Around the League 2018-19: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Jets botched it with Byfuglien, says concussion expert

“The helmet to the chin usually produces like a boxer’s punch. That is not good,” Dr. Charles Tator said. “That’s the way you get knocked out, in fact. He wasn’t knocked out, but he looked wobbly.
“Stunned and wobbly: Those two symptoms are concussion. If you are stunned and you are wobbly, you are concussed. Period.”

Tator says you can’t simply rely on the tests the NHL uses in cases like Byfuglien’s.

I wouldn't say the Jets botched it, if the choice of having Buff back on the ice is between Buff and the person evaluating him. Wouldn't the Jets just ask if he's cleared to play again that game and go by what the Doc says?

Reactions: sipowicz

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

“The helmet to the chin usually produces like a boxer’s punch. That is not good,” Dr. Charles Tator said. “That’s the way you get knocked out, in fact. He wasn’t knocked out, but he looked wobbly.
“Stunned and wobbly: Those two symptoms are concussion. If you are stunned and you are wobbly, you are concussed. Period.”

Tator says you can’t simply rely on the tests the NHL uses in cases like Byfuglien’s.

I wouldn't say the Jets botched it, if the choice of having Buff back on the ice is between Buff and the person evaluating him. Wouldn't the Jets just ask if he's cleared to play again that game and go by what the Doc says?

They botched it, in the sense that they followed the league's concussion protocols instead of going further and erring on the side of caution in order to protect one of their most valuable assets -- though I don't know how many teams, if any, standardly go beyond the league-agreed recommendations.

I was very surprised to see Buff back on the ice after that collision. Nothing was on the line, he was clearly stunned and unsteady -- that's the point when the coach and trainer make the decision to pull him, over his objections if need be. Maybe the league should run workshops for staff and players on this, and make it known that bench decisions are final, and can't be overruled by players who aren't necessarily acting in their own interests. IMO, at least.

Reactions: HannuJ

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

It seems to be a problem with the NHL protocol. If a guy's knees go weak and he can't stand under his own power, that should be enough to say he's concussed and pull him out of the game as a precaution.

Reactions: Jets 31 and HannuJ

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They botched it, in the sense that they followed the league's concussion protocols instead of going further and erring on the side of caution in order to protect one of their most valuable assets -- though I don't know how many teams, if any, standardly go beyond the league-agreed recommendations.

I was very surprised to see Buff back on the ice after that collision. Nothing was on the line, he was clearly stunned and unsteady -- that's the point when the coach and trainer make the decision to pull him, over his objections if need be. Maybe the league should run workshops for staff and players on this, and make it known that bench decisions are final, and can't be overruled by players who aren't necessarily acting in their own interests. IMO, at least.

They don't need any new protocol to make coaches decisions final. The players don't get to play over the coaches objection.

The player doesn't get to make the initial decision. That is decided by the league concussion protocol. The player could deny having any symptoms when he actually has some. The player would have to be pretty dumb to do that.

The league concussion protocol isn't a recommendation. It is mandatory.

Mau might have been wise to hold him out, based on how he looked getting off the ice. Judgement call at that point.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
The league might not see it as a check to the head but the guy goes out of his way to either injure or try to injure players, absolutely no reason for that type of a hit puck was long gone

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
The league might not see it as a check to the head but the guy goes out of his way to either injure or try to injure players, absolutely no reason for that type of a hit puck was long gone

Well yeh but there was no actual head contact. Did you see the replay?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

The ref got the call wrong but you can still eject a guy for other fouls if there is an injury. You can get booted for a hit from behind, interference etc...

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB

Saw it live and many replays, call on the ice was 5 minute major check to the head, my later comment says that the league might not see it that way, but he went out of his way to hit a player when the puck was nowhere near him.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
The ref got the call wrong but you can still eject a guy for other fouls if there is an injury. You can get booted for a hit from behind, interference etc...

Saw it live and many replays, call on the ice was 5 minute major check to the head, my later comment says that the league might not see it that way, but he went out of his way to hit a player when the puck was nowhere near him.

I understand this. I never said otherwise. Just that there wasn’t head contact and yet some wanted to argue. Doesn’t mean I thought the hit was ok. Just that it actually wasn’t head contact. Literally all I said. Anyone with eyes saw there wasn’t head contact. Why even argue my post?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It’ll be very interesting to see how the league handles this. This hit in and of itself wasn’t that bad. But he’s done similar hits before with similar results.

Reactions: Jets 31

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
The only reason he might not get suspended is if the league changes the on ice call, they will take a look at and if they find no hit to the head or the head was not targeted they might just fine him, with dops it's a flip of the coin.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Its questionable whether he got the head but either way the hit was in the back and very late. Predatory. Considering the history it should be a suspension no doubt. The sooner Wilson gets a lifetime suspension the better. Too bad he will likely end 2-3 other careers at least between now and then. What a despicable human being that guy is.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It’ll be very interesting to see how the league handles this. This hit in and of itself wasn’t that bad. But he’s done similar hits before with similar results.
Agree , he's a dirty S.O.B , don't need guys like this in the NHL . I love hitting but with Wilson it seems his are always with an intention to injure .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad