Around the League, 2018-19 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Edmonton has 5 goals in 3 games and McDavid is in on all 5 of them. That franchise is such a joke, I can’t imagine how bad they would be without him.
Without McDavid, other tanking teams would compete for only the #2 overall pick in the draft :laugh:

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
It's really not fair an awful franchise like Edmonton who wasted so many top 5 picks ended up with the best player in the NHL for the next 15+ years.

Reactions: Paul4587

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
SJS lost to the Devils but I think you can see SJ is not playing full 100%. I am not putting them as sure fire Cup winners but they are obviously contenders and be a force.

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
Mainboards are unbearable after the Leafs hot start, oh man
Don't worry, just wait until they get to the playoffs and they realise it doesn't matter how much firepower you have upfront when you have a bad defence and a goaltender who chokes under pressure leads to another first round exit.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Don't worry, just wait until they get to the playoffs and they realise it doesn't matter how much firepower you have upfront when you have a bad defence and a goaltender who chokes under pressure leads to another first round exit.
Freddy is not that bad. He has had his bad moments but every goalie has. Let`s not pretend he`s bad.
And Vegas and Pit has showed that you can actually get far with a mediocre defense.

Reactions: Masch78

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
Freddy is not that bad. He has had his bad moments but every goalie has. Let`s not pretend he`s bad.
And Vegas and Pit has showed that you can actually get far with a mediocre defense.
I didn't say Andersen is bad, I said he chokes under pressure.

Vegas were 8th in GA last season, Pittsburgh were 6th in GA in 2015/16 and 17th in 16/17 (but had Fleury and Murray step up in the playoffs). So outside of 16/17 they are defences who ranked in the top 10 in the NHL.

You can possibly do well with a mediocre defence if you have a goaltender who can step up - Andersen hasn't shown he is that type of goaltender (if anything he's shown he gets worse in the playoffs). Does that make Andersen bad? No, it just makes him a guy who's not going to carry the Leafs very deep when it matters. Andersen is what he is - an mid tier NHL starter.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I didn't say Andersen is bad, I said he chokes under pressure.

Vegas were 8th in GA last season, Pittsburgh were 6th in GA in 2015/16 and 17th in 16/17 (but had Fleury and Murray step up in the playoffs). So outside of 16/17 they are defences who ranked in the top 10 in the NHL.

You can possibly do well with a mediocre defence if you have a goaltender who can step up - Andersen hasn't shown he is that type of goaltender (if anything he's shown he gets worse in the playoffs). Does that make Andersen bad? No, it just makes him a guy who's not going to carry the Leafs very deep when it matters. Andersen is what he is - an mid tier NHL starter.
Defense needs goalies and goalies needs defense.
So far Freddy perhaps haven`t been a worldbeater in the playoffs but I have a hard time naming him a choker under pressure. He would certainly need to step up if Leafs want to go far but I wouldn`t rule that out completely. But yes, he needs to show that first

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Defense needs goalies and goalies needs defense.
So far Freddy perhaps haven`t been a worldbeater in the playoffs but I have a hard time naming him a choker under pressure. He would certainly need to step up if Leafs want to go far but I wouldn`t rule that out completely. But yes, he needs to show that first

You don’t remember the Chicago series? He absolutely choked under pressure in 2015.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
It's really not fair an awful franchise like Edmonton who wasted so many top 5 picks ended up with the best player in the NHL for the next 15+ years.
Bruins fan here.They built new rink and NHL made sure they would fill it.Still remember Mario threatening to leave if they never got Crosby.Bingo here ya go.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Dion Phaneuf gives Bieksa a run for his money in terms of being a moron at all times on the ice

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The Kings are terrible. Ignoring that they have Quick they don’t have the offensive power to succeed. Kopitar Carter and Kovalchuk are all they have up front. They only managed 1 goal against one of the worst Ds in the league and an AHL goalie.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
SJS lost to the Devils but I think you can see SJ is not playing full 100%. I am not putting them as sure fire Cup winners but they are obviously contenders and be a force.

I can see they are not playing 100%, but they obviously suck cuz I hate them :sarcasm:

Reactions: Kalv

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
The Kings are terrible. Ignoring that they have Quick they don’t have the offensive power to succeed. Kopitar Carter and Kovalchuk are all they have up front. They only managed 1 goal against one of the worst Ds in the league and an AHL goalie.

The Kings were propped up by Kopitar's monstrous season last year. He had everything go right for him last year. That's not to say he's not a great player but it reminds me of Perry's Hart season, he won't have another one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad