Around the League 2018-19 v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
f***ing flames

Do the Avs have any idea how to play 3v3??? Two rushes they had were dmen going 1v2 lol, they deserved the L there.

Reactions: RegDunlop

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Damnit. Flames played way better. The Avs looked so sloppy. These guys are considered Cup contenders? We'd probably still lose to them though. When was the last time this team got a goal in the last 2 mins.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That Matheson hit on Pettersson. I may be in the minority but I really don't see anything too untoward there. The initial hit wasn't dirty at all. The follow through is debatable, but realistically that kind of shove happens a lot in the league, and if Pettersson was 10-15 lbs heavier and more physically developed I don't think anything even happens there.

IMO you can't expect Matheson to take it "lightly" just because his opponent happens to be physically weak. He was probably surprised as well that his shove ended up ragdolling Pettersson.

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
That Matheson hit on Pettersson. I may be in the minority but I really don't see anything too untoward there. The initial hit wasn't dirty at all. The follow through is debatable, but realistically that kind of shove happens a lot in the league, and if Pettersson was 10-15 lbs heavier and more physically developed I don't think anything even happens there.

IMO you can't expect Matheson to take it "lightly" just because his opponent happens to be physically weak. He was probably surprised as well that his shove ended up ragdolling Pettersson.
Disagree completely. Pettersson was already off the puck and a normal shove would have been fine. But that was pretty far from a normal shove down, especially considering the position in which Pettersson was. For me it cannot really just be labelled as a shove though, hit ok, initial shove ok, then he went on to slam him into the ice (when Pettersson was already going down). At that last point his weight or being a rookie has nothing to do with it anymore. That's a player off his skates in a vulnerable position.

Matheson followed Pettersson after being undressed by him seconds before, so there was pretty obvious intent. I don't think the hit was wrong in any way, but the follow through was ugly.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Disagree completely. Pettersson was already off the puck and a normal shove would have been fine. But that was pretty far from a normal shove down, especially considering the position in which Pettersson was. For me it cannot really just be labelled as a shove though, hit ok, initial shove ok, then he went on to slam him into the ice (when Pettersson was already going down). At that last point his weight or being a rookie has nothing to do with it anymore. That's a player off his skates in a vulnerable position.

Matheson followed Pettersson after being undressed by him seconds before, so there was pretty obvious intent. I don't think the hit was wrong in any way, but the follow through was ugly.

It was all in one motion as far as I can tell in the slow-mo replays. He didn't do two shoves - the initial shoving motion sent him airborne and the followthrough sent him to the ground. If Pettersson was heavier or more physically mature, he likely doesn't go airborne on the initial shove. I could see a roughing penalty but I can't see a suspension and I don't think it was particularly dirty. There was a second there where Matheson could have actually rammed Pettersson into the boards from behind, but he decided not to, and hit him from the side.

Sucks that EP got hurt and I hope there are no lingering effects from the injury.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
It was all in one motion as far as I can tell in the slow-mo replays. He didn't do two shoves - the initial shoving motion sent him airborne and the followthrough sent him to the ground. If Pettersson was heavier or more physically mature, he likely doesn't go airborne on the initial shove. I could see a roughing penalty but I can't see a suspension and I don't think it was particularly dirty.

For me the follow-through is basically the slam.

What bothers me about it is that he has already placed his stick between/behind Pettersson's legs, so when slamming him down he knows it'll be a bad fall. Not much else can happen seeing as Petterson was already "airborne". That and the intent, going after a skilled player just because that player just made you look like a fool. The first thing I think is very indicative of an intentionally dirty play, the second obviously doesn't make it more dirty, but it adds culpability imho and there is no question he wasn't surprised, I knew who he was going after.

I am so sick of seeing the skilled players being targeted.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
For me the follow-through is basically the slam.

What bothers me about it is that he has already placed his stick between/behind Pettersson's legs, so when slamming him down he knows it'll be a bad fall. Not much else can happen seeing as Petterson was already "airborne". That and the intent, going after a skilled player just because that player just made you look like a fool. The first thing I think is very indicative of an intentionally dirty play, the second obviously doesn't make it more dirty, but it adds culpability imho and there is no question he wasn't surprised, I knew who he was going after.

I am so sick of seeing the skilled players being targeted.

Matheson could have destroyed Pettersson by crosschecking him into boards, but he actually decides not to and hits him from the side instead. I think that shows his intent wasn't to injure. I guess it could be a case of splitting hairs, but I really don't think it was especially dirty.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Tbh I think Pettersson was lucky here (despite the concussion). He was lucky that his body turned going down because when Matheson started to push him down it looked like he would have gone down backwards. That would probably have been a clean hit to the back of his head and pretty serious consequenses.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

100% agree. The initial hit was fine, but the slam is not. That's a clear suspension to me. Hate to see that type of thing happen. NHL needs to do a better job protecting the skilled players in this league.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoGjna-W0AAzXxh.jpg:large

Saw this on the Mains with regards to Nylander’s potential contract. Leafs fans saying that the longer he holds out this season the lower his cap hit will be in the upcoming seasons. Any of our cap smart people like @Fourier able to give insight.
I suspect they are right. The ridiculous starts for Matthews and Marner are going to make Dubas very leery of giving Nylander what he wants. Matthews can't keep scoring on 50% of his shots but he could get 60 goals and 90+ points this year which would get him $12M I would expect. Marner may also get over 80 points and would be in line for $9M or so.

Nylander is the fourth wheel and is the most expendable of the Leafs big guns. Dubas has no pressure on him to sign Nylander right now since the Leafs are 5-1 and scoring at a torrid pace. Kapanen is also off to a fast start. To be honest I think they are content with letting him sit and pressuring him to sign a team friendly deal. The thing is, if he doe I think they trade him anyway for defense. And the lower his price tag the better return they will get on a trade.

If I was Montreal I would try top get Nylander to sign an offer sheet at $8M for 4 years with the last year at $9M. They would be risking their #1 pick this year but their division is so soft that they may even have a shot at the playoffs if Price has a good year. Nylander could play center for them. I am not sure the Leafs would match because if Nylander has a slow start and only ends up in the 50-60 point range at $8M he would not likely get more than the OS return.

Reactions: IAGTTAYM and nabob

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I don't know what I did to deserve todays results. Havent had many Oilers and Leafs wins on the same day the last 12 years.
Super gross that you cheer for 2 teams like this. ESPECIALLY with one of them being the Leafs.

Like, you do you, and fandom is subjective....but it’s gross.

I hate the Leafs so much.

Last edited:

Deegee

Oct 29, 2013
Edmonton, AB
League needs to protect it's current and future stars. Pettersson is going to be a star in this league.

I bet it's a 1-2 game suspension, and it should be. I love hard hitting and strong play. There is no need for blatant intent to injury.

Reactions: Aerrol

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Tbh I think Pettersson was lucky here (despite the concussion). He was lucky that his body turned going down because when Matheson started to push him down it looked like he would have gone down backwards. That would probably have been a clean hit to the back of his head and pretty serious consequenses.

All brain traumas are serious and a hit to the back of the head isn't necessarily worse. Actually per this recent study the parietal bones on the side/top of the skull were actually shown to be weaker.

(PDF) Strength analysis of human skull on high speed impact

Here is a link showing the bones of the skull.

File:Human skull side simplified (bones).svg - Wikipedia

That doesn't necessarily mean a trauma directed through the parietals is going to be worse but it is noteworthy. The direction the trauma enters the brain can determine what part of the brain is most affected, however there is generally an overall inflammation response within the brain in response to concussions. I can't remember the researcher or I would share a link but her research includes brain images showing the effects of brain injuries as they increase in severity and it's kind of mind blowing (pun intended) to see the global effect of a concussion on the brain. Also, often times with a blow to the head a significant portion of the trauma to the brain is from the brain being thrown against the inside of the skull as a secondary effect of the initial head impact.

Anyways, this hit on Pettersson isn't suspension worthy, it's the throwing him to the ice from a vulnerable position that's dirty and suspension worthy.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
All brain traumas are serious and a hit to the back of the head isn't necessarily worse. Actually per this recent study the parietal bones on the side/top of the skull were actually shown to be weaker.

(PDF) Strength analysis of human skull on high speed impact

Here is a link showing the bones of the skull.

File:Human skull side simplified (bones).svg - Wikipedia

That doesn't necessarily mean a trauma directed through the parietals is going to be worse but it is noteworthy. The direction the trauma enters the brain can determine what part of the brain is most affected, however there is generally an overall inflammation response within the brain in response to concussions. I can't remember the researcher or I would share a link but her research includes brain images showing the effects of brain injuries as they increase in severity and it's kind of mind blowing (pun intended) to see the global effect of a concussion on the brain. Also, often times with a blow to the head a significant portion of the trauma to the brain is from the brain being thrown against the inside of the skull as a secondary effect of the initial head impact.

Anyways, this hit on Pettersson isn't suspension worthy, it's the throwing him to the ice from a vulnerable position that's dirty and suspension worthy.
Thanks. That is interesting reading (and I am not being sarcastic).

Agree on the hit being clean but the aftermath was. Vulnerable position is key of course, as it should be. If a rookie does not keep his head up or positions himself badly along the boards you can't just go for blaming the rookie for not being tough/experienced enough. Those are the new rules of the game and they have come into place for a reason. I almost don't know any high-end skilled player who hasn't been targeted again and again with this kind of play.

Reactions: Aerrol

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It's still so weird to me to see Erik Karlsson in a Sharks jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad