thought about twice. In this instance, however, it hurt.

“Didn’t feel very good,” Hellebuyck said.

NHL shooters scored more times in 2017-18 than in any season since 2005-06, averaging nearly six goals a game. With that in mind, Hellebuyck doesn’t see a need to change — for safety or competitive reasons. “I’m not happy about it because it’s my job,” he said. “And really what they want is me to be worse.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad