Around the League - 2015/2016 Edition Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Not surprising LA wants to retain Lucic. He's fit in nicely alongside Carter and Toffoli.

If they are starting talks he'll likely end up being signed and there would go another off the UFA list.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
If LA could get Lucic for under 7 mill they are set. He has fit like a glove on that team, still hoping he makes it to UFA. Also, watching Ristolainen what a stud, so glad the oilers passed on him lol.

Hope the flames keep it up. Great team to watch.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Mark Fayne on waivers.

I bet Edmonton would do a Luca Sbisa for Mark Fayne deal. Chiarelli seems cut from the Jim Benning meat-and-potatoes, soft-skill-is-bad cloth.

Increasingly it looks like the fabulous team-building Jeff Gorton did in Boston has led to super-inflated reputations for Chiarelli, Benning, Don Sweeney, Cam Neely, John Weisbrod, et al who managed to fluke into a Cup while pissing away all the work he did.

Interestingly enough,

Mark Fayne is who I think Sbisa has to thank for his contract.

When I did my research, Fayne was the only comparable contract I could find that was in the same ballpark as Sbisa's.

If we had waived Sbisa at the beginning of the season instead of Corrado, I would say that there would be a high degree of probability of Sbisa clearing just like Mark Fayne.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
:shakehead

Flames can eat **** and die.

raise-glass.gif

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Fayne was signed as a UFA. Sbisa a RFA extension. They aren't comparable. More to the point if the Sbisa camp used it as a comparable and Benning accepted that comparison well.... But I don't think that happened. The only thing needed was Bennings belief that Sbisa was top 4 material. As such Benning offered a top 4 contract and it was accepted.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Fayne was signed as a UFA. Sbisa a RFA extension. They aren't comparable. More to the point if the Sbisa camp used it as a comparable and Benning accepted that comparison well.... But I don't think that happened. The only thing needed was Bennings belief that Sbisa was top 4 material. As such Benning offered a top 4 contract and it was accepted.

Respectfully disagree.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/benning-getting-faster-is-a-priority-1.275229

"Brought 2 years of UFA for Sbisa, says he was signed to protect the team since Hamuis and Bieska are UFA's next year."

Fayne and Sbisa have very similar standard stats.

Fayne:
1AMvHcS.png

Sbisa:
ZIypNW5.png

And if you take a look at the time line of d-men that signed similar contracts:

ihmuqyL.png

Fayne was the closest comparable to Sbisa as Stuart is in a different age bracket.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Regarding the Oilers:

Say what you want about their goaltending and defense. It STILL needs to be fixed, but their offense is coming around again and performing like it was always supposed to with all that talent, and this is without McDavid.

This alone will ensure that they finally won't be a bottom 5 team.

Oh, and Hall is now tied with Daniel in scoring. He even has the same stat line (13 goals, 20 assists).

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
Regarding the Oilers:

Say what you want about their goaltending and defense. It STILL needs to be fixed, but their offense is coming around again and performing like it was always supposed to with all that talent, and this is without McDavid.

This alone will ensure that they finally won't be a bottom 5 team.

Oh, and Hall is now tied with Daniel in scoring. He even has the same stat line (13 goals, 20 assists).

great to see hall finally catch up to an old player in decline

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
If the Kings sign Lucic long term he will be known as Brown 2.0.

short term I have no problem with but long term he is a dead anchor waiting to happen.

It'd take a short-term sweetheart deal to be worth it, like 2x3M. Any more and I'd rather not see him come home.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Man Draisatl, although I have barely watched him play, looks like he may develop into first line center from his production thus far. Looks quite dangerous from highlights (they are highlights for a reason though) and his skating seems vastly improved.

Ace101

Apr 2, 2014
Man Draisatl, although I have barely watched him play, looks like he may develop into first line center from his production thus far. Looks quite dangerous from highlights (they are highlights for a reason though) and his skating seems vastly improved.

The difference from last season and this season is insane. Last year he had some moments but looked completely overwhelmed. This year he looks like an absolute stud. Hopefully we can get someone like him in this draft.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Well... it may have taken nearly a decade, but it's finally happened.... the dreaded Oilers appear to have surpassed us in ability to win a hockey game...

1173.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad