Around the League 2018-19: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Just hope the Leafs can't find a buyer and he stays in Europe so they can do this all over again next year with him Kapanen, Marner, Gardiner, and Mathews

Gardiner is likely gone unless he takes a huuuge paycut.

Every scenario Leafs fans have been using this last offseason to show they can afford the "big three" and Tavares didn't include Gardiner on defense going forward.

Will have a lot more of an issue now with 2-3 mil Kapanen looking like he'll be getting more, even if it's a bridge.

The price you pay for having great young talent

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I would say so, the guy wasn't eligible to be hit and Reeves ran right through him.

Those are really tough to call. Like with Wilson the guy is skating backwards into the player tracking the puck. It's hard to prove intent. But the results are ugly.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Those are really tough to call. Like with Wilson the guy is skating backwards into the player tracking the puck. It's hard to prove intent. But the results are ugly.

Most players might get the benefit of the doubt. Guys like Reaves and especially Wilson don’t get that benefit. Actually, they are likely assumed guilty first.

Reactions: voyageur

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Much like a great goal scorer can get many accidental goals. A cheap shot artist can give accidental injuries.

Kind of like bizarro hockey smarts.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Gardiner is likely gone unless he takes a huuuge paycut.

Every scenario Leafs fans have been using this last offseason to show they can afford the "big three" and Tavares didn't include Gardiner on defense going forward.

Will have a lot more of an issue now with 2-3 mil Kapanen looking like he'll be getting more, even if it's a bridge.

The price you pay for having great young talent

Well I hope they have a cheaper and as good option if they lose Gardiner he will get paid as a UFA by somebody, and losing him wont make their D any better, Dubas in hindsight should of traded Nylander for the best cost efficient D he could get.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have to think Nylander signs. Maybe the Leafs budge a bit to get it done. I mean Jesus, Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen as your 2nd line.
That's good.

This is his last year as a Leaf no matter what. If you sign him you can always trade him. I guess you can always do what we did and trade a player not playing, for his potential around the deadline, but I have to think this is the Leafs best chance to win. Need one defenseman. Like us. Don't sign him and you have 2 holes.

Signed or not they have the same 1 hole. They have shown that they don't need him on the wing. He really is very valuable surplus piece who should be traded to fill that 1 hole. Add 1 top 4 RHD man and the Leafs are scary good.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
oh my...
the trickle-down effect of the Nylander situation:
Kaspari Kapanen is a RFA. Leafs have to pay up to keep him. lolol

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Is there any way that can be construed as an accidental collision? Because if not it is really bad. Square in the back of a guy without the puck.

When I watch it, it looks to me like Edler is skating backwards into Reaves, to run interference because he's coming full tilt at the puck carrier, who likely would bail out with a 240 pound giant coming at him. And Reaves just ran through him. That's a tough one.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Dreger reports that the Leafs have made a final offer and the Nylander clan are looking at it. Kinda along the Pastranak contract

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
because nhl owners are stupid and don't want to break the Code

Maybe. But also possibly because the formula just doesn't make sense.

The player won't sign just any old offer sheet that comes along. By the time a team makes the offer rich enough to get it signed it is beyond what the team is willing to pay - considering the total in both salary and compensation.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
he signed according to dreger
upload_2018-12-1_15-59-9.png

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
When I watch it, it looks to me like Edler is skating backwards into Reaves, to run interference because he's coming full tilt at the puck carrier, who likely would bail out with a 240 pound giant coming at him. And Reaves just ran through him. That's a tough one.

Edler is moving backwards but slightly. I'm not sure he is even aware of Reaves. Pretty sure Reaves will claim it was accidental. I'd be skeptical but I can't say for sure from that little clip. A second or 2 more before the hit would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad