Around the League 2018-19: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
To me it was apparent that something was up between Babcock and Dubas when Dubas traded the guy that Babcock had played in every game and in a PK role for a guy who Babcock was decidedly unenthusiastic about. That was a clear flex by the GM at the coach.

None

Feb 22, 2012
everything hinges on the playoff performance.
i doubt the Leafs fire Babbz. but i can see them negotiating a buyout so he can walk

I'll preface this with being uncertain about whether it was Babcock or not, but I recall the media saying that Babcock was looking to set a precedent with coaching salary because he felt coaches were undercompensated.
If I'm remembering right, I can't see Babcock accepting a buyout of less than he's owed for those 4 remaining seasons that he's under contract.

That management better be sure they're making the right decision if they choose to fire him though. The media is trashing Babcock now, but imagine what it's going to be like to be the guy that replaces him if they struggle out of the gate.

As a fan of another team it's like watching a circus and hoping the tent catches fire :laugh:

Reactions: KingBogo

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'll preface this with being uncertain about whether it was Babcock or not, but I recall the media saying that Babcock was looking to set a precedent with coaching salary because he felt coaches were undercompensated.
If I'm remembering right, I can't see Babcock accepting a buyout of less than he's owed for those 4 remaining seasons that he's under contract.

That management better be sure they're making the right decision if they choose to fire him though. The media is trashing Babcock now, but imagine what it's going to be like to be the guy that replaces him if they struggle out of the gate.

As a fan of another team it's like watching a circus and hoping the tent catches fire :laugh:
Why would there be a buyout clause in a coach's contract? They're not subject to the cap.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Why would there be a buyout clause in a coach's contract? They're not subject to the cap.

There's no reason to assume there will be a buyout, which is what my post said.

That buyout talk was from the person I was quoting, I assumed they were implying the Leafs would negotiate him down to a lower dollar figure. My reply said that Babcock would have no reason to do that, but even if he did consider it it would be inane given he felt coaches were undercompensated.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
There's no reason to assume there will be a buyout, which is what my post said.

That was from the person I was quoting, I assumed they were implying the Leafs would negotiate him down to a lower dollar figure. My reply said that Babcock would have no reason to do that, but even if he did consider it it would be inane given he felt coaches were undercompensated.
Sorry - wasn't trying to attribute that to you. I just haven't heard of buyouts on any coach's contract. I was under the impression that when they get fired they just keep getting paid unless some other team hires them.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Sorry - wasn't trying to attribute that to you. I just haven't heard of buyouts on any coach's contract. I was under the impression that when they get fired they just keep getting paid unless some other team hires them.

Yeah, if the Leafs fire him they'll be on the hook for the remainder of his contract. But if they did fire him he's under no obligation to do them any favours by taking a lower dollar amount in a "buyout".

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
past tense, sir.
it's been a while.
Fair. That said, I do not understand how anyone who calls themselves a coach can pinpoint handedness as the main issue, when the team literally has nothing on the right side.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
It wouldn’t shock me even though the Bruins are probably the favorite in that series.
Add in the fact that Sheldon Keefe seems to be Dubas' guy (and just re-signed with the Marlies despite the fact he should be a head coach candidate this offseason) and is doing great things at every level he's coached before...when there's smoke there's fire imo.

Reactions: ps241

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Add in the fact that Sheldon Keefe seems to be Dubas' guy (and just re-signed with the Marlies despite the fact he should be a head coach candidate this offseason) and is doing great things at every level he's coached before...when there's smoke there's fire imo.
I heard Keefe got severely overpaid to stay with the Marlies. Is that a move to keep him around just long enough to get Babcock out of the way?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, if the Leafs fire him they'll be on the hook for the remainder of his contract. But if they did fire him he's under no obligation to do them any favours by taking a lower dollar amount in a "buyout".

The incentive for Babcock to accept a lesser amount is so that he can go coach elsewhere. I'm sure that lesser amount would still be a lot of money. I don't recall ever having heard of that happening before. That doesn't mean it hasn't or that it can't.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
The incentive for Babcock to accept a lesser amount is so that he can go coach elsewhere. I'm sure that lesser amount would still be a lot of money. I don't recall ever having heard of that happening before. That doesn't mean it hasn't or that it can't.
yeah, not sure why no one can't see this as an option.

Babcock's a proud man. if his GM doesn't want him and he isn't given the players he needs to succeed (in his own mind), he'll take some money and walk away. there will be a coaching gig in Seattle soon.

remember: this Babcock thing isn't sudden. the Leafs may have to decide between a happy babcock and a happy Matthews. is Matthews tells Dubas that he cannot stand playing for Babcock and things go sour real quick, there will be lots of issues to deal with

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Babcock's a proud man. if his GM doesn't want him and he isn't given the players he needs to succeed (in his own mind), he'll take some money and walk away. there will be a coaching gig in Seattle soon.

remember: this Babcock thing isn't sudden. the Leafs may have to decide between a happy babcock and a happy Matthews. is Matthews tells Dubas that he cannot stand playing for Babcock and things go sour real quick, there will be lots of issues to deal with

It is also a results driven league, and while Babcock had early success, if he loses this year, it will once in 7 years that he has got out of the first round of the playoffs, and that one year the coach he beat was...Bruce Boudreau.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

They'll just buy Babcock out of his contract (AKA fire him) and replace him. Crawford is only an interim HC and given that he not only convinced Matthews to sign with ZSC and has coached him before it makes a lot of sense to bring Crawford in. It all depends on how Dubas feels about him I suppose. Dubas is looking to build an NHLe heavy team. Babcock likes his two-way physical guys but Dubas just wants the numbers guys who drive the play behind the scenes. If Babcock doesn't get the Leafs into the 2nd round at least I'd imagine Dubas will let him go and hire Crawford.

Reactions: Maukkis

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Montreal has passed Columbus again in the standings. If Columbus misses out does that put the tag of cancer on Matt Duchene. Colorado made the playoffs without him. Ottawa went from contender with Turris to loser with Duchene, and this year's Uber ride did him no favours. Now Columbus is sinking. Boy their GM has probably traded himself out of a job. Missing the playoffs, and then losing their stars will be a deathblow to that organisation. I am amazed, because I consider Werenski and Jones to be among the top 5 best defensive pairings in hockey.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
They'll just buy Babcock out of his contract (AKA fire him) and replace him. Crawford is only an interim HC and given that he not only convinced Matthews to sign with ZSC and has coached him before it makes a lot of sense to bring Crawford in. It all depends on how Dubas feels about him I suppose. Dubas is looking to build an NHLe heavy team. Babcock likes his two-way physical guys but Dubas just wants the numbers guys who drive the play behind the scenes. If Babcock doesn't get the Leafs into the 2nd round at least I'd imagine Dubas will let him go and hire Crawford.
Wouldn't that be something if Leafs ownership give Dubas the okay to fire Babcock half way through his 8 year $50 M contract. After the fanfare of the Babcock sweepstakes 3 1/2 years ago if he now gets let go half way through Dubas better hope his s*** don't stink at any point over the next few years. He is already starting to screw himself with some of his contracts he has given out. It just seems so likely this is all going to blowup in a flaming mess at some point. It is fun to hate the Leafs.

Reactions: Gm0ney

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Wouldn't that be something if Leafs ownership give Dubas the okay to fire Babcock half way through his 8 year $50 M contract. After the fanfare of the Babcock sweepstakes 3 1/2 years ago if he now gets let go half way through Dubas better hope his s*** don't stink at any point over the next few years. He is already starting to screw himself with some of his contracts he has given out. It just seems so likely this is all going to blowup in a flaming mess at some point. It is fun to hate the Leafs.

I think the leafs had a good thing going with Lou, Hunter, and Dubas but Shanny had to pick his god. Time will tell if Dubas can handle the weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad