Around The League 2018-19 Offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I thought they fired Garth and he's no longer working for the organization? Just collecting checks until his contract expires or some other idiot hires him (very unlikely) to be their team's GM.

Though I did hear something else that implied that he was still going to work for them, because his contract is too long and expensive to not give him a role right now, just that it wouldn't be as the GM.
I thought he was gone-gone too. I guess it makes sense to keep him around at least until after the draft.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You’ve been here long enough to know Lou. If you are under contract he is going to make you work.
I'm sure he can do a good job at fetching Lou's coffee!

I remember he was supposed to keep a few fired coaches around in other role's, but I think Larry Robinson was the only one he really kept around afterwards. Aside from Burns who wasn't fired and Lemaire who wasn't fired either. I think we kept Lemaire around very briefly after 98 and in between that and when he was hired by Minnesota. I forget how long it was exactly. Lemaire wasn't technically fired the first time, but he kind of was. I think Lou gave him the chance to step down and resign. If he hadn't and Lemaire said he wouldn't do it, he very likely gets fired.

I remember both MacLean and Julien were supposed to have jobs doing something else, but Julien was hired by Boston just a few weeks/couple months later and MacLean went to the Hurricanes as a head coach within the year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So is this a good trade for the Caps? They could have (probably) gotten more for Grubauer, but had to sell for cheap for them to take Orpik.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So now what does Lou/Islanders do for a goalie?

You can't make a huge splash with Trotz, bring back JT and use the same guys in net.

If I'm Lou, I sign two new goalies. Send Greiss to the A.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
So now what does Lou/Islanders do for a goalie?

You can't make a huge splash with Trotz, bring back JT and use the same guys in net.

If I'm Lou, I sign two new goalies. Send Greiss to the A.
Trade Kinky to the Isles, snag Lehner when he becomes a UFA.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So if JT and Carlson both re-sign before July 1, who's the marquee FA out there? :laugh:

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
I posted this in the GDT but I think Isles make a run at Varlamov. Clearly wore out his welcome in Colorado and Grubauer seems to be their guy

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I posted this in the GDT but I think Isles make a run at Varlamov. Clearly wore out his welcome in Colorado and Grubauer seems to be their guy
Maybe, but he's shards of glass. Can't seem to stay on the ice.

I don't think he'd do Bernier again, would he? I think Bernier's stock really crumbled in Toronto, even though he seems to still be a pretty good backup/1b goalie. Still not a long term solution.

They probably could have traded for Grubauer, even if the price was a little higher because of the in-division factor. And Lou loves guys like Orpik and the Isles (as of now) seem to have the cap space to absorb his deadweight and high cap hit contract.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
What jersey was everyone talking about the canes? Any others revealed?

They came out with their 3rd jersey today. Similar style to the one they unveiled 10 years ago, but Adidas and a slightly altered logo

Maybe, but he's shards of glass. Can't seem to stay on the ice.

I don't think he'd do Bernier again, would he? I think Bernier's stock really crumbled in Toronto, even though he seems to still be a pretty good backup/1b goalie. Still not a long term solution.

They probably could have traded for Grubauer, even if the price was a little higher because of the in-division factor. And Lou loves guys like Orpik and the Isles (as of now) seem to have the cap space to absorb his deadweight and high cap hit contract.

That's a fair callout. His 2016-17 was a mulligan in my book. Aggregate his other 4 seasons – he's a .921 goalie who played in 228/328 games (~57 appearances in an 82 game season). He could surely be a good 1a goalie in this league. I would love for the Devils to inquire. At $5.9m for one more year, he won't preclude the Devils from any UFAs (especially with JT91 and Carlson likely to re-up). I'd offer Keith Kinkaid and a pick

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
What jersey was everyone talking about the canes? Any others revealed?
DgVXThXUcAA4Ox6.jpg:large

Reactions: OmNomNom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad