Around the League, 2018-19 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
This is just embarrassing. Just raise the President's Trophy banner with no ceremony. You won nothing that counted last year.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
You would think based off the main boards Leafs fans had never seen players on hot streaks (while playing through a very favorable schedule) before.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Boy oh boy, TOR is a goalscoring machine. At least they will have some very heavy contacts on the team after this season.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
You would think based off the main boards Leafs fans had never seen players on hot streaks (while playing through a very favorable schedule) before.

Yes they are. They’ve also played the Sens, Habs, Hawks and Stars bluelines. They’ll come back down to earth once the schedule evens out.

This is their all in year though. Next season they will have $33M tied up in three players. As you said some heavy contracts coming up.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
They're going to go HARD after defense at the trade deadline. If we aren't in contention for some reason, BM would probably be wise to at least kick the tires on a Nylander trade.

Not saying you have to get him, but I would definitely be listening.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Pretty low risk pickup, makes a lot more sense than grabbing Aberg. Carlyle and Bob already know what Grant can do. Contract is only 650k. UFA again in July.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Pretty low risk pickup, makes a lot more sense than grabbing Aberg. Carlyle and Bob already know what Grant can do. Contract is only 650k. UFA again in July.
And they passed on signing him for basically league minimum.

I'd take him back for the depth (and he can always go on the wing if needed), but unless the Getzlaf injury is a week to week thing I have a feeling that Anaheim will just ride it out with the rookies until he's back. I hope I'm wrong, as I'm honestly not much of a fan of purely relying on having Rowney as the 4c (if/when Anaheim are fully healthy) - Grant would be good to keep around when Rowney slumps.

Reactions: AngelDuck

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
Get him! Derek Grant's about to find out what happens when you try to walk away from this team. You maybe get picked up on waivers at a later point.

Reactions: kducks

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I'm fine with them passing on Grant. Rowney is better, and we have Kossila and Steel as long term depth options.
Yeah, and with Kesler skating already it’s looking like we will be fine in the short term

I wouldn’t be surprised if Kes was playing by the weekend

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I'd take him back for the depth (and he can always go on the wing if needed), but unless the Getzlaf injury is a week to week thing I have a feeling that Anaheim will just ride it out with the rookies until he's back. I hope I'm wrong, as I'm honestly not much of a fan of purely relying on having Rowney as the 4c (if/when Anaheim are fully healthy) - Grant would be good to keep around when Rowney slumps.

Rowney has been better than I thought (though I personally take last year's Grant over him still), but claiming Grant is a no brainer IMO. We've got two rookies who have shown a lot of promise, but having Grant doesn't make us rely on them if they're not ready. Throw in Kesler's injury history (even if he comes back tonight, we don't have any idea how the hip is going to be over the course of the season) and Getzlaf's injury and this better be a f***ing no brainer.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think Grant is better than Rowney but we are already stuck with Rowney and we are pretty set down the middle, Kesler will be back soon, Getzlafs injury apparently isn’t serious and Steel/Lundestrom are doing well in the interim.

It’s on the wing we are more desperate for talent but it’s not bottom 6 talent we need..

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I'm good with picking up Grant and sending Street down for now. He's a good faceoff guy, too, which we kind of need right now.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I think Grant is better than Rowney but we are already stuck with Rowney and we are pretty set down the middle, Kesler will be back soon, Getzlafs injury apparently isn’t serious and Steel/Lundestrom are doing well in the interim.

It’s on the wing we are more desperate for talent but it’s not bottom 6 talent we need..

if I was confident that Kesler would stay back after he comes back, than I'd agree with this.

To me, I'm struggling to see a downside by claiming him. Seems like it offers more depth and insurance so we don't have to rush the kids.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
unless we really need the contract space i'd easily claim derek grant. we can slot him on 4LW and i think that'd be beneficial, even if its just as a safety net.

Unless theres some locker room issues that we don't know about

Reactions: McDonald19

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

Well, we know he didn’t sign for minimum HERE. That doesn’t mean that he didn’t start out asking for more.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I just saw that Edmonton is back in NA playing Boston tomorrow. I don’t get why the nhl sent the devils and oilers all the way to Europe to only play in one regular season game. Does that not make sense to anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad