Around the League 2015/16 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I've been saying for months people's cap concerns were overblown and Lombardi, one of the NHLs best agrees.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
hello all. remember when i said "all nhl gms are idiots". well a guy that won two cups in three years just made that trade. enjoy hearing me use this in arguments for all time as to why most average humans with no hockey knowledge could be general managers

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
hello all. remember when i said "all nhl gms are idiots". well a guy that won two cups in three years just made that trade. enjoy hearing me use this in arguments for all time as to why most average humans with no hockey knowledge could be general managers

Everyone who works in the NHL is there for a reason. They never make mistakes, not a single bad move by any of them. You aren't an NHL GM so you can't judge them.

Am I doing this right? :sarcasm:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Both guys are off the books at the end of the year, and LA gives up little of value.

It's not the move I would have made, but it's a low-risk move for LA to add depth. Schenn is basically making the same as Bartkowski for the rest of the year.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Yeah you're not handcuffed long-term, but you're still spending $2.5M on two sub-replacement level players for the rest of the season. Weird move.

Maybe this "replacement player" stuff is just made up crap by armchair fans with an excel spreadsheet who are making bs comparisons without context?

Maybe cap space isn't as important as you guys like to argue.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Both guys are off the books at the end of the year, and LA gives up little of value.

It's not the move I would have made, but it's a low-risk move for LA to add depth. Schenn is basically making the same as Bartkowski for the rest of the year.
Imagine if Lecavalier decides not to retire, both teams will probably send out assassins to threat him.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
This would be like us giving away a more consistent (albeit smaller) Grenier and a 3rd for two cap dumps...erm, depth

This board would have exploded if we made that deal

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
This would be like us giving away a more consistent (albeit smaller) Grenier and a 3rd for two cap dumps...erm, depth

This board would have exploded if we made that deal

Yeah not sure if those 2 guys actually count as quality depth. I thought Vinny is pretty much done as a player.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Maybe this "replacement player" stuff is just made up crap by armchair fans with an excel spreadsheet who are making bs comparisons without context?

/one trade happens

/Jimson Hogarth will run that one trade into the ground and ignore every other instance of teams getting into cap trouble

/forever

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

Replacement player isn't a hockey specific term. Professional sports teams in every major sport use the concept. I think it is you that is an armchair fan making up crap.

Cap space isn't the question. It's efficient allocation of the cap. GMs have two goals: efficiently allocating their cap (or budget) dollars and balancing winning now and in the future. Everything else a GM does (drafting, developing, trading, signing, etc.) supports those ends.

For example, drafting well isn't a virtue in and of itself. Drafting well is important because good young players are the most cap efficient players in the league.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I thought board rules said we weren't supposed to target and make fun of other posters. Oh well. Not sure what to think about this trade. If we traded Sbisa (50% retained) and like Burrows (50% retained) for Vey and a 3rd... Hm. Would that be a net plus? I don't feel it really would.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Posted in the wrong thread, but I don't like this trade for LA. Also - looks like there is a rumoured deal between Nashville and CBJ going down...this will be interesting. :popcorn:

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Lecavalier and Schenn, two very mediocre players on mediocre contracts (even with the 50% retained, Lecavalier's contract blows) just got a better return than Jim Benning got for Eddie Lack :laugh: :cry:

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Remember when Philly signed Lecavalier to that contract and pretty much every armchair fan called that a disastrous, horrible contract right away?

Remember when armchair fans called trading JVR for Schenn a terrible idea because Schenn sucked back then and still sucks?

See? These guys make terrible decisions all the time that armchair fans would never do. Acting like your favorite team's GM is incapable of doing things like that despite all the evidence suggesting otherwise is the definition of blind homerism.

This trade is just whatever. LA got some (bad) veteran depth for the remaining year to help them out that Philly didn't need. Weal was really bad whenever I saw LA's games, so the 3rd rounder seem to be the only "major" asset here. That's Dorsett level asset right there. I'd kept the pick probably but hey, I'm sure they're gunning for the Cup and having two extra veteran bodies can help down the line.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Remember when Philly signed Lecavalier to that contract and pretty much every armchair fan called that a disastrous, horrible contract right away?

Remember when armchair fans called trading JVR for Schenn a terrible idea because Schenn sucked back then and still sucks?

See? These guys make terrible decisions all the time that armchair fans would never do. Acting like your favorite team's GM is incapable of doing things like that despite all the evidence suggesting otherwise is the definition of blind homerism.

This trade is just whatever. LA got some (bad) veteran depth for the remaining year to help them out that Philly didn't need. Weal was really bad whenever I saw LA's games, so the 3rd rounder seem to be the only "major" asset here. That's Dorsett level asset right there. I'd kept the pick probably but hey, I'm sure they're gunning for the Cup and having two extra veteran bodies can help down the line.

Aside from that, I also recall a rumour where Philly was contemplating sending us Couturier for Luongo as an alternate plan to signing Lecavalier. This team would look very different if that was true and had gone down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad