Around the League 2018-19: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well yeh but there was no actual head contact. Did you see the replay?

Looked like there was no actual head contact - only because he missed. He came from a long way away just to hit a guy who didn't have the puck.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Caps Wilson just got a match penalty for a check to the head, might be time for another suspension
It looked deliberate. In spite of what May said I think 40 games this time. Wilson is a hell of a good player but that garbage has to stop.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I saw a one game suspension for a normal player. I'm consistently double what the DOPS actually gives

They don't care about interference, unfortunately. I think it's the biggest problem in the NHL.

If a player does not have the puck, he is not eligible to be hit.

My only solace is this hit proves Wilson hasn't learned his lesson. Hopefully next time he gets 40+

Reactions: bustamente

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Just by watching and awaiting the announcement. :laugh:

I have to wonder if the only reason he hasn't been traded is that no other team wants to pay what he is asking?
the cap has come at teams pretty f'ing hard.

don't fret. we'll find this out with Trouba next year. can't really trade him unless you want pennies on the dollar.

the Leafs' best option is to get a prospect and picks. they literally can't afford anything else unless it's an expiring D contract for this year's playoff run

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
the cap has come at teams pretty f'ing hard.

don't fret. we'll find this out with Trouba next year. can't really trade him unless you want pennies on the dollar.

the Leafs' best option is to get a prospect and picks. they literally can't afford anything else unless it's an expiring D contract for this year's playoff run

TML have an obvious situation where he should have been traded long ago. They have a premium player who is surplus to their needs and also is beyond their ability to fit under the cap. Meanwhile they have a gaping hole elsewhere. Nylander should have been traded to a team needing a scoring RW in exchange for the shutdown RHD they need. Should have been done weeks ago, even if it meant losing the trade on paper. The fact this obvious move hasn't been made leads to the conclusion that no one who could make the right trade for him is willing to pay what it would take to get him signed.

Jets situation with Trouba is a little different. Trouba is not surplus to our needs. The gaping hole only exists once he is gone. Also, it is unclear what his motivation really is. If it is only that he wants to be overpaid, the Jets should probably bite the bullet and sign him. But if it is location, or both money and location then there isn't much choice but to trade him. In that case I'm afraid you are right and it will be pennies on the dollar. The longer we wait, the worse it gets. He almost certainly should have been traded 2 years ago, sometime shortly after signing his bridge deal. Under contract and with 4 years to UFA, he had greater value than he does now. His value has only gone down since then.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
TML have an obvious situation where he should have been traded long ago. They have a premium player who is surplus to their needs and also is beyond their ability to fit under the cap. Meanwhile they have a gaping hole elsewhere. Nylander should have been traded to a team needing a scoring RW in exchange for the shutdown RHD they need. Should have been done weeks ago, even if it meant losing the trade on paper. The fact this obvious move hasn't been made leads to the conclusion that no one who could make the right trade for him is willing to pay what it would take to get him signed.

Jets situation with Trouba is a little different. Trouba is not surplus to our needs. The gaping hole only exists once he is gone. Also, it is unclear what his motivation really is. If it is only that he wants to be overpaid, the Jets should probably bite the bullet and sign him. But if it is location, or both money and location then there isn't much choice but to trade him. In that case I'm afraid you are right and it will be pennies on the dollar. The longer we wait, the worse it gets. He almost certainly should have been traded 2 years ago, sometime shortly after signing his bridge deal. Under contract and with 4 years to UFA, he had greater value than he does now. His value has only gone down since then.
with both players, you wonder if they want to be with their respective teams.

Trouba doesn't look miserable on the ice, so i really wonder what's going on.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
with both players, you wonder if they want to be with their respective teams.

Trouba doesn't look miserable on the ice, so i really wonder what's going on.

On and off the ice, publicly he appears quite happy.

Hard to say what the reality is. I suspect it is about money in the end but even that isn't simple. Tax issues and cost of living issues muddy the waters. He might sign for less in some locations compared to others. Some locations provide more potential for side income. And on and on.

I want to see the end of the issue and would be willing to absorb a hit to have it gone.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I have to think Nylander signs. Maybe the Leafs budge a bit to get it done. I mean Jesus, Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen as your 2nd line.
That's good.

This is his last year as a Leaf no matter what. If you sign him you can always trade him. I guess you can always do what we did and trade a player not playing, for his potential around the deadline, but I have to think this is the Leafs best chance to win. Need one defenseman. Like us. Don't sign him and you have 2 holes.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I have to think Nylander signs. Maybe the Leafs budge a bit to get it done. I mean Jesus, Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen as your 2nd line.
That's good.

This is his last year as a Leaf no matter what. If you sign him you can always trade him. I guess you can always do what we did and trade a player not playing, for his potential around the deadline, but I have to think this is the Leafs best chance to win. Need one defenseman. Like us. Don't sign him and you have 2 holes.
It would be tough to trade Nylander. I mean 8mil, plus having to deal with that attitude. You never know if he's going to try and hold out again. They are definitely going to accept pennies on the dollar for him in any trade.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It would be tough to trade Nylander. I mean 8mil, plus having to deal with that attitude. You never know if he's going to try and hold out again. They are definitely going to accept pennies on the dollar for him in any trade.

Nylander for Dougie Hamilton. Canes have some defensive depth. They would never get a superstar like Nylander in a free agent market.
Attitudes are common in hockey. I think Trouba's attitude was questioned around here. But if you find a team you fit with, the attitude can be positive.

As a side note, salaries are out of control. 22 year olds should not be making 8-10 million dollars a year playing hockey. I think it contributes to early burnout in a lot of players, not all, but quite a few. But the agents started it, now's it's a mess.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Nylander for Dougie Hamilton. Canes have some defensive depth. They would never get a superstar like Nylander in a free agent market.
Attitudes are common in hockey. I think Trouba's attitude was questioned around here. But if you find a team you fit with, the attitude can be positive.

As a side note, salaries are out of control. 22 year olds should not be making 8-10 million dollars a year playing hockey. I think it contributes to early burnout in a lot of players, not all, but quite a few. But the agents started it, now's it's a mess.

Doesn't really matter to me who gets paid as the amount going to the players as a whole is capped to league revenue. If the young players start getting more of the pie then it just means the vets and fringe guys get less.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Just hope the Leafs can't find a buyer and he stays in Europe so they can do this all over again next year with him Kapanen, Marner, Gardiner, and Mathews

Reactions: HannuJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad