Around the League 2018-19 v6

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Did some more digging. This years scoring race is insane. As little as two seasons ago Connor McDavid won the scoring race with 100pts. Only 7 players had as many as 82pts.

Last season Connor won scoring race with 108pts. 20 players had as many as 82pts.

This year at least 40 players are on pace to get as many as 82pts.

This season Kucherov is on pace for 131pts with Rantanen in a deadheat.

Connor is on pace for 123pts and somehow is as far back as 4th in scoring race. He would smash his best ever pt totals as the Hart Trophy winner the past couple seasons and still has a ton of work to do.

At least 10 players this season are on pace for as many pts as Connor won the Hart with a year ago. 20 have the kind of pace Connor won with two seasons ago.

Some radical shift is occurring. Surprised there hasn't been more commentary on this. Its not speed and skill either, that is nothing new. Its not new tech related, graphite sticks have been around for many years now. There is no easy explanation for these dramatic changes. The only one I can think of is that in recent seasons its more of a tendency for teams to match strength against strength and so that top players are not playing checking lines often. All that its resulting in is top players producing more, good for the agents and players financially, but not with any appreciably different impact on games or results.

Not disagreeing with your idea, but here's a few more.
Goaltending equipment changes probably count for a few goals here and there.
The youth movement would lead to more goals scored.

It's probably a perfect storm situation where it all adds up. There is also the whole "on pace for " argument of course.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We're entering a new NHL era, much like the late 70s/80s became a higher scoring league, that's whats happening now I think.

Makes sense anyway, almost every 10-15 years in the NHL a new style of play emerges. The league does not stay static.

Unfortunately we are way behind the league curve.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
We're entering a new NHL era, much like the late 70s/80s became a higher scoring league, that's whats happening now I think.

Makes sense anyway, almost every 10-15 years in the NHL a new style of play emerges. The league does not stay static.

We are just a surfer waiting for the next wave.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
That would infer planning and attention to detail.

We're a surfer not even paying attention to the waves or conditions or weather and surf reports that gets slammed into a reef, rocks, or drowned.

I'm here to help. ;)
But our lifeguard knows a thing or two about surfing....

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Not really buying that this is the major wave. The teams most represented in the wave and scoring race these days are non starters. typical teams and select lines that don't play 200ft hockey and can't be bothered to. often playing against other teams or lines with similar selective disposition. The funny thing looking at the top scorers is hardly any of those guys comes from a team I would expect to accomplish much. Mostly its just triads of players stcked on a line on their own island looking to score 1-3goals a game and not much caring how many against.

For this to be a major wave it has to be connected with some kind of actual NHL team success. Regular season results don't really apply.

Most capped leagues teams look at systems more, adherence more, and looking at D first waterproof games. Like another poster mentioned theres around 6-8 teams in which the top line have essentially taken over and are freelancing their own thing. Colorado would be a classic example.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
WOW, is it ever a mess in Dallas.
There is no going back there IMO, with Benn and Seguin, especially Benn's comments, I think he is gone.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There is no going back there IMO, with Benn and Seguin, especially Benn's comments, I think he is gone.

I don't see any problem with the Benn comments. He did the best he can with a media scrum after Jim Lites, the CEO, completely lost his mind and buried his two star players under the bus.

Benn and Seguin are two of the best players in the game and I would have either in the lineup. Jim Lites nobody even heard of outside of dallas until he decided to be a complete and utter idiot the other day.

Its a CEO's job to be responsible, to manage. Nothing good will come of this. Like what happened in SJ there will a coach or manager losing their job because of this. Seguin and Benn will continue to have their jobs in Dallas, or somewhere.

Lites comments about the players are unintelligible. A pure rant. You can't do that as a CEO. period.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

It's like the scene straight out of Rocky IV when Drago mouths off at the Russian officials lol

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Hockey is so vanilla and boring that I love when something like this happens!!
the fact it's not the Edmonton Oilers makes it more enjoyable!

itching for the fallout..

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F07%2Fexcited-baby.gif

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Blackwood looks great but can't say it seemed like Carolina really played well.

That goal being waived off was a travesty of officiating. Blackwood first shut out should have an asterisks beside. Have no idea how that was called on the first go, upon review/challenge... that's just embarrassing to the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad