Around the League 2018-19 Offseason Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The key difference with us is we were never hampered by big contracts during this rebuild.

Detroit is capped out. They have to trade away pieces just to get under. That is no way to manage a rebuild.

Isles should cash out as well on guys like Eberle. He most likely will not be apart of the future for them. Signing all these slugs and goons doesn’t help them at all either.
Cashing out on Eberle right now would net the team 20% of his actual value. Also he is 27-28 so unless you are of the opinion the team is going to be a basket case for the next 5 years why not keep him? Do you think he will instantly become a bad player the minute he turns 30? And if you have a 5 year rebuild you can kiss Barzal's ass goodbye the second he hits UFA. Fortunately I think this team has learned the very painful lesson as to what happens when you waste a franchise player with an endless rebuild and won't let it happen again. Also they didn't just spend millions on the best coach in the league so he can oversee a terrible team for half a decade.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Cashing out on Eberle right now would net the team 20% of his actual value. Also he is 27-28 so unless you are of the opinion the team is going to be a basket case for the next 5 years why not keep him? Do you think he will instantly become a bad player the minute he turns 30? And if you have a 5 year rebuild you can kiss Barzal's ass goodbye the second he hits UFA. Fortunately I think this team has learned the very painful lesson as to what happens when you waste a franchise player with an endless rebuild and won't let it happen again. Also they didn't just spend millions on the best coach in the league so he can oversee a terrible team for half a decade.

I don’t see Eberle staying with NYI for anything less than a market plus contract. It may be worth it for NYI to pay that but Eberle isn’t a long term Islander to have a deep connection to the team or location.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
I don’t see Eberle staying with NYI for anything less than a market plus contract. It may be worth it for NYI to pay that but Eberle isn’t a long term Islander to have a deep connection to the team or location.

I'd be all over this if I'm Ray Shero. He and Taylor Hall have a good history together and he averaged 29.25 goals and 66 points over an 82 game season when playing with Hall (rookie season not included). That's top-10 RW numbers and he's still in his prime. Islanders acquired him in a previous regime and he also had a below average year with them. It's also worth wondering if his lack of defense will mesh with Trotz. One thing's for sure – he'd give the Devils a very solid top-9:

Hall - Hischier - Eberle
Johansson - Zacha - Palmieri
Wood - Zajac - Bratt
Coleman - Boyle - Noesen

I'd give up a 2020 2nd that becomes a 2020 1st if he re-signs (save our pick this year in case we fall out of the playoff race)

Reactions: My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lou isn’t doing us any favors with Eberle, especially when he could get a good return from most teams.

Man remember when people were talking about trading Severson for him?

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
They just have so many holes. They need D, goaltending is a giant question mark. Their forward depth absolutely took a hit with JT walking.
Should be noted that the team has tons of good defensive prospects and that could become an area of strength sooner than people think. In the short term it will be a problem but this year with a sane coach I think it goes from nearly historically bad to just bad which is a significant improvement.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He is stubborn enough to potentially keep Eberle rather than trade him if he wants to make a run at the-signing him.

Especially since Lou's always operated under a win-now mandate - sans the first season in Toronto where Shanny put the clamps on - and this offseason's been no different. He still made win-now moves after losing JT and deHaan and he's got a coach that isn't interested in rebuilding either, that tells you he's not trading Eberle...especially to us.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Especially since Lou's always operated under a win-now mandate - sans the first season in Toronto where Shanny put the clamps on - and this offseason's been no different. He still made win-now moves after losing JT and deHaan and he's got a coach that isn't interested in rebuilding either, that tells you he's not trading Eberle...especially to us.
As an Isles STH the idea that acquiring several of the worst players in the entire league would be Lou's idea of win now moves makes me want to pull a Sylvia Plath and stick my head in an oven.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

the sad thing is, for a guy like lou, getting matt martin, komarov, and kuhnhackl are ‘win-now’ moves in the wake of losing one of the most talented players to ever wear the jersey.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
They were awful last season and lost one of the best players in the NHL. I’m not following.
They also replaced the worst coach to be behind an NHL bench in a decade and one of the worst ever with the best coach in the entire league which sorta balances things out. It's the bringing in players that totally suck that's the problem.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
They also replaced the worst coach to be behind an NHL bench in a decade and one of the worst ever with the best coach in the entire league which sorta balances things out. It's the bringing in players that totally suck that's the problem.
I think losing your best player is way more important than changing coaches. I expect their defense to improve, it couldn’t be worse. But I very much doubt they’re any better than last season. Probably much worse.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Mat
I think losing your best player is way more important than changing coaches. I expect their defense to improve, it couldn’t be worse. But I very much doubt they’re any better than last season. Probably much worse.
Mat Barzal is still an Islander so that first part isn't correct.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
That just isn’t true.

And it’ll be interesting to see how Barzal does with being the prime focal point of the opposing defense with Tavares gone.
The metrics say it is true. Every game the team played after November went: team playing like crap pinned in their own end. Barzal line comes on the ice. Game does a complete 180 and the other team is pinned in their zone. Barzal line ends it's shift. Team goes back to being pinned in it's own end.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The metrics say it is true. Every game the team played after November went: team playing like crap pinned in their own end. Barzal line comes on the ice. Game does a complete 180 and the other team is pinned in their zone. Barzal line ends it's shift. Team goes back to being pinned in it's own end.
Was Barzal facing the top opposition every night? I'm pretty sure Tavares was. We'll see how Barzal copes with not playing behind someone anymore, most players regress a bit when that happens as it's a big adjustment.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Was Barzal facing the top opposition every night? I'm pretty sure Tavares was. We'll see how Barzal copes with not playing behind someone anymore, most players regress a bit when that happens as it's a big adjustment.
Near the end of the season he pretty much was and it didn't phase him. He's basically a posession machine who must have some sort of force field around him that allows him to do zone entries at will. Kid is freaking amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad