Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Tavares will be good for Matthews. 21 y/o being worshipped one day and attacked the next is brutal. Let him score 40 goals while Hometown hero takes the media.

They need to fix their defense though.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

None

Feb 22, 2012

Ottawa obviously wants their 2019 first back if he's already shot down their best offer. I assume if he goes to Colorado they'd have to move one of Barrie or Johnson for more forward depth. This is an interesting scenario because of that 2019 first rounder, how much does Colorado need to add to that, do they even add anything significant?

With Dallas they'd obviously need to get rid of Spezza, but Seguin is a UFA next year, can they afford Karlsson? I can't see them able to take on the Bobby Ryan contract with Seguin's renewal in mind.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Don't the Ducks already have every d-man prospect not already owned by Philly or CGY?

Leafs move Martin, some chatter about JT recruiting C DeHaan. If true, they're completing their turnaround in a hurry.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure why people hate seeing Leafs succeed. Good on Tavares for going home. And they made Toronto a place where people want to play again. (Great people in charge) I have no problem with Canadian team success. People want their players to fail cause their fans are annoying and media gives them most coverage? Weird.
They have some talented players that are fun to watch, I hope it's a jets leafs final.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure why people hate seeing Leafs succeed. Good on Tavares for going home. And they made Toronto a place where people want to play again. (Great people in charge) I have no problem with Canadian team success. People want their players to fail cause their fans are annoying and media gives them most coverage? Weird.
They have some talented players that are fun to watch, I hope it's a jets leafs final.
It's just that when national coverage is 75% Leafs and they've been garbage since before the Apollo Program, I can't imagine what happens if they become legit contenders. 150% coverage? Is that possible?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
How is Tampa in on every negotiation for trade or free agent? Are they going to start bleeding young players soon? I just don’t see how they have any room to make long-term commitments while they keep adding to their core.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It's just that when national coverage is 75% Leafs and they've been garbage since before the Apollo Program, I can't imagine what happens if they become legit contenders. 150% coverage? Is that possible?
There is a reason why New York, Montreal and Toronto get the biggest media dollars you know. Naturally that gives them most coverage. It don't bother me but to each their own.

Reactions: naruto

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Ottawa obviously wants their 2019 first back if he's already shot down their best offer. I assume if he goes to Colorado they'd have to move one of Barrie or Johnson for more forward depth. This is an interesting scenario because of that 2019 first rounder, how much does Colorado need to add to that, do they even add anything significant?

With Dallas they'd obviously need to get rid of Spezza, but Seguin is a UFA next year, can they afford Karlsson? I can't see them able to take on the Bobby Ryan contract with Seguin's renewal in mind.

Any of those teams, fine. Don't care. My new philosophy of life is ABV. Not alcohol by volume, anybody but Vegas. Although if Vegas wins the Cup, I will probably be needing lots of the other ABV. :mad:

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Toronto has tons of good forwards, but is lacking in D. I wonder if Myers for Nylander could be the basis for a trade, or is he more in the Trouba realm (which we would not want to do)

They would want Trouba. We wouldn't do that.
We would offer Myers. They wouldn't accept - even with a fairly big sweetener - even if Myers was signed 4 years x 4 mil. Him being a pending UFA pushes it right out of sight.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It seemed that mostly everyone thought that was the wrong pick for the Oilers but they went ahead and picked him. Draft picks are a crap shot but top 3 picks should never flame out.

Not the way I remember it. Yak was the consensus 1st overall. There were some with doubts. I didn't like his attitude and I'm a little leery of Roosians.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Not the way I remember it. Yak was the consensus 1st overall. There were some with doubts. I didn't like his attitude and I'm a little leery of Roosians.

I agree that he was the consensus 1 pick but the at the time I believe the Oilers needed the best available D man, thus my comment that he was the wrong pick for the Oilers.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think there was talk of Edmonton picking Ryan Murray - they had a pretty decent forward group at that time (Hall, RNH, Eberle) but were weak on D. The rumour is that Katz overruled the Oilers scouts (who presumably wanted Murray) to take Yak.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I have a bit of a problem with JT. From the sound of it he was stringing NYI along. If he was going to TO anyway they should have traded him last off-season - or at least at the TD.

I can't help resenting TO because - centre of the Universe and all. The sports media gushing over them is a big part of the resentment. Also can't help resenting their ability to buy whatever they want. May not be right, just can't help it.

Otherwise, I like the city and the team.

If we have a Jets TO final the media will be extra obnoxious. Jets could sweep and still all we would hear is how wonderful the Leafs are. Probably hear how the refs were on Wpg's side (like that could ever happen :laugh:).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree that he was the consensus 1 pick but the at the time I believe the Oilers needed the best available D man, thus my comment that he was the wrong pick for the Oilers.

Fair enough - but don't most people agree that you always go BPA, especially the high picks?

Edit: You have to know that if they had gone for the best D they would have taken Griffin Reinhart. :laugh:
That would have saved them 16 + 32 OA a few years later. If they'd kept 16 would they have taken Barzal or Juulsen? NVM, rhetorical. :laugh:

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Fair enough - but don't most people agree that you always go BPA, especially the high picks?

Edit: You have to know that if they had gone for the best D they would have taken Griffin Reinhart. :laugh:
That would have saved them 16 + 32 OA a few years later. If they'd kept 16 would they have taken Barzal or Juulsen? NVM, rhetorical. :laugh:

Ya that pick wouldn't of worked out for them either in the long run :laugh:, they just kept shooting themselves in the foot drafting wise back then, whose left from all those high 2012 and earlier picks RNH ?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ya that pick wouldn't of worked out for them either in the long run :laugh:, they just kept shooting themselves in the foot drafting wise back then, whose left from all those high 2012 and earlier picks RNH ?

Well, 2 of their 1st OA picks are no longer with them and 1 right out of the NHL. :shakehead

They still have RNH and McD of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad